+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 week ban for Pedro

32 week ban for Pedro

Beardsley found guilty of making racist comments and gets 32 week ban.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49760230

FFS when I think of the names I've been called in my lifetime I should be on antidepressants and cowering in the 'kin corner. What a shower today's snowflakes are. The FA are terrified of the PC brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    FFS when I think of the names I've been called in my lifetime I should be on antidepressants and cowering in the 'kin corner. What a shower today's snowflakes are. The FA are terrified of the PC brigade.
    It's a bit like Trudeau having to apologise for dressing up an an arab at a fancy dress party 20 years ago.

The theme was "Arabian Nights" so how can he have done anything to apologise for when he addressed the theme.

Whilst I'm as sick of the snow flakes and the p.c brigade as the next man...I don't see a way you can defend Peter in this instance. He may not be a racist, but he did make racist comments.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    It's a bit like Trudeau having to apologise for dressing up an an arab at a fancy dress party 20 years ago.

The theme was "Arabian Nights" so how can he have done anything to apologise for when he addressed the theme.
    This is wall to wall on the news here as a general election is coming up.Tired of hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    Whilst I'm as sick of the snow flakes and the p.c brigade as the next man...I don't see a way you can defend Peter in this instance. He may not be a racist, but he did make racist comments.
    Yes your'e right, but if a black guy called you a Honky or Whitey etc. would you be offended enough to make a federal case out of it, I seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    Yeah, this for me.

"The commission found that he was expressly not a racist" just shows that in the current climate you just can't throw words and phrases around no matter what the intention-and quite rightly. Perhaps 'current climate' is wrong because it implies it's a passing phase or a fad-I just think we're more enlightened now. There's a difference, imo, between being offended by something someone says because it's insulting or gross or upsetting,offensive, etc and something linked to a centuries-old belief that one race is superior to another where that belief has led to horrendous crimes.

I don't mean to sound over-dramatic but that's basically what it boils down to, for me. The sort of throwaway comments that folk used to make routinely and thankfully now less-so have their roots in those beliefs so no matter what the person saying them claims about how they meant them, it conveniently ignores both where the phrase came from and the impact on the people on the receiving end because of that.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not easily offended or prudish and i'm certainly not one to get offended on anyone else's behalf and, for me, if you're offended by something someone says, then, well.....tough, be offended then get over it....but up to a point. For me, that point is racism, even if it is what people might call 'mild'. Thin end of a particularly nasty wedge.

All just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    Yes your'e right, but if a black guy called you a Honky or Whitey etc. would you be offended enough to make a federal case out of it, I seriously doubt it.
    No, I agree and i get your point....but that phrase wouldn't have the weight of centuries of oppression which extends to the current day behind it. Again, not trying to be po-faced or preachy about it. I just think that sort of thing goes beyond just being offended because of the history associated with it.

And just to add my final point on it, if Beardsley's punishment makes people think about what they say then it's absolutely a good thing.

And by that, I don't mean that people think they'd better not say that sort of thing because i don't want to get into trouble. I mean that people might think 'hang on, i'd never really considered the actual implications of what i'm saying'.

I just think the whole episode has been blown up way over proportion. If the lad was offended by a remark then fine he should fire back and report it. I think the whole thing could have been kept in house and the club should dish out the discipline if needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)