+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiff

We’re still too slow.. Marriott has little to work from.
    If i’m Honest it was pretty boring last night, that might be just because I am watching on the iPad. Never the same as being there.
    No time to panic but I am struggling to see a style of play that will be effective in The Championship.. At least we had a couple of shots last night.
    Did we get a reaction after Brentford? Not really but that was probably as the game was awhile ago now.

We're looking like a decent midtable side, can't say much more than that. Couple of things baffle me...

Why is Huddleston playing alongside Beilic? Seems a wasted position.

What's happened to Patterson, thought he was going to be an exciting winger?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    We're looking like a decent midtable side, can't say much more than that. Couple of things baffle me...

Why is Huddleston playing alongside Beilic? Seems a wasted position.

What's happened to Patterson, thought he was going to be an exciting winger?

At home I would like to see Bielik on his own in front of the back four
    Get a partner up front for Marriott, as well as Huddlestone tried. I thought like you it was a wasted position
    & why does Marriott come so deep when he's the loan striker, a few times a hopeful ball forward had no challenge on their back two
    Holmes was the clear man of the match for us

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well I admire your rose tinted view, but just how many games will it be where we "could" have won? Either we are very unlucky or more realistically with these draws mounting up, we lack the ability to score enough goals and as I've said before I think the latter is the case, so we are in for a very long season and I now think we may be in a relegation battle unless we can find goals from somewhere.
    Hardly ‘rose tinted’ Swale. I thought we were disappointing...again but, having said that, Cardiff and WBA are two of the stronger Championship sides and if we’d taken six points off them it wouldn’t have been unrealistic.
    As you say though...we didn’t...we need goals from somewhere and the contributions (lack of) from such as Marriott, Lawrence, Patterson and Dowell is a concern. They are all good players but aren’t producing for us...why?
    Think Bogle’s return will make a huge difference right across the back four but I’m more concerned about the goalkeeping position than has been the case for a long time.
    Thought Roos was fine last season but the Wembley howler might have done more to his confidence than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Hardly ‘rose tinted’ Swale. I thought we were disappointing...again but, having said that, Cardiff and WBA are two of the stronger Championship sides and if we’d taken six points off them it wouldn’t have been unrealistic.
    As you say though...we didn’t...we need goals from somewhere and the contributions (lack of) from such as Marriott, Lawrence, Patterson and Dowell is a concern. They are all good players but aren’t producing for us...why?
    Think Bogle’s return will make a huge difference right across the back four but I’m more concerned about the goalkeeping position than has been the case for a long time.
    Thought Roos was fine last season but the Wembley howler might have done more to his confidence than we thought.
    Derby seem to have the knack of making players that were good at other clubs look completely average at best when they play for the club! How many millions of pounds of talent have we turned into worthless free transfers?

I'm surprised any decent players will come to Derby as it seems to be a career graveyard, unless they just want to pick up £10K a week for doing **** all!

Roos is our weakest link, he doesn't command the box, can't punch, can't keep out a cross, is soft, and can't kick. He's the worst keeper we've had since Carrol

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    RA Roos is a very poor keeper ,heart in mouth time every time he has anything to do We will see nothing from Marriott till we sort midfield out ,desperately need a brain in there Eddy is unlikely to get his one holding midfielder Cocu has used two all his managerial career Think it's Angry who said he's not sure how were trying to play ,have to agree with him Lot of moaning on here about the display and it was average . But a million times better than the Brentford game . My MoM was Waghorn

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA Roos is a very poor keeper ,heart in mouth time every time he has anything to do We will see nothing from Marriott till we sort midfield out ,desperately need a brain in there Eddy is unlikely to get his one holding midfielder Cocu has used two all his managerial career Think it's Angry who said he's not sure how were trying to play ,have to agree with him Lot of moaning on here about the display and it was average . But a million times better than the Brentford game . My MoM was Waghorn
    Yep, I thought it was between Holmes and Waghorn.

Roos was as poor as Adi suggests last night but between January and Wembley I was impressed...preferred him to Man. City’s new third choice...so again what’s happened...why has he joined the ranks of players who don’t seem able to perform at Derby?

Despite "only drawing" at home I was more than satisfied with how it went. 1000% better than the performance at Brentford. Fans with the team all the way as well.

Scoring from open play on 6 minutes in a passage of play in which Holmes, barring injury or suspension, cemented a starting place was just what we needed. Having said that I was surprised the latter part of the attack took place as there was contact between the ball and Waggy's arm and, accidental or not, according to the new guidelines for this season, the goal should have been chalked off.

10 minutes later, we had a perfectly good shout for a penalty ignored by the ref, IMO he got that as right as he did the one to allow the Malone goal.

Roll the clock another 2 minutes forward and Cardiff were given a penalty. My first thought was the ref got it right as Keogh was tugging at Glatzel's shirt and then I thought.....NO! The ball came off Glatzel's arm which was away from his body, free kick to Derby was what he should have called and then the ref in me woke up and said "yes, but the 1st offence was the shirt pull". Pen was rightly given and Glatzel scored for his first League goal for the Bluebirds.

All in all, instead of 1-1 at this point it should have been either 0-0 or 1-0 depending on whether or not we scored our penalty.

Really glad we didn't lose anyway. It seems we still have an awful lot of problems with sides who miss out the midfield and concentrate on getting the ball asap into the box. When they broke they did it very quickly and en masse. They will cause sides a lot problems this season. Colin W was his usual self and I only hope the 4th official doesn't have a ringing in his ears this morning. We had 64% possession, both sides had 13 shots and we had 5 on target to their 4. Pretty even stevens and shows how dangerous they are even with just 1/3 of the possession.

Roos - nearly got to the peno but didn't look like conceding after that apart from the one Malone(?) cleared off the line.

Lowe - his play on the right is improving game by game and it should help him by giving him more options when he returns to the left.

Keogh - had a solid game again. My only criticism of him is that he continued to pass to Clarke in the 1st half when it was painfully obvious the lad was having a stinker and getting progressively worse on the ball as the half went on.

Clarke - The less said about his 1st half performance the better. 2nd half was a great improvement both on and off the ball.

Malone - One of his better games and the goal was well taken albiet from close range. Who expects a left back to be up there in open play?

Holmes - Great performance. I just hope the multitude of clatterings he got don't see him out injured again.

Hudlestone - some errors but cool, calm and collected when it was necessary.

Bielik - after some decent CH appearances he really looked at home in midfield. He will get even better.

Waggy - very good game despite some overly physical attention at tiimes from Cardiff players.

Marriott - almost back to full sharpness and fitness. Cracking shot that was defelcted onto the bar. Would it have gone in otherwise? We can only speculate.

Lawrence - No end product - again. Still can't tackle properly. Picked up a 5th booking in 7 games and misses the game at Leeds. All of the cards were silly. Last night's was a tackle that didn't need to be made and was one he again made badly. Brilliant at Huddersfield, mediocre ever since. Is he a luxury we can't afford? I am close to being convinced he is. Did he make sure he misses L**ds on purpose?

Ref was poor. Wrong in allowing our goal, wrong in denying Waggy a penalty, wrong in letting them get away with all manner of thuggery yet penalising us for standing on a Cardiff player's shadow. How that attack on Holmes when Mendez-Laing (?) clattered through him including an elbow through the back of the head wasn't penalised and a card given is a mystery. Holmes was also taken out at least twice more by Cardiff players. It will take some pretty dire performances from refs this season to stop Darren England winning the worst ref in a Derby game this season but I'm quite sure they will all do their very best to take this much wanted trophy.

I would have preferred a win

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)