Get your very own personalised Duke's Bar gifts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middlesbrough set to sue EFL over Pride Park sale to Derby County owner

What happens when a club who's already sold its stadium to the team owner runs out of money? Does the owner sell the club back to the team and then the rebuy it at an inflated price?

I suppose that of the club has run out of money it doesn't have the cash to buy back the ground.

But hey that's in the normal world and football is anything but normal

If you saw an advert in the paper for a semi detached house in Eastwood and the asking price was £1.5 million wouldn't you be suspicious?

Not in football where a crappy run down ground like Hillsborough has a sale price double it's real independent valuation

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    When you say clubs I hope you include the fans because in virtially all cases it is their expection that force club owners to over spend.
    Well plenty of us have had to readjust where we think our clubs should be in the modern game and accept the financial realities as frustrating as that is for clubs like ourselves .

I fail to understand why Derby County fans should be any different , their very brief PL seasons since 1992 surely tells them that , four seasons in total since the PL formation and the last one ended with the lowest ever points haul in top flight history .

Surely fans of Nottingham Forest don't believe they will win back to back European Cups again do they ?

Or Barnsley , Bradford City , Blackpool , Oldham and Swindon Town getting another shot in the PL .

Not one of the above can even cut it in the championship these days .

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    When you say clubs I hope you include the fans because in virtially all cases it is their expection that force club owners to over spend.
    Nobody forces them to overspend, they choose to do it for a variety of reasons and, despite the numerous examples of things going disastrously wrong, some of them still don't learn.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Nobody forces them to overspend, they choose to do it for a variety of reasons and, despite the numerous examples of things going disastrously wrong, some of them still don't learn.
    The irony of this is that gambling is seen to be a problem in football. Folks are warned not to gamble money they donít have, yet thatís exactly what many clubs are doing. Running up debts hoping for the ďbig winĒ

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I agree, but let's accept that they are human beings, Mellow and have the same emotions as supporters. You have questioned the level of 'ambition' at the Rotherham (for which read 'willingness to spend money'). Think back to January at the outrage on here at the lack of 'investment' (for which read 'willingness to spend money').

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12