+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A higher perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw2 View Post
    We get hammered on and off the pitch. Which brings me to County. You are non league, how did that happen.?

Was it MISFORTUNES on the pitch?...……….. That's a lot of inexplicable defeats. Or was it something else, like asset stripping, gate misappropriation, creative accountancy. You tell me. If you think your club is clean, think again.
    We're a much different case. I doubt the last 2 owners made anything. On the contrary, it seems like they both got severely burned by the whole experience (the balance of ego v pocket, we'll never know). But it probably all comes down to governance all the same, maybe not corrupt but definitely incompetent. Unstable and egoistic, quick to fire, appoint in haste, often a desperate effort to find the opposite of the manager before. Turmoil as the default, Guy Branston in one office, Ricardo Moniz in another, Nolan, Kewell and Ardley in the space of weeks. That kind of **** gets you Non-league.

Your main point is a very good one. Football has allowed money to dominate and takes its fanbase for granted. Yes, any sporting competition must start from the assumption that you've got a chance to win. Otherwise what's the point?
    There's a generation of fans wedded to tradition and resistant to change and this enables our clubs to get by. To survive, I think football will have to innovate and reform. Apart from the league, fans don't seem to value the competitions their teams play in. And even the league - you might get takers now for a meaningless midweek fixture in March to see your team lose 0-1 at home and hardly have a shot on goal. Lets not kid ourselves that the next generations will be up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    This this this.

No matter how **** we are, nothing beats going to a Notts game and seeing us win. It's the same feeling no matter what level we play at. Also, I get the same buzz at the start of the season too, no matter what level and no matter how old I get. It's just like it was when I was a kid. Even this year, after the worst season in our history and the worst summer I can ever remember as a Notts fan, I was absolutely buzzing just to be able to tune in and listen to us lose to Eastleigh.

So I get what the OP is saying on an objective level - money has ruined the game and the top two divisions are basically a closed shop for any smaller club with moderate funds. But I don't get it on a subjective level.

I started watching Notts in the early 90s. My first season was in the top flight. Since then, it has been almost 30 years of decline. Now we're in the fifth tier. In that time I've seen maybe 3 genuinely great seasons (the Mick Walker one in the old Second Div, the Big Sam promotion, and Munto), a couple of good ones, and an absolute **** load of rubbish ones. I swear we've had more relegation battles in that time than most clubs have in their entire existence. But it simply hasn't dampened my love for the game or my club. If anything, it has strengthened my resolve.

Rog, get yourself to a Cambridge game and cheer them on. It doesn't matter if you are good or not, or if there's no realistic chance of long-term success. You might turn up to that one game in 50 where something truly great happens - a late comeback or a random 4-0 victory (like the other day at Stags). And stop moaning - I wonder what those Bury fans would give to watch their team play this season.

Besides, who said supporting a top-flight team is all that great anyway? You gain a lot (money, fans, media coverage) but you also lose something along the way - perhaps that thing that made you love the club in the first place. If you want a team full of superstars with a chance of winning every title available, just declare yourself a Man City fan and be done with it. But don't expect that to be any less soul-crushing than supporting Cambridge.
    Agreed, even after all these years, nothing beats a Notts matchday experience for me. Away at Harrogate, even after we had scored our 2nd ( can't remember who got it), all I could think was fffs ref ....blow and the elation I felt when he did. Walking away from the ground that night I remember thinking Harrogate, bloody Harrogate!!

ps. I had a very different matchday experience some years back. Sat at home one Tuesday night ( could never happen these days with Mr Notts County himsen onboard ) I thought I would turn sky sports on and check the half times. There were Notts, at home !!

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I'm struggling to see any comparison between us and Man U whatsoever.
    We get to play rubbish teams no one has ever heard of in the middle of the week

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    We get to play rubbish teams no one has ever heard of in the middle of the week
    I've still got one of their washing machines.

I've still got one of their washing machines.

Walking back to the car after beating Halifax last week, me and my lad were buzzing. I wonder how many Man U fans were buzzing after beating a team that sounds like a washing machine brand in a competition they spent an absolute fortune to be part of. Give me Notts County any day of the week
    We also spent a fortune to be a part of our latest competition i wouldnt swap Notts for anyone,i've always liked being an underdog and being NCFC gives us that opportunity almost all of the time,its the magic that drew me in right at the beginning, we're not supposed to win so when we do its a bit special and i can buzz all week over a 1-0 thrashing of a team 4 places above us in mid table

You've hit the nail on the head anti clough. There cant be a ceiling to success. My personality type has an all or nothing element, give 100%, or nothing at all. There is a route to the top, but its in name only. Contributors to this thread have expressed tradition, and memories, not ambition beyond div 1.

Notts County or Cambridge only getting that far is unacceptable. True competition should be about innovation, creativity, intelligence, gambling, and initiative. Creating a level playing field seems impossible, having said that the Americans have done it through a draft.

There cannot be a more boring fixture than ManCity v Huddersfield, or Swansea. Great for home fans...another win. Celtic have been boring me rigid for decades, Celtic fans pay to shoot fish in a barrell. Look at the state of Scottish football now.

In the 60s Div1 now the premiership, was genuinely exciting, two points a win, and the top to bottom was not far apart in points or talent. Top five was spit by a whisker.

That's all gone, for good. Now its a rich mans game, the people who run Peterboro spent 13 million on players pre season, which is probably pocket money for them. For there own entertainment. Its their club, not Peterboros.

Another aspect was Liverpool played at Napoli recently, in the 60s the whole country would be glued to that, Italy v England. Yes that Italian players v English players, who was best? etc, the dirty Italians v the fair English. That's gone, there are few English players.

Cheating is accepted now, because fortunes are made or lost. There is a wealth of non league down here, ill stick with that.

Remember match of the day in the 60s, with a swaying Liverpool kop, it brings a tear to my eye in lost joys. Someone will now mention Hillsboro, that's how fckd up football is now.

You've hit the nail on the head anti clough. There cant be a ceiling to success. My personality type has an all or nothing element, give 100%, or nothing at all. There is a route to the top, but its in name only. Contributors to this thread have expressed tradition, and memories, not ambition beyond div 1.

Notts County or Cambridge only getting that far is unacceptable. True competition should be about innovation, creativity, intelligence, gambling, and initiative. Creating a level playing field seems impossible, having said that the Americans have done it through a draft.

There cannot be a more boring fixture than ManCity v Huddersfield, or Swansea. Great for home fans...another win. Celtic have been boring me rigid for decades, Celtic fans pay to shoot fish in a barrell. Look at the state of Scottish football now.

In the 60s Div1 now the premiership, was genuinely exciting, two points a win, and the top to bottom was not far apart in points or talent. Top five was spit by a whisker.

That's all gone, for good. Now its a rich mans game, the people who run Peterboro spent 13 million on players pre season, which is probably pocket money for them. For there own entertainment. Its their club, not Peterboros.

Another aspect was Liverpool played at Napoli recently, in the 60s the whole country would be glued to that, Italy v England. Yes that Italian players v English players, who was best? etc, the dirty Italians v the fair English. That's gone, there are few English players.

Cheating is accepted now, because fortunes are made or lost. There is a wealth of non league down here, ill stick with that.

Remember match of the day in the 60s, with a swaying Liverpool kop, it brings a tear to my eye in lost joys. Someone will now mention Hillsboro, that's how fckd up football is now.
    Tell that to leicester fans, the dream is always alive

Can't you go and be depressing somewhere else!

Creating a level playing field seems impossible, having said that the Americans have done it through a draft.

That's just about the worst - being a middling to bottom prem team. If you're not top six, what's the point? Many European leagues are dead as competitions. The Americans insist on competitive balance in their sports and are much better off for it. I wouldn't tune in to see Man City v Watford on MoTD.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123