+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WBA - away - match thread

WBA - away - match thread

Probably our toughest test yet

I think so. Difficult balance between defence and the likelihood of scoring a goal here.
    My view is that it would make sense to go for 4-4-2, but I don't think TM is keen, as he definitely prefers three attacking players ahead of the midfield.
    My choice:
    Walton
    Nyambe Lenihan Williams Cunningham
    Bennett Travis Johnson Downing
    Dack Graham.

I think that "back nine" provides the greatest security, although I recognise it lacks attacking width.
    As for the front two, it has become much more flexible in my mind.
    For example, I would be reasonably happy with Gallagher and Armstrong, instead, or even Gallagher replacing Graham.
    In some games, I would like to see the unpredictable creativity of Rothwell, but I'm not sure he should be starting in a game like this.
    Then there's Tosin. It's tricky, because there is presumably some deal with Man. City with regard to appearances. However, I can't see we will be breaking up the Lenihan-Williams partnership without good reason. Perhaps he will play at full-back.
    I'll leave Brereton and Chapman out of the starting-equation for the moment!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 29-08-2019 at 01:51 AM.

I'm really starting to think Grahams days are numbered (from a starting pov) He's just too old now, and we aren't seeing anything at all that warrants a start. Apart from certain spells last season. It's not working this season. Doesn't matter what happened in the past it's about here and now. And this season he simply hasnt put in any where near the kind of performances he did last ssn. He isn't occupying defnders, or hold the ball up. And he looks slow.
    For me, Gallagher must start. Its about the future now, and our investments. He is off the mark bow after Tues, and good to go. I want him to play in a 2 with Armstrong. With Dack in just behind in the true number 10. And the solid 3 of Johnson, Travis & Downing in behind. I don't want SG out wide, or Armstrong, I think they need to be closer together in their starting positions.
    We have Samuel close, we have other options, especially when Brereton returns, and DG represents the past. Keep him around for the rest of this season, but phase him out from now as he is just taking up a place. When everyone is fit is don't think he should take up a place.
    It was very interesting hearing TM talk about Chapman this week. He rarely talks so openly with regards what is happening and it just appears this lad is showing a poor attitude. He was going out on loan but TM decided to keep him around and he's still taking it easy. So he's had a rocket. He needs to kick start his career, and has put his feet up since he got his move here. It's not all injuries. It's his attitude aswell. This wasn't said, this is my view, but I think he's s bit of a daft party lad and is cocky. He has been called out on it and told to start performing or he will go out.
    I think TM was starting to say the same with Brereton. But to be fair, he has pulled back on that and confirmed that he's having a key hole op on his knee and will be out until after the break. And he had been carrying that knee injury.

Champs - Graham has been written off before.
    I have no problem with the idea of Gallagher starting ahead of him, but I fully expect Graham to come up trumps again at some point this season.
    It sounds as if both Chapman and Samuel played well in the U-23 game. Remarkably, our keeper and starting back four in that game were all under 20!
    With two centre-backs suspended and about 20 out on loan(!), we still seem to have a deep store of replacements in that position.

Funny how we see things differently.
    My heart sinks when I see DG substituted as there goes our only threat upfront.

Dack!
    1-0 up after 40 seconds!

Defensive frailties are popping up again it seems.
    Shame as we looked so strong at the back recently.
    3-2 currently so all hope is not lost but we need the break to go back to basics
    I would rather win 1-0 than feel we are a incarnation of Brazil.

Well our great record going into a international break continues.
    A goal disallowed in a much improved second half performance is salt in the eyes for us.
    I firmly believe a better September awaits however any Hope's of a play off place should be placed firmly at the back of the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Well our great record going into a international break continues.
    A goal disallowed in a much improved second half performance is salt in the eyes for us.
    I firmly believe a better September awaits however any Hope's of a play off place should be placed firmly at the back of the shelf.
    To be honest, Robin, the play-offs have never really been in the front of my mind.
    I simply want to see gradual improvement, greater consistency, and a more coherent style as the season progresses.
    This game? 45 minutes poor; 30 minutes good; 15 minutes so-so!

Expected that tbh. They are a decent side. We are ok, but have Bennett. He got the run around yesterday. It was grim to watch. He's captain, so I expect this while he plays at RB. This decision will hold us back massively this season. And imagine if Bell had made the mistake that cost us so dearly yesterday?!! Seems only certain players get rounded on, and not others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)