+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT - a step in the right direction

OT - a step in the right direction

News broke yesterday that the Dutch government are going to make Dutch Multinationals pay the "proper amount of tax" and no longer be able, amongst other things, to write off losses made abroad against Dutch profits for tax purposes from January 2021.

Allied to the EU Law that comes into effect on 1/1/2020 stopping individuals hiding money and assets abroad to avoid tax, it is a step in the right direction. In December I will get a £10 tax free bonus from the UK government as will most pensioners. However, as I am taxed in the Netherlands I will pay 38% tax on it....... I can't wait for the December 2020 "bonus" as by then I will also be the Dutch State Pension and I will only pay 20% tax on my bonus...... ain't life grand

There is no mention in this NL government announcement of companies like Apple, Starbucks etc also having to pay tax on all profit generated in the Netherlands. A step too far right now?

Full story here: https://nltimes.nl/2019/09/11/dutch-...erlands-report

MA great idea but as we know ,there will be away round it At least you can look forward to 2020 and your extra 18% in your bonus Don't invest it or you will pay again The Dutch government are like the UK one, they just do sweetheart deals with your Apple and Starbucks ,then spout that they are employing people I employ people but they won't do me any deals The fiddle with lossess has always been a joke in all businesses

So far this is limited to Dutch Multinationals like Shell, Akzo-Nobel and Philips. The old chestnut about jobs doesn't wash any more. They employ far less people than they used to. At one time Philips, for instance, employed 130K people. Today that is 3100. Time to cough up. More difficult with foreign Multinationals as they could up sticks and move their head office elsewhere. I hope they get taxed sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    So far this is limited to Dutch Multinationals like Shell, Akzo-Nobel and Philips. The old chestnut about jobs doesn't wash any more. They employ far less people than they used to. At one time Philips, for instance, employed 130K people. Today that is 3100. Time to cough up. More difficult with foreign Multinationals as they could up sticks and move their head office elsewhere. I hope they get taxed sooner rather than later.
    Yes it's a delicate balance that the foreign multinational always have the ace card of threatening to move The trouble is global to many countries they can prepared to bend over backwards for them That's why Amazon will continue to use Ireland

Even more tricky with online profits. US firms sell a lot online and European contries want to start taxing them on profit made online. That nice Mr Fart over the water has threatened all manner of sanctions if they do as it would hit the already super rich shareholders of those companies.....

It seems that the mantra is "we are the 1% and intend to stay there and make the gap even larger".

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)