+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: What Will The Outcome Be?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wolves v Chelsea Matchday Thread

Squad is too small.
    A bit short on quality.
    Basically only got plan A, plan B being just a slight ineffectual variation.
    No strong presence in midfield.

Just my opinions.

Apart from the earlier stages of the game, we seemed to lose our way. There were signs of improvement after the break, but at 0-4 any hope of redemption went out the window. After the accomplished performance of Wolves last season it seems that something has gone awry. Since our draw against Man U our match summaries have sought to find a reason (excuse) for a series of performances way below the standard expected. I don't know what it is, but think, perhaps, we have lost the 'hunger' that carried us forward last season.

Initially, I had some doubts about Cutrone, but the more I see of him the more I like. He is showing a similar willingness and industry as Jiminez and if given greater opportunity I'm sure the goals will come.

The game was pretty even up until the first Chelsea goal. Traore was at least going at them and trying to put the ball across. But, as with the Everton game that both Boly and Bennett played in, Wolves looked vulnerable at the back.

As good as Tomori's goal was, they even go in or fly right over, i question our zonal marking from the initial corner and then why we sat so deep in our penalty area as he got his shot away, not one player tried to close him down. Questions have been raised about Abraham and his ability to score at the highest level, well for his first, we failed to clear our lines and he punished us. For his second, not enough pressure from Coady as Abraham headed in. Coady was made to look bang average by Abraham for his third, he was skinned by the Chelsea scorer.

Going back to Traore's first half contribution, he had the beating of Azpilicueta, put the ball in, but we don't get enough players in the box to get on the end of it. I just think we looked a better side once Doherty and Cutrone came on. 4-0 down is and was a mountain to climb, but Saiss, via Abraham gave us hope with the header. Who knows how the game could have turned out if Doherty had either stayed on his feet or Wolves had been awarded a penalty. I ask why did he go over when in on goal? I haven't seen a replay of the incident again, but at the time i thought he was fouled.

Cutrone definately gives Wolves a different option and it was good to see him score his first league goal for the club. At 4-2 i just don't think Wolves went at Chelsea enough though. To concede the fifth in stoppage time just ended a poor day for Wolves.

We can all try and pick out faults from the game. Wolves haven't started the season well, we don't look at it at the moment. Too many mistakes at the back, we are not keeping the ball enough and up top there chemistry between Jota and Jimenez isn't happening. Some might say we have been sussed out, only time will tell.

Gav at least we both watched the same game. It is the first live Premier League game that I have witnessed live this season. It is so easy to forget just how good the standards are in this top division. One slight mistake and you get punished by quality players. Let us not forget that Chelsea were beaten 4-0 by Manchester United in the first game of the season. They had taken this on board and learned quickly.

Nobody has mentioned this but as an unbiased observer are you suffering from, as many before you have, the fact that you are involved in the Europa Cup. Historically, clubs involved in this competition really struggle in the season that they participate in this competition. I haven't witnessed any of your games but it does appear to be a recurring problem for teams.

It is certainly going to have some effect on the players. Not just the games but the travelling. However, in the league, with the exception of Burnley we have had a pretty tough start, playing four teams that are potential top six.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Nobody has mentioned this but as an unbiased observer are you suffering from, as many before you have, the fact that you are involved in the Europa Cup. Historically, clubs involved in this competition really struggle in the season that they participate in this competition. I haven't witnessed any of your games but it does appear to be a recurring problem for teams.
    Fair comment, so perhaps judgement should be reserved until you've played some of the so called 'lesser' sides. Having said this though, I did think that along with Leicester you'd be pushing to get into the top six. If you are to achieve this you need to be beating some of the 'bigger' clubs. This, you may well do as the season progresses so as I say, perhaps it is too early to form a any real judgement.

NB. This should have been in reply to your previous post abbo and not mine!
    Last edited by Leicesterbaggie; 16-09-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)