+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashes 5th and Final Test at the Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I am no cricket expert but I can't see the difference in roughing up one side of a cricket ball
    I assume this is to make the ball behave differently as it travels through the air [one rough side offering more air resistance than the other smooth side]
    So why is it ok to "polish/shine" one side of the ball, presumably for the same effect?
    Polishing the ball is perfectly legal Exile as you've pointed out .

When the shine has come off the ball which happens especially if the batsman have brutally despatched the bowling to all parts then it's illegal to use foreign bodies to influence the balls behaviour .

Basically if the shines removed then tough , polishing is the only permitted way you can influence the behaviour of the ball .

Picking the seam using bottle tops in the bowlers pocket has been used to cheat in the past also .

A bit like in golf where you are allowed the use of the tee when driving off but not on the fairway for your second shot so to speak .

It's a funny one is this because sometimes by cheating and tampering illegally with the ball you often then can't exercise any control over it and bowl a number of wides or it doesn't affect it at all or starts coming on to the bat beautifully and its the batsman who gains an advantage .

It's generally accepted as pretty desperate stuff .

Your assumption regarding the polishing or sandpapering the ball is correct Exile. Its to make the ball behave differently - aero dynamics for natural swing and an imbalance in the weight or roughness of the leather of each side of the ball for reverse swing. Each type of swing is achieved by managing the ball according to the rules of the game.

You are not permitted to rough up the ball in any way other than by natural wear occurring during its use. You are allowed to apply saliva or sweat to the ball and polish it giving a shine to the leather to achieve normal aero dynamic swing.

Therefore sandpaper is used to attempt to advance the natural wear on the ball and affect its behaviour sooner than it naturally would hoping for reverse swing. As animal has said its not guaranteed to work but its cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Polishing the ball is perfectly legal Exile as you've pointed out .

When the shine has come off the ball which happens especially if the batsman have brutally despatched the bowling to all parts then it's illegal to use foreign bodies to influence the balls behaviour .

Basically if the shines removed then tough , polishing is the only permitted way you can influence the behaviour of the ball .

Picking the seam using bottle tops in the bowlers pocket has been used to cheat in the past also .

A bit like in golf where you are allowed the use of the tee when driving off but not on the fairway for your second shot so to speak .

It's a funny one is this because sometimes by cheating and tampering illegally with the ball you often then can't exercise any control over it and bowl a number of wides or it doesn't affect it at all or starts coming on to the bat beautifully and its the batsman who gains an advantage .

It's generally accepted as pretty desperate stuff .
    My second shot was so rarely on the fairway

Out of interest gentleman, a few honest questions- What are your thoughts on the then England cricket captain Michael Atherton ball tampering against South Africa years ago?

Atherton did not even resign as England captain after the incident despite footage of him clearly rubbing soil/dirt (which he kept in his pocket) onto the ball- cheating in other words. Should he have been banned for life? Did his antics leave a bitter taste? How did you feel watching him cheat then go on to lead our team in test series for years after? Did you applaud when he made a century after him being exposed as a cheat?

Not trying to be pedantic here fellas, just a few honest questions relating to the issues raised in various posts.

Like the others he was trying to manipulate the game. I have to say I had forgotten about him and his antics.

Isnt he Lancastrian, that would explain everything

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Out of interest gentleman, a few honest questions- What are your thoughts on the then England cricket captain Michael Atherton ball tampering against South Africa years ago?

Atherton did not even resign as England captain after the incident despite footage of him clearly rubbing soil/dirt (which he kept in his pocket) onto the ball- cheating in other words. Should he have been banned for life? Did his antics leave a bitter taste? How did you feel watching him cheat then go on to lead our team in test series for years after? Did you applaud when he made a century after him being exposed as a cheat?

Not trying to be pedantic here fellas, just a few honest questions relating to the issues raised in various posts.
    Cheeating by any nation's team/ individual is cheeating Pass.

Adda banned Atherton for life just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Cheeating by any nation's team/ individual is cheeating Pass.

Adda banned Atherton for life just the same.
    I wish they would have banned him for life. Sh1t opener and sh1t captain. He ruined Graeme Hick's career with that stupid declaration.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    I have to say I had forgotten about him and his antics.
    It just goes to show Ethel that unsavory reputation tarnishing incidents like these blow over eventually as I'm sure it will for the Aussie players. No doubt in 20 years time Steve Smith will be in a privileged position as Atherton currently is covering the game on a major sports channel getting handsomely paid for his 'words of wisdom'.

At the Happy Valley Centre we say--

Time is the tool in which we learn. Use time as a tool, not as a crutch. Time is the father of truth. Do not let the passage of time diminish the evil of cheeating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast