+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self-employed

Self-employed

What's the advantages and disadvantages?

Is it hard to set up? Would I need an accountant?

My work say my jobs there for me but only if I go self employed.

Self employed and working for one “client “ isn’t self employed.

As for an accountant, go low key book keeper type as opposed to high flier and it won’t cost you very much at all and it’ll help keep the taxman away from your books.

Nae paid holidays. At least not in my day but I was only a lowly SC60 gadgie.

Nae paid onything.

I haven't had a wage in 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Self employed and working for one “client “ isn’t self employed.
    F*ck's she on about then? We had a guy in our cladding team who was self employed but only worked for us. I'll tell her to poke it that place is nothing without me.

Get advice on it but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

My first employee was the wife's daughter and I thought I would try and get away with that one.
    My accountant said no chance.

Of course, if they make you a partner it's a different story.

I don’t want to talk out of turn here because I know bugger all about your situation.

But you have been on your Euro tour and talk occasionally about coming back because of hospital visits etc.

So adding 2 and 2 together and probably making 5, it sounds as if you are being offered a pay per play contract.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I don’t want to talk out of turn here because I know bugger all about your situation.

But you have been on your Euro tour and talk occasionally about coming back because of hospital visits etc.

So adding 2 and 2 together and probably making 5, it sounds as if you are being offered a pay per play contract.
    Yeah I had an op on a slipped disc in April, waited the months recovery time and realised it was worse if anything. Surgeon in Aberdeen passed me off to Edinburgh seen as that is my official address now and they have bumped me back to the end of the queue. I asked to go back to work preferably in the office until I'm fit and that's when she came up with the self employed thing.

I reckon she thinks I might be needing more time 'off sick' plus she knows I'm just wanting to save up a bit then hit the road again.

It's a mute point anyway as I have 4 tickets for the big euromillions tomorrow so I think that makes me statistically guaranteed to win. No more work for me.

[QUOTE=mondo_notion;39325175]Yeah I had an op on a slipped disc in April, waited the months recovery time and realised it was worse if anything. Surgeon in Aberdeen passed me off to Edinburgh seen as that is my official address now and they have bumped me back to the end of the queue. I asked to go back to work preferably in the office until I'm fit and that's when she came up with the self employed thing.

I reckon she thinks I might be needing more time 'off sick' plus she knows I'm just wanting to save up a bit then hit the road again.

Mondo,
    IR35 legislation made it very difficult for 1 man limited company to operate with a single client. For a while people were (allegedly) going through umbrella companies (paying corporation rather that income tax) but I believe that loophole is long closed.
    Being limited company is a bit of a misnomer you end up spending money to save it buying unnecessary stuff just to claim the tax.
    In your case it may work? IF the company is prepared to take you back on casually after your nomadic periods you could just work to a point where your company has money in it then off on your travels paying yourself pro-rata until the money is spent.
    It's high risk as you are going to lose any benefits you may have had but if you think there's long term on/off possibilities I guess you might be prepared to risk it?
    Whatever you decide do some research and get some professional advice you never know you might be one of the few that could gain from the Brexit fiasco?!

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Yeah I had an op on a slipped disc in April, waited the months recovery time and realised it was worse if anything. Surgeon in Aberdeen passed me off to Edinburgh seen as that is my official address now and they have bumped me back to the end of the queue. I asked to go back to work preferably in the office until I'm fit and that's when she came up with the self employed thing.

It's a mute point anyway as I have 4 tickets for the big euromillions tomorrow so I think that makes me statistically guaranteed to win. No more work for me.
    Well done Chief on your future lottery win. Fling some of your winnings at the Dons and you might get a corner flag at one of the westhill training pitches named after you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast