+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Today's formation .....

Today's formation .....

Looks like it will be 3-5-2 with Bennett & Cunnigham as wing backs. Dack & Armstrong as the front 2.
    Not sure about dropping Travis but I do like Buckley & he must be impressing in training. Let's see how this works out.
    COYB

I thought it worked well as a first attempt.
    Buckley struggled though.

Yes - a few nice touches from Buckley, but his rawness came across.
    Downing very good again.
    Gallagher and Tosin looked extremely promising too.

I thought Buckley did nothing controversial. He wasn't brilliant, but I did feel he held his own. These lads need to play football, so it's important they get the game time to learn a so they can improve. I get TM wouldn't play both him and Travis in the same side at this point, so he wasn't in the team. Downing was excellent. As was Tosin. He uses the ball so well, especially into our midfield. Johnson is the only one im still unsure about. Gave the ball away alot yesterday. Bennett had a better game, and did well.....see Auks .....
    Armstrong has now been given quite a few chances as CF. And now it's time we moved past that option, as he isn't effective. And I think TM sees that. Gallagher made all the difference at HT and I thought we clicked much more 2nd half.
    I didn't think the attacking element of this system worked in the 1st half due to the size of Arma, and the balls into him. No point hitting high balls into a midget. We did learnt to play it through the lines 2nd half. And saw much more of the ball. And it was sticking with SG. It didn't work when Armstrong or Dack where the spearheads. I liked it when Dack was behind Rothwell, Gallagher & Armstrong. I feel that should be something we see more of. With plenty of attacking options. But this Tosin needs to play. Which probably means 3 at the back.
    Cunningham isn't a LWB though. He's a LB.
    Like I feel Nyambe, Bennett, Rankin-costello, Bell are better wing backs and not great full backs.

A lot I agree with there, Champs.
    I wonder if Buckley's inclusion meant that TM is moving towards not using two holding midfielders in the games where there is a fair chance we will have the majority of possession.
    What we can see now is that there are lots of options. It's not all working fluently yet, but it is easier to make changes in the course of a game now.
    I'm still not certain what Rothwell's best position is, but he does provide an element of the unexpected, which we're probably not going to get from Travis, Johnson and Buckley. I wonder if he could be played as a central midfielder, alongside Travis or Johnson. That would still allow for three attackers - say Dack and Armstrong, either side of Gallagher or Graham.
    That would look something like this:
    Walton
    Tosin Lenihan Williams
    Bennett Travis Rothwell Downing
    Dack Armstrong
    Gallagher.
    Mind you, I'm not sure I would take the risk against one of the top six.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)