+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenny McLean

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Does anyone actually miss Kenny McLean? I don’t.
    10 times better than any of the midfielders we've presently got. I thought he was a class act and had the potential to play in the EPL due to attributes he had. I was never convinced that Shinnie would do as well going down south though. I don't see McLean moving on to a bigger team though - I think he's probably found his level at the likes of Norwich. Having said that guys like McArthur and McCarthy moved south and moved around EPL clubs for big money and they're not any better than Kenny, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    10 times better than any of the midfielders we've presently got. I thought he was a class act and had the potential to play in the EPL due to attributes he had. I was never convinced that Shinnie would do as well going down south though. I don't see McLean moving on to a bigger team though - I think he's probably found his level at the likes of Norwich. Having said that guys like McArthur and McCarthy moved south and moved around EPL clubs for big money and they're not any better than Kenny, so who knows.

Shinnie believed his own hype and was meh where as McLean does have real ability and like you said is way way better than anything that makes up our midfield nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by EintrachtFrankfurt View Post
    Shinnie believed his own hype and was meh where as McLean does have real ability and like you said is way way better than anything that makes up our midfield nowadays.
    I don't blame Shinnie for going and trying his luck down south, whilst earning big bucks in the process - that's fair enough. I just didn't ever think he had the kind of attributes that would make him a success down there. I wish we had him back at the moment - maybe it will happen in January.

People have very high opinion of Ferguson - he's clearly done well for his age, but I'm still failing to see how people think he's not far from a big money move down south or an international call up - for me he's been average at best this season and hasn't really offered much.

It's amazing that some couldn't recognise the abilities McLean had when with us.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    It's amazing that some couldn't recognise the abilities McLean had when with us.
    His work rate was first class too. I always thought that wasn't highlighted enough. Always covered a whooring amount of grass

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    His work rate was first class too. I always thought that wasn't highlighted enough. Always covered a whooring amount of grass
    If he had still been around after Shinnie left, I'd have had him as captain.

I recognised he had talent which made it all the more frustrating when he didn't display it for large swathes of his Aberdeen career.

Conversely, and to his credit, he became a far more important player during his loan spell. It was like the thought of leaving Aberdeen, or perhaps Scottish football, took his game to a different level.

His three European goals (2 x Kairat and 1 x Rijeka) showed that he could be a big time player. Had Hayes managed to slide a ball in front of McLean there was every chance he would've scored the winner in the 2017 Scottish Cup Final.

However, one goal against Manchester City doesn't seal his place in the big time and he had been dropped for the previous three games. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses in Guffball or will this prove to be the high point?

It was probably the Hollywood passes into the main stand & the fact he was MIA for huge periods of his time here.

That said, I’d be more than happy to pin some of the blame for that on the manager

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    However, one goal against Manchester City doesn't seal his place in the big time and he had been dropped for the previous three games. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses in Guffball or will this prove to be the high point?
    He was a pretty permanent fixture and key player in the team that won promotion last year and has started some and come off the bench in some already this season and done pretty well by all accounts. I think he's suited to playing at that level. I don't get the criticism of him missing in action for large parts of his Aberdeen career - I thought he was fairly consistent and brought quality to the middle of the park. He worked well alongside Shinnie as their attributes complimented one another well. When we had Shinnie, McLean and then Christie ahead of them we played some good football.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    It was probably the Hollywood passes into the main stand & the fact he was MIA for huge periods of his time here.

That said, I’d be more than happy to pin some of the blame for that on the manager
    LOL, no doubt.

I actually thought he played better when there was better movement around him.
    He could pick a pass out better than every other player at Aberdeen, but if the options were not offered, then it limited the impact he could have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast