+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashes 5th and Final Test at the Oval

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    If these cheats had been Pakistani for example. would a one year ban have been enough in your eyes?
    Where your going with that Ethel with all due respect ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Where your going with that Ethel with all due respect ?
    I seem to recall some Pakistani cricketers being banned for cheating and if Im right, they were banned for a longer period than these cheating Aussies. So wheres the fairness? That's my point.

Hansie Cronje got a life ban didn't he? Also captain of his country like Smith was when he cheated. Should be the same punishment for all. They have all brought the game into disrepute and the sport might be better served without the cheats to maintain the integrity of the game.

Not a racist statement at all just questioning the cricket authorities application of their disciplinary procedures.

I seem to recall some Pakistani cricketers being banned for cheating and if Im right, they were banned for a longer period than these cheating Aussies. So wheres the fairness? That's my point.

Hansie Cronje got a life ban didn't he? Also captain of his country like Smith was when he cheated. Should be the same punishment for all. They have all brought the game into disrepute and the sport might be better served without the cheats to maintain the integrity of the game.

Not a racist statement at all just questioning the cricket authorities application of their disciplinary procedures.
    With you now Ethel .

Match fixing whilst representing your country and gaining financially from it is a far more serious offence in my opinion and they deservedly got kicked out of the game for good .

Laiked well in this test have England. I felt it was an important one to win and we won well. A closely contested series between 2 good teams and enjoyable to watch. Disappointing not to win the ashes but a great summer of cricket nonetheless. The world cup win and Ben Stokes heroics at Headingley will live long in the memory. Brilliant days were those two.

The ashes in the urn ev been replaced with a small roll of coarse grade sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    With you now Ethel .

Match fixing whilst representing your country and gaining financially from it is a far more serious offence in my opinion and they deservedly got kicked out of the game for good .
    For me Animal, all of them tried to manipulate the result of the games concerned. They all wanted to influence the outcome for personal gain, financial or otherwise.

I cant distinguish between degrees of cheating, its just cheating.

Ive been an avid sports player and fan all of my life, I loved it. I want to believe what I'm watching and celebrate outstanding performances and events. I no longer watch athletics because of the drug cheats, the Olympic games used to be the greatest show on earth when I was a kid, now its a spot the cheats exercise. You have to ask yourself, can I believe what I have just seen. Sadly not anymore in my opinion. Clean athletes awarded medals retrospectively have lost their moment of pride after a disqualification years after the event. Cycling is the same, riddled with cheats, cant watch that anymore either.

Back to the cricket, its supposed to be an honourable game and in many ways it still is. The game can do without cheats and I think the ICC should have banned them all for good. If cricket Australia wants to allow them to play domestically its up to them but international recognition? No not for me.

Spot on Eths. Agree wi thi 100%.

As regards punishment summat that affects the teams rather than the individual would be the best deterrent as the pressure on them not to even think abart cheeating from team-mates or owners would be enormous---eg

Australians caught cheeating--Cricket Australia banned from international competition for five years

Footballers caught cheeating--relegation of team for next season/ ban from European competition

For me Animal, all of them tried to manipulate the result of the games concerned. They all wanted to influence the outcome for personal gain, financial or otherwise.

I cant distinguish between degrees of cheating, its just cheating.

Ive been an avid sports player and fan all of my life, I loved it. I want to believe what I'm watching and celebrate outstanding performances and events. I no longer watch athletics because of the drug cheats, the Olympic games used to be the greatest show on earth when I was a kid, now its a spot the cheats exercise. You have to ask yourself, can I believe what I have just seen. Sadly not anymore in my opinion. Clean athletes awarded medals retrospectively have lost their moment of pride after a disqualification years after the event. Cycling is the same, riddled with cheats, cant watch that anymore either.

Back to the cricket, its supposed to be an honourable game and in many ways it still is. The game can do without cheats and I think the ICC should have banned them all for good. If cricket Australia wants to allow them to play domestically its up to them but international recognition? No not for me.
    Just my opinion Ethel and I do share your view that cheating is something we shouldn't be tolerating .

However there are differing levels to cheating .

The Pakistani cricketers and Hansie Cronja deliberately tried to influence the game to gain a financial advantage , their influence was far more guaranteed to effect the game , Cronje had the means to fix a match result the Pakistanis with spot fixing , where they could ball a deliberate number of no balls and cash in at the bookies .

Using sandpaper to alter the ball doesn't necessarily change the outcome of the match , a cricket ball doesn't always react the way you want it to , the intent is there for sure but any ball has to be bowled pretty well to take a test batsman wicket .

It is a lesser of two evils in my opinion .

I respect your opinion Animal its a subjective matter, we can all reach different conclusions on this.

Im just sick of sport being abused by this kind of person.

The decisions been made now and these Aussies are back on the highest stage, it just doesn't add up to much of a deterrent for the next one to chance their arm. What does a one year ban add up to 10 test matches maybe and a dozen one dayers. Thankfully this summer with the world cup win and a drawn ashes its reinvigorated the British public liking for the game but is all sticks in my throat Im afraid.

I am no cricket expert but I can't see the difference in roughing up one side of a cricket ball
    I assume this is to make the ball behave differently as it travels through the air [one rough side offering more air resistance than the other smooth side]
    So why is it ok to "polish/shine" one side of the ball, presumably for the same effect?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast