+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5th Test

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    To be frank, it's a farce to say that Australia have retained the Ashes, it should read ' Smith retains the Ashes'. It doesn't matter what the result of this test is, except for Smith, most of their batsmen have hardly scored a run between them. Their bowlers have bowled well but so have ours. The only difference is Smith.
    This so true. Without Smith we would be bowling today for a 5-0 whitewash. We (me included) have slammed selectors and batsmen but if you picked a combined side 5 of the top 7 would be English.

And Smith is still there at the mo. He could potentially take this test into the final day. He really has been an absolute pain.

Gone It's that man Stokes again

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    And Smith is still there at the mo. He could potentially take this test into the final day. He really has been an absolute pain.
    I knew i'd put the mokkers on him

Many series come down to one man,the issue with Smith is that Root’s captaincy has been of schoolboy standard.

Putting Stokes at leg slip today was about the only bit of initiative shown towards Smith.

A lack of Archer bowling at him,no Curran left arm swing to trouble him.....,Archer not used enough against him and not enough “chin music” aimed at him.

Hey lads, you've got to give the Aussie Smith bloke so much credit though for doing what hes good at, ie keeping hold of his his wicket sensibly, and knowing how to whack the bat about if/when needed.
    Is it fair to suggest that we would have won these Ashes if it wasn't for him, because they most certainly aren't a world beating Aussie team at the moment are they.
    This has been a massive missed opportunity to win back those Ashes, for me anyway! .

I have been lucky enough to have seen many days of Ashes cricket both here and in Oz. For me the Ashes series always is one of the worlds greatest sporting events.

Competition is hard and margins are often very fine. A lot of the test matches are decided by what happens in key sessions of the match. Over the series these sessions have been pretty even and ultimately we have had a series that has been drawn which is probably a true reflection of many days of sport.

If we had have held the Ashes before the series then we would have retained them. The result, a draw, is the same, but as the Aussies are the current holders then they retain them. However, as I was at pains to explain to my 2 Aussie grandchildren this morning, they did NOT win the Ashes they just retained them after a drawn series.

Yes, probably without Smith we would have won the series but the same could be said about plenty of previous series when key players or a key player have just stood out when it really mattered. Sport, and cricket, have been the winners in what has been a great summer for our much maligned and criticised summer game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    I have been lucky enough to have seen many days of Ashes cricket both here and in Oz. For me the Ashes series always is one of the worlds greatest sporting events.

Competition is hard and margins are often very fine. A lot of the test matches are decided by what happens in key sessions of the match. Over the series these sessions have been pretty even and ultimately we have had a series that has been drawn which is probably a true reflection of many days of sport.

If we had have held the Ashes before the series then we would have retained them. The result, a draw, is the same, but as the Aussies are the current holders then they retain them. However, as I was at pains to explain to my 2 Aussie grandchildren this morning, they did NOT win the Ashes they just retained them after a drawn series.

Yes, probably without Smith we would have won the series but the same could be said about plenty of previous series when key players or a key player have just stood out when it really mattered. Sport, and cricket, have been the winners in what has been a great summer for our much maligned and criticised summer game.
    Good post Yarm , the Cricket for me this year has been brilliant loved every minute of it shame it's over .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)