+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A higher perspective

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    When you support a sh*t team it is often a slog and can feel depressing but when you later look back at what feels like wasted time and energy one good season, a cup run or even a single game in a decade can remind you why you put yourself through it week in week out and you forget a lot of the rubbish.
    we have these odd seasons or special games about once in ten years, one of my particular favourites was a game we didn't even win(but perhaps should have) beaten by Gazzas Tottenham in the cup, i still to this day get goosebumps when Don O'riordan turned the script on its head and put us in front with a worldy and i can vividly recall the travelling down,scarves out of what seemed like every car window on the M1, the excitement getting to see their team full of internationals listed in the programme and even the tears at the end make for very happy memories.

You'd be surprised how much you fall back in love with football if you manage to have a good season,getting a promotion at wembley in the playoffs beats anything i've seen of the PL, a civic reception in the town centre,open top bus parade the pride comes flooding back even if it isn't for very long you just take those odd moments of joy and treasure them forever.
    Walking back to the car after beating Halifax last week, me and my lad were buzzing. I wonder how many Man U fans were buzzing after beating a team that sounds like a washing machine brand in a competition they spent an absolute fortune to be part of. Give me Notts County any day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Walking back to the car after beating Halifax last week, me and my lad were buzzing. I wonder how many Man U fans were buzzing after beating a team that sounds like a washing machine brand in a competition they spent an absolute fortune to be part of. Give me Notts County any day of the week
    It's posts like this one that make me think that you and me might actually like each other in real life shipmate! We probably had a different walk back to our cars, but I'm sure the buzz factor was absolutely identical. I really don't get Roger's "higher perspective" notion, because to me it's actually a lower perspective. Over five decades I've seen Notts play in the top five divisions, and I'm still loving every minute. A goal against Halifax is still celebrated in exactly the same way as a goal against Man United was many years ago. At my time of life I don't have a problem with being incapable of chasing the Premiership pot of gold, in fact part of me would hate it if by any chance we got there. Unlike Roger, I have a club that I'm very proud to support even though we are at our lowest ebb. If you take his logic to the ultimate conclusion, we would all be Man city fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It's posts like this one that make me think that you and me might actually like each other in real life shipmate! We probably had a different walk back to our cars, but I'm sure the buzz factor was absolutely identical. I really don't get Roger's "higher perspective" notion, because to me it's actually a lower perspective. Over five decades I've seen Notts play in the top five divisions, and I'm still loving every minute. A goal against Halifax is still celebrated in exactly the same way as a goal against Man United was many years ago. At my time of life I don't have a problem with being incapable of chasing the Premiership pot of gold, in fact part of me would hate it if by any chance we got there. Unlike Roger, I have a club that I'm very proud to support even though we are at our lowest ebb. If you take his logic to the ultimate conclusion, we would all be Man city fans.
    We've actually met in the toilets ( before anyone starts ) down the Lane Elite. You told me you were hiding from some bloke called Simon the Pieman who you had rather foolhardily given your seat number to.

We've actually met in the toilets ( before anyone starts ) down the Lane Elite. You told me you were hiding from some bloke called Simon the Pieman who you had rather foolhardily given your seat number to.
    Nah, that was vladpie you are thinking of. After I messaged him with my seat number I got a bit worried because he had wrestled bears with his bare hands and come out on top. I'm hard, but not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Nah, that was vladpie you are thinking of. After I messaged him with my seat number I got a bit worried because he had wrestled bears with his bare hands and come out on top. I'm hard, but not that hard.
    You didn't look that hard to me, not that I was looking like.

Thanks for your thoughts. I used to feel how you feel. You might not think it, but Cambridge are as corrupt as is possible. I don't think weve had a chairman that hasn't shafted us, but one, and he didn't have a clue about football. The new owner is a fan, but even I can see how he can do it.

We get hammered on and off the pitch. Which brings me to County. You are non league, how did that happen.?

Was it MISFORTUNES on the pitch?...……….. That's a lot of inexplicable defeats. Or was it something else, like asset stripping, gate misappropriation, creative accountancy. You tell me. If you think your club is clean, think again.

Cambridge might be clean now, but for 25 30 years it was run like a 3rd division Argentinian team. Like me, you might have been supporting criminality.

Mrs Joanna Cooper of Arbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw2 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I used to feel how you feel. You might not think it, but Cambridge are as corrupt as is possible. I don't think weve had a chairman that hasn't shafted us, but one, and he didn't have a clue about football. The new owner is a fan, but even I can see how he can do it.

We get hammered on and off the pitch. Which brings me to County. You are non league, how did that happen.?

Was it MISFORTUNES on the pitch?...……….. That's a lot of inexplicable defeats. Or was it something else, like asset stripping, gate misappropriation, creative accountancy. You tell me. If you think your club is clean, think again.

Cambridge might be clean now, but for 25 30 years it was run like a 3rd division Argentinian team. Like me, you might have been supporting criminality.

Mrs Joanna Cooper of Arbury.
    Poor ownership,over ambition, gambling/overspending, poor recruitment and retention of staff,poor decision making,bad player attitude,bad luck,bad refereeing and macclesfield theres a long long list of why we are non league there are just a few of them

Probably none of them but they are in the same boat as us. They have a team who it is no joy to watch, having been brought up on squashbuckling teams from the Doc onwards. Now they have OGS, who is also a nice guy, but watch **** on a stick football. We have a lot in common with them.

This this this.

No matter how **** we are, nothing beats going to a Notts game and seeing us win. It's the same feeling no matter what level we play at. Also, I get the same buzz at the start of the season too, no matter what level and no matter how old I get. It's just like it was when I was a kid. Even this year, after the worst season in our history and the worst summer I can ever remember as a Notts fan, I was absolutely buzzing just to be able to tune in and listen to us lose to Eastleigh.

So I get what the OP is saying on an objective level - money has ruined the game and the top two divisions are basically a closed shop for any smaller club with moderate funds. But I don't get it on a subjective level.

I started watching Notts in the early 90s. My first season was in the top flight. Since then, it has been almost 30 years of decline. Now we're in the fifth tier. In that time I've seen maybe 3 genuinely great seasons (the Mick Walker one in the old Second Div, the Big Sam promotion, and Munto), a couple of good ones, and an absolute **** load of rubbish ones. I swear we've had more relegation battles in that time than most clubs have in their entire existence. But it simply hasn't dampened my love for the game or my club. If anything, it has strengthened my resolve.

Rog, get yourself to a Cambridge game and cheer them on. It doesn't matter if you are good or not, or if there's no realistic chance of long-term success. You might turn up to that one game in 50 where something truly great happens - a late comeback or a random 4-0 victory (like the other day at Stags). And stop moaning - I wonder what those Bury fans would give to watch their team play this season.

Besides, who said supporting a top-flight team is all that great anyway? You gain a lot (money, fans, media coverage) but you also lose something along the way - perhaps that thing that made you love the club in the first place. If you want a team full of superstars with a chance of winning every title available, just declare yourself a Man City fan and be done with it. But don't expect that to be any less soul-crushing than supporting Cambridge.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 21-09-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Probably none of them but they are in the same boat as us. They have a team who it is no joy to watch, having been brought up on squashbuckling teams from the Doc onwards. Now they have OGS, who is also a nice guy, but watch **** on a stick football. We have a lot in common with them.
    I'm struggling to see any comparison between us and Man U whatsoever.
    Last edited by navypie; 21-09-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast