+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 pic of The Kop

1980 pic of The Kop

Haven't seen this one before, it's part of an article on the Post site about old stands at both Notts and Fword. I knew that Notts had erected new crush barriers around that time but hadn't realised they'd redone the concrete terracing as well.

Link to article here
    https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...w-lane-3307997

Was that after our opening game against Leeds lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gubbie View Post
    Was that after our opening game against Leeds lol
    I think, but I'm not certain, that the pic above does have quite a lot to do with crowd trouble in that the terraces had to be relaid and new crush barriers installed in order to accommodate the metal fencing that also appeared around that time. Probably all part of the same summer 1980 process. This must also be one of the very last pics, if not *the* last to show the Shipstones ad above the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think, but I'm not certain, that the pic above does have quite a lot to do with crowd trouble in that the terraces had to be relaid and new crush barriers installed in order to accommodate the metal fencing that also appeared around that time. Probably all part of the same summer 1980 process. This must also be one of the very last pics, if not *the* last to show the Shipstones ad above the scoreboard.
    My memory fades but I'd agree with you utm. One of the best improvements was raising the height of the concrete steps. The owd'uns were only about 6" high and a bugger to see all the pitch if the terraces were full.

What was the little hut underneath the scoreboard used for?
    That wasn't there before 1973 and it had been removed by 1982.

If I remember correctly Refreshments or maybe Programmes not sure my memory is not playing tricks on me nowadays.

It was where the scoreboard operators sat. You didn't expect it to be an electronic digital thingy like the beauty we have now, did you? At least when it was manually operated it didn't break down and stay useless for two years.

If they’d have put a roof on it, that would have one of the best home ends in the country.

Saw this on the Post website over the weekend and it brought back some great memories. I think it would have been after the 79/80 season I think because as UTM says they are clearly putting the crowd control fencing up as well. Previously the whole Kop had been used for away fans but at the start of 80/81 home and away fans started to use it with the new segregation fencing in place.

The huts were for refreshments but think they came down about the same time. The Shipstones sign was of course replaced with the Superkings sign on top.

I used to love being on the Kop, next to the fencing and giving it large to the away fans, luckily the fencing was there to protect me and my troublesome mouth!

Yeah as Bridge4 sez, it was a Tea Bar. Bought many a cup from there when I was but a strap of a lad.

Name:  Scoreboard-Kop.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  71.4 KB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast