+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit subdued....

Yea most agree they wouldn't have thrown brown in but he is likely going to be Connolly replacement for now

Neilson isn't perfect but the best we could have got in the circumstances and the best choice for us to bring stability and build something good going forward, something we badly need, and he has done the business at a club like us before with big expectations and pressure (promotion, then n 3rd in top flight and 2nd when he left them after club listened to dafties in the hearts support) , God knows the state we'd be in had we got that choice after Csaba wrong, but we haven't and hopefully have a good few years ahead under him

There does seem to be a strange dislike or negative vibe towards him from a select few though which I find weird, jjfallup, stoke and even gb (who are normally fair)

As you say, we had 20 shots and if Clark had scored and not bottled a chance that matters for once then we'd have taken atleast a point

@shedka

It's nothing whatsoever about a negative vibe. It's about giving praise where due and objective criticism when he gets it wrong and imo that's exactly how it should be.

Did I criticise him for refusing to play 442 when he played Clark as a 10? Yes.
    Did I criticise him him for some very disjointed performances when the players looked like they'd never met? Yes
    Did I offer lavish praise when he went 442 and got it right? Yes (see thread This team will get better and better)

Being objective isn't having a negative vibe. He started the season with 442 with tremendous effect then goes cautious 4231 away at Ayr. We get beat.

Singling out posters like you did is very much your MO, very disappointing but not a surprise any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Why, oh why, oh why? would we change a formation that clearly is working for us?

Please just play 2 up front against any one!!!! Home or away ............ it was really working.
    indeed and it is a worry that Neilson may revert to type for some away games. However still a good start overall

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Yea most agree they wouldn't have thrown brown in but he is likely going to be Connolly replacement for now

Neilson isn't perfect but the best we could have got in the circumstances and the best choice for us to bring stability and build something good going forward, something we badly need, and he has done the business at a club like us before with big expectations and pressure (promotion, then n 3rd in top flight and 2nd when he left them after club listened to dafties in the hearts support) , God knows the state we'd be in had we got that choice after Csaba wrong, but we haven't and hopefully have a good few years ahead under him

There does seem to be a strange dislike or negative vibe towards him from a select few though which I find weird, jjfallup, stoke and even gb (who are normally fair)

As you say, we had 20 shots and if Clark had scored and not bottled a chance that matters for once then we'd have taken atleast a point
    Do you know what it is Shedka, I'm just really disappointed in him because I was delighted with the appointment at the time but I feel he's so negative and stubborn it just annoys me. I definitely want him to stay and I hope things keep improving but I can't sit back and say nothing when they don't.

People get too obsessed with formations imo.

We started the Ayr game 4-4-2 and were getting battered. Had to change it and we were a lot better when we went 4-2-3-1. What we lacked was little moments of quality. Appere and Clark had great chances and fluffed their lines, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Daly9 View Post
    People get too obsessed with formations imo.

We started the Ayr game 4-4-2 and were getting battered. Had to change it and we were a lot better when we went 4-2-3-1. What we lacked was little moments of quality. Appere and Clark had great chances and fluffed their lines, it happens.
    Why were we getting battered by Ayr United?,they were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a junior team.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Why were we getting battered by Ayr United?,they were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a junior team.
    We weren't getting battered by Ayr.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    Do you know what it is Shedka, I'm just really disappointed in him because I was delighted with the appointment at the time but I feel he's so negative and stubborn it just annoys me. I definitely want him to stay and I hope things keep improving but I can't sit back and say nothing when they don't.
    If that's what you think there is no manager on earth that will satisfy your needs. Any manager will do something you disagree with, they'd just the way it goes.

Personally I think a lot of fans get too caught up with hindsight. It's easy to say what should have happened AFTER the event, you have all the information you would be guessing about before.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    If that's what you think there is no manager on earth that will satisfy your needs. Any manager will do something you disagree with, they'd just the way it goes.

Personally I think a lot of fans get too caught up with hindsight. It's easy to say what should have happened AFTER the event, you have all the information you would be guessing about before.
    That's nonsense, I have supported all the previous managers we have had 100% and I still support Neilson. I didn't even want Laszlo sacked due to the stability of the club! Why does saying I think Neilson is tactically negative mean no manager on earth would satisfy me?

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    That's nonsense, I have supported all the previous managers we have had 100% and I still support Neilson. I didn't even want Laszlo sacked due to the stability of the club! Why does saying I think Neilson is tactically negative mean no manager on earth would satisfy me?
    I don't think he's tactically negative, he had Shankland, Appere, McMullan, Pawlett and Stanton on and 2 forward thinking full backs on too.

Perhaps Not playing Appere up front in a previously successful 4-4-2 was his only tactical switch but I wouldn't describe that change as negative it could only be described as unnecessary.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)