+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: DUP. BREXIT glimmer of hope for Boris..

DUP. BREXIT glimmer of hope for Boris..

Arlene Foster is down here in Dublin tonight addressing a Dublin chamber function.....
    Under pressure from the majority of people/Businesses in the North for a deal rather then no deal Brexit.....
    Coal face stuff over here.....many communities over here very concerned about the real prospect of a no deal and the destruction it can cause to the province.....no scare mongering over here...people over here usually don't scare to easiely any how......
    She said those who question the stance of her party should check the letter that she and then deputy first minister of the Northern Ireland Assembly Martin McGuinness sent to former British prime minister Theresa May in August 2016, in which they outlined their concerns about Brexit.

Ms Foster said she favours a solution that recognises the constitutional position of Northern Ireland, but also the fact that it has the only land border between the United Kingdom and the European Union.

"I do recognise we have a very short period of time but I very much believe that if there is a determination, a willingness and a commitment, then we can find a way through," she said.

She went on...
    "It is to our benefit in Northern Ireland and also to people in the Republic of Ireland that we find a way through."

She added: "We heard from the Taoiseach yesterday about the consequences of a no-deal situation. I say in my speech tonight that no-deal is not the optimum situation for anybody.

"We have never been no-deal Brexiteers. We have always said we wanted to find a way through, a deal that recognised what was happening on this island but also the constitutional position of Northern Ireland.

"That's all we seek and I hope that we find a willingness to seek a deal to sort all that out."

Mrs Foster added: "I've heard from Europe today ... about the majority in Northern Ireland wanting to have the backstop.

"But if you look at the Belfast [Good Friday] Agreement, it's about parallel consent, it's about the consent of nationalism and the consent of unionism.

"There are no unionist MLAs who support the backstop at present so therefore there is a need to find a way forward which everybody can buy in to."

Prepare for a deal....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Arlene Foster is down here in Dublin tonight addressing a Dublin chamber function.....
    Under pressure from the majority of people/Businesses in the North for a deal rather then no deal Brexit.....
    Coal face stuff over here.....many communities over here very concerned about the real prospect of a no deal and the destruction it can cause to the province.....no scare mongering over here...people over here usually don't scare to easiely any how......
    She said those who question the stance of her party should check the letter that she and then deputy first minister of the Northern Ireland Assembly Martin McGuinness sent to former British prime minister Theresa May in August 2016, in which they outlined their concerns about Brexit.

Ms Foster said she favours a solution that recognises the constitutional position of Northern Ireland, but also the fact that it has the only land border between the United Kingdom and the European Union.

"I do recognise we have a very short period of time but I very much believe that if there is a determination, a willingness and a commitment, then we can find a way through," she said.

She went on...
    "It is to our benefit in Northern Ireland and also to people in the Republic of Ireland that we find a way through."

She added: "We heard from the Taoiseach yesterday about the consequences of a no-deal situation. I say in my speech tonight that no-deal is not the optimum situation for anybody.

"We have never been no-deal Brexiteers. We have always said we wanted to find a way through, a deal that recognised what was happening on this island but also the constitutional position of Northern Ireland.

"That's all we seek and I hope that we find a willingness to seek a deal to sort all that out."

Mrs Foster added: "I've heard from Europe today ... about the majority in Northern Ireland wanting to have the backstop.

"But if you look at the Belfast [Good Friday] Agreement, it's about parallel consent, it's about the consent of nationalism and the consent of unionism.

"There are no unionist MLAs who support the backstop at present so therefore there is a need to find a way forward which everybody can buy in to."

Prepare for a deal....
    Yet still Drunker.....sorry Juncket.....sorry Juncker and Barnpot.....sorry Barndoor....sorry Barnier and the pipsqueak from the Titan that is Luxembourg say nothing is happening and Macron and some fish pedlar who runs Finland is giving us 12 days to sort it out.

I hope you’re right but the posturing by the Europeans is breathtaking in its pomposity.

Rightly or wrongly we're the one's who have put ourselves in this position. The Eu aren't the enemy, it's up to us to come up with a viable alternative, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by baggielad View Post
    Rightly or wrongly we're the one's who have put ourselves in this position. The Eu aren't the enemy, it's up to us to come up with a viable alternative, simple as that.
    Yes, but what happens when one party comes up with what they think is a viable alternative and the other party doesn't? As the saying goes 'It takes two to tango'. EU, please take note!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Yes, but what happens when one party comes up with what they think is a viable alternative and the other party doesn't? As the saying goes 'It takes two to tango'. EU, please take note!
    I have to agree Leicester. This stance by the EU us in my mind totally ridiculous and unforgivable. They say it is up to us to come up with alternatives and then they can decide if those alternatives are acceptable to them!

Both sides should be exploring what common ground there is, what wriggle room there is and together come up with some compromise alternative. If not then there is no agreement/deal to be made and so therefore to break this impasse either party has to walk away without a deal. If not we just have stalemate and no one moves on!

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is expected to meet Boris Johnson on the margins of a United Nations meeting in New York next week.
    A Government spokesperson said this afternoon that "the Taoiseach and the British Prime Minister have been in contact and hope to meet in New York next week".
    Last week in Dublin they had their first face-to-face meeting since Mr Johnson became prime minister in late July.

He said: "The rhetoric has tempered and the mood music is good. There is a lot of energy and a lot of positivity.
    "The difficulty is that when it comes to the substance of the issue that needs to be resolved, the gaps are still very wide and we have no time to lose.
    "If I were to assess the situation, I would say there is a real willingness to find a deal. Very few people want no deal to happen. I am certainly not one of them. No-one wants to be to blame or to be responsible for no deal."

Last night in Dublin, Mr Varadkar held a 45-minute meeting with DUP leader Arlene Foster.
    Mr Coveney said while Ms Foster's visit was welcome and the meeting with the Taoiseach was "very positive" the meeting did not solve all the problems.
    There has been a genuine misunderstanding around the Irish border Issue and I believe PM Johnson's UK government had not got the message. I think they have now.
    The DUP for its part campaigned for BREXIT while the majority of people in N Ireland voted to remain...and for good economic and social reasons.....Further...it may indeed lead to a vote within N Ireland as a whole (and not just the border regions) on their consent as to which position they wish to see. Remain in the EU trade block but with special third party recognition or indeed remain out right stay in the UK.
    This is now the focus......

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is expected to meet Boris Johnson on the margins of a United Nations meeting in New York next week.
    A Government spokesperson said this afternoon that "the Taoiseach and the British Prime Minister have been in contact and hope to meet in New York next week".
    Last week in Dublin they had their first face-to-face meeting since Mr Johnson became prime minister in late July.

He said: "The rhetoric has tempered and the mood music is good. There is a lot of energy and a lot of positivity.
    "The difficulty is that when it comes to the substance of the issue that needs to be resolved, the gaps are still very wide and we have no time to lose.
    "If I were to assess the situation, I would say there is a real willingness to find a deal. Very few people want no deal to happen. I am certainly not one of them. No-one wants to be to blame or to be responsible for no deal."

Last night in Dublin, Mr Varadkar held a 45-minute meeting with DUP leader Arlene Foster.
    Mr Coveney said while Ms Foster's visit was welcome and the meeting with the Taoiseach was "very positive" the meeting did not solve all the problems.
    There has been a genuine misunderstanding around the Irish border Issue and I believe PM Johnson's UK government had not got the message. I think they have now.
    The DUP for its part campaigned for BREXIT while the majority of people in N Ireland voted to remain...and for good economic and social reasons.....Further...it may indeed lead to a vote within N Ireland as a whole (and not just the border regions) on their consent as to which position they wish to see. Remain in the EU trade block but with special third party recognition or indeed remain out right stay in the UK.
    This is now the focus......
    Dub......do the people vote DUP on the old religious grounds?

The reason I ask is because given the “remain” vote in NI surely the DUP are going to get their a r s e s caned at the next election if they don’t facilitate a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Dub......do the people vote DUP on the old religious grounds?

The reason I ask is because given the “remain” vote in NI surely the DUP are going to get their a r s e s caned at the next election if they don’t facilitate a deal?
    Demographics on the ground in N Ireland has changed immensely since the Good Friday Agreement. It is not perfect yet but a whole generation has grown up able to move around with out having guns pointed at them or bombs going off. It has become more normal. What were seen in history as two extreme parties...DUP and SF (Sinn Fein) are now the main parties. Young people everywhere are similar...they think old people have mucked up.....The constraints are much loosened....but some still don't like change....
    However...most people agree that economic improvement (and it has not been great in N Ireland) helps with the peace. Putting a border back in place would be a disaster for both communities. that is agreed. What BREXIT has done indirectly, has brought forward the idea of an inclusive and consensual vote on a united Ireland. Traditional Unionist voters are very concerned about this whole turn of events in over the last three years or so.
    So the simple answer is probably yes but not certain anymore.
    A very soul searching time is going on in N Ireland at the moment. The next GE will be most interesting.....it could be the first election where traditional voting goes out the window....

The Deputy Leader of the DUP has said the Supreme Court ruling must be respected and accepted it is possible the UK may not leave the EU on 31 October.

Nigel Dodds told RTÉ News be believes the court ruling, and what he called "the shenanigans" in the House of Commons had weakened Boris Johnson's hand in negotiations.

Asked for his party's response to the unanimous court ruling, he said: "The Supreme Court has spoken, the judgment must be respected."

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)