+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings v FC Halifax

Match Ratings v FC Halifax

Greetings from a New Zealand Pie.

Well as I sit here at 35 minutes past midnight on my hotel bed after just finding out British Airways have cancelled our flights tomorrow at minimal notice to Orlando, I happily reflect on the Halifax game. As it is the first game I have seen in over 3 years, I came away with my 11 year old son on a superb performance. My ratings are as below - please note these are my personal opinions.

Slocombe - 6 - had bugger all to do, but did it well. Kicking pretty good despite what I have heard previously this season.

McCrory - 7 - one of Notts’ weaker players in the first half. Faultless in the second.

Brindley - 7 - steady all game. Good performance.

Turner - 8 - a rock at the back. Should have done better with his header in the first half though.

Graham - 7 - pretty decent performance. Rarely looked under pressure.

Rose - 8.5 - extremely impressed and only made one wayward pass. I watched his brother play for England last week and our Mitch showed more commitment today for Notts.

O’Brien - 9 - was having a great game until Doyle was sent off, then he got even better. Unfortunate not to get MOM.

Doyle - 5 - was ok first half, but I was right in line with the sending off tackle. I’d like to see it again, but if looks as bad as it did in real time and bearing in mind he is Club Captain, he ought to be chucked out of the club. Did his teammates no favours, just the same as he didn’t do on the first day of the season.

Boldewijn - 7.5 - was quite impressed, but he visibly tired in the last 15 minutes. Should have been subbed then.

Thomas - 7 - missed a golden chance in the second half and his ‘miss’ from O’Brien’s Million Dollar pass, fell to Wootton, who did know where the goal was.

Wootton - 10 - I was in awe of this bloke. A fantastic, old fashioned Centre Forward’s performance. He took it and gave it. Got even better (like O’Brien) after Doyle’s red card.

Rawlinson and Booty - 7 - both did sterling jobs after being brought on.

My son and I had a great day and would like to say a big thanks to our mate i961 Pie for looking after us. My son even got a photo with his hero - Steve Cherry.
    Last edited by Lullapie; 15-09-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks for the ratings! Glad you and your son enjoyed the game and saw a decent performance/result.

Too early to say, but let's hope this is a turning point.

Thanks for the ratings, glad you got to see a good performance and a win.

The most encouraging thing for me yesterday (other than the attitude when we went down to 10 men) is that we made 4 changes and still looked like a team. This is rotation rather than tinkering, I think, and means we should be able to stay fresher than other teams without the same squad depth as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post

Well as I sit here at 35 minutes past midnight on my hotel bed after just finding out British Airways have cancelled our flights tomorrow at minimal notice to Orlando, I happily reflect on the Halifax game. As it is the first game I have seen in over 3 years, I came away with my 11 year old son on a superb performance. My ratings are as below - please note these are my personal opinions.

Slocombe - 6 - had bugger all to do, but did it well. Kicking pretty good despite what I have heard previously this season.

McCrory - 7 - one of Notts’ weaker players in the first half. Faultless in the second.

Turner - 8 - a rock at the back. Should have done better with his header in the first half though.

Rose - 8.5 - extremely impressed and only made one wayward pass. I watched his brother play for England last week and our Mitch showed more commitment today for Notts.

O’Brien - 9 - was having a great game until Doyle was sent off, then he got even better. Unfortunate not to get MOM.

Doyle - 5 - was ok first half, but I was right in line with the sending off tackle. I’d like to see it again, but if looks as bad as it did in real time and bearing in mind he is Club Captain, he ought to be chucked out of the club. Did his teammates no favours, just the same as he didn’t do on the first day of the season.

Boldewijn - 7.5 - was quite impressed, but he visibly tired in the last 15 minutes. Should have been subbed then.

Thomas - 7 - missed a golden chance in the second half and his ‘miss’ from O’Brien’s Million Dollar pass, fell to Wootton, who did know where the goal was.

Wootton - 10 - I was in awe of this bloke. A fantastic, old fashioned Centre Forward’s performance. He took it and gave it. Got even better (like O’Brien) after Doyle’s red card.

My son and I had a great day and would like to say a big thanks to our mate i961 Pie for looking after us. My son even got a photo with his hero - Steve Cherry.
    I can't possibly see what attraction Disney World holds for an 11-year-old over Bromley away. Enjoy.

Great initial post, glad you had such an enjoyable day. Certainly wouldn’t have been the case in most home games last season!

Thought we were comfortably the better side 11v11 and even more so after the red (a damning indictment in how little Doyle generally offers that we massively improved when he went off; imagine if it’d have been O’Brien or Rose that we’d have lost).

Some really strong individual displays but felt the most important thing was the collective. Key for me now is belief; we need to respect the division but simultaneously be more positive in our approach and believe that we’re best team in it. A good starting point is the fact we now should no longer be playing two holding midfielders for (at least) the next 4 games.

Slocombe - 6 - Nothing of note to do. Two saves he did make (1 each half) he parried away.

Brindley - 7.5 - Still not sold on us signing another RB with Tootle on the books, but in fairness looks a hell of a find. Solid defensively, got forward well and possesses a great delivery. Expect him to be first choice.

Graham - 7 - Distribution shaky but defensively his best game yet. Dominant aerially.
    Turner - 7 - A monster at this level. Missed 2 decent chances from corners. Hopefully the injury’s not too serious as a key man.

McCrory - 7 - 6 first half, 8 second. Not suited to the overlapping/attacking role asked to play and missed a good chance when he tried to head a ball at his feet, but showed his defensive quality second half when we were a man down.

Boldewijn - 6.5 - Can’t fathom why he’s being asked to start inside in a congested area that nullifies his strengths. Often looked lacking in confidence to go at his man, but gave everything and looked dead on his feet at the end.

Rose - 7 - Improved after the red card, ably anchoring and doing the dirty work in midfield.

Doyle - 3 - Second stupid red card of the season and we’re only in Sept. Surely even Ardley will struggle to defend him after this. Shame with him is he could be a major asset with his experience and know-how but rolling him out to play 90 mins every game (and starting us with two holding midfielders) doesn’t play to his strengths or ours. See his ban as a big opportunity as it’ll force Ardley to play O’Brien and Booty in the same team.

O’Brien - 9* - Magnificent. Was our best player first half and only got better after the break. Is the only player who is calm on the ball and will take the time to select the right option, as evidenced by brilliant through ball for the goal. Never stopped working and did more than anyone to cover the loss of a man by doing the running of two.

Thomas - 6.5 - Put himself about; was a threat first half and worked hard in a deeper role second, but cannot finish his dinner and would personally always start Dennis over him.

Wooton - 9 - Led the line brilliantly, really stepped up as the lone striker and deserved his goal. Couldn’t ask for any more.

Rawlinson - 7 - Slotted in ably.
    Booty - 7 - Had a positive impact. Would be good to see him get a run in the side now Doyle’s banned.

Thanks for the ratings Lullapie, glad you got to see a good game after coming all this way.

Slocombe - 6 - Not much to do, marshalled his area well and kicking was generally improved.

Brindley - 8 - Great debut and I was impressed with his post match interview. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Graham - 7 - Improving. Playing alongside Turner doing him the world of good.

Turner - 8 - Best CB we have had at the club for quite some time, shame he missed a couple of chances but a man mountain at the back. Hopefully his calf has time to recover before next Saturday.

McCrory - 6 - As I alluded to in the match thread during the game he was our weak link first half. He improved second half after Doyle got sent off mainly due to our change in shape which afforded him more protection down that flank.

Enzio - 6.5 - Improved second half, playing in a narrower diamond after the sending off actually seemed to suit him more and helped him with his defensive duties. Did make one very good tackle near the end.

Doyle - 5 - Was having a 7/10 performance until the sending off, nothing more to say that hasn’t already been said.

Rose - 7 - Did the simple things well and kept his usual misplaced passing to a minimum. Plenty of endeavour as usual.

JOB - 9 - Wow, just love watching this guy, we are so lucky to have got him back for this season. At the heart of everything and would love to see more of Booty alongside him.

Thomas 7 - Some good movement but seems to have a habit of missing the easy chances. Not sure what he offers us over Dennis although did seem to be forming a good understanding with Wootton.

Wootton - 9* - MOM for me, his goal just edging it over JOB. A real handful for their defence. Great control, a great physical presence and a footballing mind. Lead the line well on his own second half and together with JOB was involved in everything going forward. Loved his back heel to set up Thomas who fluffed his sitter, pleased he got the goal he deserved.

Rawlinson & Booty - 7 - Both did what was needed of them and was nice to see that our shape and style didn’t change after the substitutions.

Ardley & Cox - 9 - Like others I’ve been a critic of Ardley and Cox recently and expressed concern over their tactics but credit where it is due, they got it spot on today.

Overall a solid 90 minute team performance, the type of performance we as fans love to see. However, remember Lincoln and Mansfield last season, we all thought we had turned a corner, how wrong we were. Hopefully this is not another false dawn.

Glad you enjoyed it mate and I hope you get to see Notts again in the not to distant future, great to spend time with you both and will see you when we get over to NZ next time.

Good to hear Steve Cherry is still around the club and hope he's fully recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I can't possibly see what attraction Disney World holds for an 11-year-old over Bromley away. Enjoy.
    I can honestly say, nothing will live up to Saturday’s game. It made me realise how much we miss Notts County. I hope the team keep getting better and better for all of the loyal supporters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast