+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit subdued....

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    agree but we knew the beast they would be and frankly struggled for 45 min to accomodate the pace. Gaps appeared. Appere up top and we would have countered much much better.
    Why, oh why, oh why? would we change a formation that clearly is working for us?

Please just play 2 up front against any one!!!! Home or away ............ it was really working.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Why, oh why, oh why? would we change a formation that clearly is working for us?

Please just play 2 up front against any one!!!! Home or away ............ it was really working.
    I think this is why folk are a bit subdued. The realisation that Robbie hasn't stuck with the formation and the tactics that served us so well in the opening games. It's mental.
    He still thinks he's ****ing Pep Guardiola and to get turned over by Ayr yet again is beyond disappointing. It's the old here we go again type stuff that rightly is making fans apprehensive and it shouldn't be happening.
    We have to get all 3 points Saturday. We have to revert to Appere and Shankland together.

It will not come as any surprise to anyone that i think we are dodgy as phuck at the back,unfortunately Robbie does not see it that way.He had a night in with the Largs coaching manual and decided to revert to type(one up front)and tried to keep it tight away to Ayr.Their manager will have said to his players,"United have played 2 up top all season but they are frightened of the mighty Ayr and have packed the midfield to stifle you,get out there and get stuck into them."
    I honestly think we lost the initiative before a ball was kicked,it reminded me of Robbie's celebration when we took ST FN Mirren to penalties in the play off final.

You would think we had won 1 lost 4 with the reaction and demeanour of some fans since the weekend, its tiresome so it is

Lol we had 3 wins from our first 8 league games and 11 pts last season before Robbie took charge

He starts the season with 4 wins from 5 and 12 pts and still he can't catch a break with only two being home games (4-1 and 6-2 humpings of Inverness and Dundee), that after a difficult run of fixtures to begin with a more favourable run to come

We aren't going to get a perfect season and Ayr away is not an easy fixture

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    It will not come as any surprise to anyone that i think we are dodgy as phuck at the back,unfortunately Robbie does not see it that way.He had a night in with the Largs coaching manual and decided to revert to type(one up front)and tried to keep it tight away to Ayr.Their manager will have said to his players,"United have played 2 up top all season but they are frightened of the mighty Ayr and have packed the midfield to stifle you,get out there and get stuck into them."
    I honestly think we lost the initiative before a ball was kicked,it reminded me of Robbie's celebration when we took ST FN Mirren to penalties in the play off final.

Their manager never won a single dundee derby in god knows how many attempts and his Utd teams had the softest defences I can remember in my time, it was actually a waste of time going to games under him as we would regularly take 4 and 5 at places like Motherwell and Killie, it was a minter to follow mccalls United, like many players he is ok at a wee club with no expectations in a comfort zone, can't cut it at clubs with expectations, let's see how they fair at Tannadice this season and where they are after 36 games

Not in a million years would I swap him for Neilson

I never suggested anywhere that we should replace our manager with McCall,even he has said with United's budget it would be very difficult to finish ahead of them after 36 games,however if he is such a shyte manager why does his tiny club keep beating us?.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    You would think we had won 1 lost 4 with the reaction and demeanour of some fans since the weekend, its tiresome so it is

Lol we had 3 wins from our first 8 league games and 11 pts last season before Robbie took charge

He starts the season with 4 wins from 5 and 12 pts and still he can't catch a break with only two being home games (4-1 and 6-2 humpings of Inverness and Dundee), that after a difficult run of fixtures to begin with a more favourable run to come

And some fans head in the sand 'Neilson is god' reaction is also tiresome. The manager reverted to type last weekend and blew it big time. Let's hope whoever at the club that had a word in his shell-like the last time about playing 2 up front and flipping attacking from the get-go has the same word again because our manager is obviously very stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I never suggested anywhere that we should replace our manager with McCall,even he has said with United's budget it would be very difficult to finish ahead of them after 36 games,however if he is such a shyte manager why does his tiny club keep beating us?.
    Indeed

Not bumming him up here but I reckon McCall is a far better manager now than what he was 15 years ago .
    Was definitely our most difficult game to date last week, hence the reason I kept saying it was a massive game leading up to it. Was a great chance to put a marker down to the rest that we're the real deal and they are all playing for the play offs.
    But like Gunboat said Pep Neilson decides to change it and go back to the one up front phish, which gave Ayr the initiative from the start.
    We may well have still lost last week but if had continued with the same as previous 4 games then he would have got a bit more slack on here I reckon.
    Massive game v Arbroath front foot from the start no excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post

Got to agree with you on this.

Some on here were a "bit subdued" after only giving the FUN 6.

I also agree with what most of the others are saying that Neilson shouldn't have started Brown & he also should have played with 2 up front because even though Appere was our best player on the day playing out left - Shankland was being outmuscled at every instance by their 6 fut 4 Centre half so if they were playing closer together and interchanging then it would have gave the Ayr defence more to think about.

The real pivotal moment came when Clark hit the post with that absolute sitter of a header at 1 - 0 then less than a minute later they get awarded a soft penalty.

Clark should have made it 1 - 1 then the momentum could have been with us.

We had 20 efforts on goal so hardly the stat of a team on the defensive is it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)