+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next up - Hearts

Next up - Hearts

Motherwell travel to Tynecastle on Saturday as league football returns after the international break. Hearts got the win in the League Cup clash at Fir Park last month. Will the result be reversed this weekend? - External Link

Mixed feelings about this one. Tynecastle is perhaps not the Motherwell graveyard it has been in years gone by but it's still a tricky place to go. They are also under strength and 'there for the taking' - yet they were in the cup game as well when they beat us 2-1 going on six.

I wouldn't settle for a point beforehand...but won't be gutted if that's what we end up with.

It'll be nothing less than a very tough physical game and I'd take a point beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    It'll be nothing less than a very tough physical game and I'd take a point beforehand.
    Apparently, and unusually for Tynie, our ticket allocation hasn't sold out. I thought that there were fewer of us than usual at Livi, there were definitely fewer at Hamilton, and now our section won't be full at Tynecastle. Perhaps more worrying - though I don't have the figures - I didn't think we had as many home fans at Fir Park for a Hibs game as we usually have. Is it the cost, or is there a deeper malaise?

We had a decent support at Livi for the opening day...Hamilton was probably a combination of pricing and the early optimism going out of the season. Tynecastle is definitely pricing - when you consider the fly one they're pulling with the lower/upper section thing the increase there from last season is huge.

Undoubtably it’s the cost and attendances will only worsen. Let’s be honest our game is worsening .. we have sub standard players on loan for 6-12 months ... foreign players who have been released either injured or just rotten ... youth teams plundered before reached puberty AND yet clubs think okay to pay in excess £25 to get in for 90 minutes of phish. Wakey wakey before it’s too late.

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    Undoubtably it’s the cost and attendances will only worsen. Let’s be honest our game is worsening .. we have sub standard players on loan for 6-12 months ... foreign players who have been released either injured or just rotten ... youth teams plundered before reached puberty AND yet clubs think okay to pay in excess £25 to get in for 90 minutes of phish. Wakey wakey before it’s too late.
    What's bizarre is that clubs have woken up when it comes to home fans - season ticket deals, particularly with virtually every club now doing special offers for youngsters, work out at very decent value. It's insisting walk up prices remain staggeringly high, particularly for away fans, that is the major problem.

I’m going tomorrow as I think this could be a very good game. It is pricey and I now go to very few away games, partly because of the cost but mainly because all my money is going to boost the coffers of a competitor. Years ago the away side got a percentage of the gate ( I don’t recall how much) and at least I felt my team benefitted to some extent financially. Now we get nothing, so I seldom go (and I appreciate there is an element of showing support that has nothing to do with finance) but that is my take on the situation. The fault of the Ugly Sisters, I think, as they did not want to give a gate share to smaller clubs. Result - a less competitive league. If it changed to, say, 15% going to the away team (or better still 20%) then I might go to more away games and I think others might do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gowboy View Post
    I’m going tomorrow as I think this could be a very good game. It is pricey and I now go to very few away games, partly because of the cost but mainly because all my money is going to boost the coffers of a competitor. Years ago the away side got a percentage of the gate ( I don’t recall how much) and at least I felt my team benefitted to some extent financially. Now we get nothing, so I seldom go (and I appreciate there is an element of showing support that has nothing to do with finance) but that is my take on the situation. The fault of the Ugly Sisters, I think, as they did not want to give a gate share to smaller clubs. Result - a less competitive league. If it changed to, say, 15% going to the away team (or better still 20%) then I might go to more away games and I think others might do the same.
    In fairness to the Old Firm - as much as I hate typing that - they were far from the only ones. Even when Rangers were climbing up the leagues again we missed the chance to change the top-flight voting structure because Aberdeen briefly perceived a threat to their own self-interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    In fairness to the Old Firm - as much as I hate typing that - they were far from the only ones. Even when Rangers were climbing up the leagues again we missed the chance to change the top-flight voting structure because Aberdeen briefly perceived a threat to their own self-interest.
    When the day of reckoning came Aberdeen voted for the status quo and it rebounded on them short term and long term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)