+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 pic of The Kop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1980 pic of The Kop

Haven't seen this one before, it's part of an article on the Post site about old stands at both Notts and Fword. I knew that Notts had erected new crush barriers around that time but hadn't realised they'd redone the concrete terracing as well.

Link to article here
    https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...w-lane-3307997

Was that after our opening game against Leeds lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gubbie View Post
    Was that after our opening game against Leeds lol
    I think, but I'm not certain, that the pic above does have quite a lot to do with crowd trouble in that the terraces had to be relaid and new crush barriers installed in order to accommodate the metal fencing that also appeared around that time. Probably all part of the same summer 1980 process. This must also be one of the very last pics, if not *the* last to show the Shipstones ad above the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think, but I'm not certain, that the pic above does have quite a lot to do with crowd trouble in that the terraces had to be relaid and new crush barriers installed in order to accommodate the metal fencing that also appeared around that time. Probably all part of the same summer 1980 process. This must also be one of the very last pics, if not *the* last to show the Shipstones ad above the scoreboard.
    My memory fades but I'd agree with you utm. One of the best improvements was raising the height of the concrete steps. The owd'uns were only about 6" high and a bugger to see all the pitch if the terraces were full.

What was the little hut underneath the scoreboard used for?
    That wasn't there before 1973 and it had been removed by 1982.

If I remember correctly Refreshments or maybe Programmes not sure my memory is not playing tricks on me nowadays.

It was where the scoreboard operators sat. You didn't expect it to be an electronic digital thingy like the beauty we have now, did you? At least when it was manually operated it didn't break down and stay useless for two years.

Yeah as Bridge4 sez, it was a Tea Bar. Bought many a cup from there when I was but a strap of a lad.

Name:  Scoreboard-Kop.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  71.4 KB

re The scoreboard at the kop end,
    0ne for the oldieson here c1964

I remember when Tony Flowers took a Penalty, and broke a window in the scoreboard!

We know a song about that dont we boys and girls?
    Tony Flowers broke a window, ticky ticky timex tra la la,
    (repeated until fed up with it)

i always thought the chief constable of the policing on that Day against man united, was more than misgudged sending the dogs in to arrest the 2-3 who climbed up and two of them to the top of the floodlight pylon,( they hadnt done any damage , unlike the idiots on the terrcing below.
    This escalated the rioting , the dogs and handlers got a dam good kicking from the united fans, and it went up a notch,
    i remember little squads of 7-8 heaving at the barriers and breaking them off and slinging them anywhere the perimeter of the pitch included, this is whilst the match was going on, the corrugated iron panels about a metre square from the terrace fence barriers made lovely frisbees,
    and the most excellent caber toss i have ever seen, with a Four foot length of 4 inch square timber*( from the broken fence post) ,when one gentlemen of behind the goal in the most active and crowded part tossed a highland games winning toss spinning a fully 40 ft in the Air which came down with a resounding Oooooh from the crowd as it hit a united fan on the back of the nexk and shoulder!
    by this time, the off field entertainment , was equal to Notts winning, on the pitch!
    anyway back to my story , about 10-15 years ago I met a nice old chap who and his missus and got natrering to him,
    ive kept friends with him since , and often have a chat when im passing or we get on the same bus
    and you know what, we got nattering about football, he said he doesnt go to football much nowadays
    then he said he was that cheif of police who was cordinating on that day!.
    diplomatically i didnt express my opinon!
    so jumping back in back to the 'game', i m not the only one to keep stum,, The directors of the club, and on that case the manager, oneTthomas Docherty sat at the front of the seats in the main stand, i am on the terracing below, hes above in the seats Dochertys behind me to my left, just 6ft away nonchalontly chewing his gum, unemotionally watching the game as if it was a vicarage XI v librarians Select XI, im not the only one shouting at him, to do something and stop the riot , stop the game go on the pitch, he recieved the barracking every minute of the rest of the time the riot and game was going off, not a flinch, as hes busy watchuing the match,
    as many other fans i left with a minute or two to go.
    good job, the rests history!
    Last edited by feeb; 17-09-2019 at 02:15 PM.

If they’d have put a roof on it, that would have one of the best home ends in the country.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast