+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holtby

Holtby

Having his medical, and will sign tomorrow.
    We have lots of midfielders. But we are absolutely crying out for one who is creative. We simply don't currently have that player. I'm really hopeful this is the player we desperately need. If this pays off, he could be the difference between mid table and the play offs. Welcome aboard

As I said, Champs, TM is taking the pragmatic line here.
    It's a bit hard on Rothwell, Buckley and Rankin-Costello, and even Travis and Johnson must be a bit nervous.
    If Holtby moves into the first team quite quickly - as Downing, Johnson and Cunningham did - I'll be fascinated to see the shape of the team.
    For example, will Travis and Johnson become "either/or"? Alternatively, will TM abandon the third forward altogether in some games, with Holtby playing between the front two and a three-man midfield?
    Intriguing.
    You said, the other day, that players like Buckley and R-C should be starting, but this signing is going to make that even less likely.
    What I mean is, where would those two be placed in a midfield pecking-order that also includes Travis, Johnson, Downing, Bennett, Holtby, Rothwell, Evans, Smallwood and Davenport - not to mention Chapman, out wide?
    And I am not talking about in our minds - but Mowbray's!
    And the knock-on effect, further forward? If midfield numbers mean that we have to go with only two up front, which two from:
    Gallagher, Dack, Graham, Armstrong, Samuel, Brereton, Butterworth, Rothwell? (I have included Rothwell there as well, because I'm still not sure what role TM sees him in).
    As far as I can see, when he is fit again, it would make much more sense for Butterworth to go out on loan in January. He has virtually no chance of first team football with us as it now stands.
    Whatever happens, we are going to have a very strong subs' bench!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Exciting times
    If Holtby can recreate his early days in terms of form we could have the potential to push for the play offs.
    Now this could also mean a few will be leaving in January.
    Gladwin and smallwood are nailed on to be leaving in my opinion,maybe a few others will be glancing over their shoulders.
    Now where to fit him in?I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 banks of 3
    Gallagher up top with dack and Holtby behind,then downing,Johnson and travis behind them.
    This signing could unlock several different formations,but also unearth new problems.
    If it goes over the line well done all at Blackburn.

Robin - completely agree with all that.
    I think we could see even more youngsters going out on loan in January. The only thing is, you can't guarantee they'll play every week, which spoils the point.
    Good to see that Scott Wharton, at least, is getting a fair bit of game-time with Northampton, and that they've only conceded eight goals in nine matches.

While I think of it, something that crossed my mind the other day. The way things are going, I wonder if there is a possibility of Gary Bowyer making a bid for Nyambe in January.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 19-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.

So good, I posted it twice! (Repeat now deleted).

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    As I said, Champs, TM is taking the pragmatic line here.
    It's a bit hard on Rothwell, Buckley and Rankin-Costello, and even Travis and Johnson must be a bit nervous.
    If Holtby moves into the first team quite quickly - as Downing, Johnson and Cunningham did - I'll be fascinated to see the shape of the team.
    For example, will Travis and Johnson become "either/or"? Alternatively, will TM abandon the third forward altogether in some games, with Holtby playing between the front two and a three-man midfield?
    Intriguing.
    You said, the other day, that players like Buckley and R-C should be starting, but this signing is going to make that even less likely.
    What I mean is, where would those two be placed in a midfield pecking-order that also includes Travis, Johnson, Downing, Bennett, Holtby, Rothwell, Evans, Smallwood and Davenport - not to mention Chapman, out wide?
    And I am not talking about in our minds - but Mowbray's!
    And the knock-on effect, further forward? If midfield numbers mean that we have to go with only two up front, which two from:
    Gallagher, Dack, Graham, Armstrong, Samuel, Brereton, Butterworth, Rothwell? (I have included Rothwell there as well, because I'm still not sure what role TM sees him in).
    As far as I can see, when he is fit again, it would make much more sense for Butterworth to go out on loan in January. He has virtually no chance of first team football with us as it now stands.
    Whatever happens, we are going to have a very strong subs' bench!
    While I do think it's important that Buckley plays some games, same with JRC. What where your thoughts on Buckley after seeing him play? Ready right now? Or would he benefit from being gradually introduced?
    Class players coming in, will only help the likes of Travis improve. Johnson is ok. Nothing more nothing less. We have 3 central mids, all doing the exact same thing. Not one is creative. Holtby is. And he's a class act. And comes from a step up in league terms. We've been signing Champ players. This lad is above that.
    Don't sit worrying about which side he'll play. Start worrying if we have to go back to Smallwood etc. As one thing I can guarantee you, we will get injuries, suspensions, loss of form. Meaning everyone will play. The situations where we have a complete squad all fit will be few and far between.
    We have been crying out for a player to get the likes of SG, Dack, Armstrong in the game. Johnson, Travis, Downing wont do that. And they are our best options. And Dack needs help. Hes having to drop too deep. Because we lack creativity. We have addressed the defence. The midfield is creating more cover. And it shows. But the other end, we are suffering. Only scoring 6 goals. We need to find more of a balance. More creativity. This lad gives us that option. He's a gamble. But not an expensive one. Hes something we don't have in our squad. He turned down a big move to China to come here. And I'm impressed by that. We want these sorts of players.

I saw all the comments after Buckley played on Sat. Not very encouraging. I thought did well personally. But everyone else seemed round on he's too raw. Not ready. Why did be play? Now we've signed a classy creative player who is ready to play, folk are saying well that's unfair on Buckley. The lad who you said after one game in Sat wasn't ready. Goes to show, a manager simply can't win. No matter what he does. I find it quite funny

He's signed. 2 year deal.
    29, good age, and turned down bigger offers to play for us. Welcome to Ewood Lewis. Good luck

Sounds a great signing but are we getting carried away?
    Was he without a club and if so why?
    Where has he played the last 3 years?
    Just asking

He just didn't re-sign for Hamburg in the summer. He's been playing in the German second tier last season after they got relegated. He had been playing in the Bundesliga. Before that he played 42 games for Spurs in the Prem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)