+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Thomas Cook

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Having worked for a large tour operator for many years - your point Mick is spot on!

Package holidays are slowly beginning to be a thing of the past as the younger generation know booking flights and hotels separately can save a fortune - look at skyscanner and some hotel websites where you can get great bargains!

Regular travel with a hotel brand such as Hilton can save a fortune too with discounts. I normally pay 100 quid a night for a beautiful Hilton hotel in Dubai with breakfast - afternoon tea and executive lounge access early evening for free alcohol.

Tour Operators as well as being more expensive still have a reputation for treating customers like cattle ( mass market ). You try getting compensation out of a tour operator.

As more and more future generations come through and more people get on-line savvy the demand for package holidays will get less!

PS - anyone remember Horizon Holidays based in Broadway Birmingham and their Airline Orion Airways. This was a class operation until Bass purchased the Group and ruined it!
    I’ve booked my own flights and hotels for the last few years when going to Europe. When I’ve gone further afield such as South America or Asia I’ve used Trailfinders and found them to be excellent at bolting bespoke packages together as they have access to airline routes most high st retailers do not. I don’t see the point of using a travel agent tbh and as you say, it’s like being in a herd of cattle. That said, I have used Kuoni and Mick is spot on. They are very good

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I’ve booked my own flights and hotels for the last few years when going to Europe. When I’ve gone further afield such as South America or Asia I’ve used Trailfinders and found them to be excellent at bolting bespoke packages together as they have access to airline routes most high st retailers do not. I don’t see the point of using a travel agent tbh and as you say, it’s like being in a herd of cattle. That said, I have used Kuoni and Mick is spot on. They are very good

Kuoni are decent for long haul - their MD Derek Jones used to be my boss so know him well.

We popped into TC Merry Hill Dudley to find out if they know anything concerning our cruise in October. This shop is rammed every time I pass, but today, no one in, understandably. Three staffers at their desks just chatting amongst themselves.

We are told that so long as TC have paid our money to the cruise liner, Royal Caribbean, we're OK but they have no idea if they have. So we are in limbo. The key date apparently is 27th Sept when their fate could be decided but it may be sooner

Anyway we wished the staff well as all of em will probably be out on a limb come next week.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    We popped into TC Merry Hill Dudley to find out if they know anything concerning our cruise in October. This shop is rammed every time I pass, but today, no one in, understandably. Three staffers at their desks just chatting amongst themselves.

We are told that so long as TC have paid our money to the cruise liner, Royal Caribbean, we're OK but they have no idea if they have. So we are in limbo. The key date apparently is 27th Sept when their fate could be decided but it may be sooner

Anyway we wished the staff well as all of em will probably be out on a limb come next week.

Hope phild you get your money back and make alternative arrangements - you must be gutted!

Best wishes to you to sort!

Hope phild you get your money back and make alternative arrangements - you must be gutted!

Best wishes to you to sort!
    PS - the CEO and Directors don’t have to worry about food on the table after taking millions out of the company! Piss poor management for years and not changing with the times!

Cheers al. On checking the Royal Caribbean website it states that we will be emailed soon to inform what happens next. So currently unsure if the October trip goes ahead or not.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Cheers al. On checking the Royal Caribbean website it states that we will be emailed soon to inform what happens next. So currently unsure if the October trip goes ahead or not.

Suppose it depends on state of affairs of financials but usually tour operators don’t pay suppliers until at least 60 days after completion of holidays. I have met the Director of Sales at Royal Caribbean called Ben Bouldin and he’s a decent guy - he’s a passionate Arsenal fan so was with him on New Years Eve when we drew 1-1.

Good luck

PS - the CEO and Directors don’t have to worry about food on the table after taking millions out of the company! Piss poor management for years and not changing with the times!
    Quite right Al. The senior directors have taken 20Million out in bonuses since 2014. Meanwhile, let alone the customers, how many suppliers will go to the wall being owed sums that will never be repaid?

Pi** poor management as you say. Big companies are masters at deflecting the blame away from themselves. In that respect, Brexit is a knight in shining armour come to the rescue so they don't have to blame themselves.

Worse still, TC were still telling people to go in to their stores yesterday to pay outstanding balances on holidays for next year. As you say, the directors will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Quite right Al. The senior directors have taken 20Million out in bonuses since 2014. Meanwhile, let alone the customers, how many suppliers will go to the wall being owed sums that will never be repaid?

Pi** poor management as you say. Big companies are masters at deflecting the blame away from themselves. In that respect, Brexit is a knight in shining armour come to the rescue so they don't have to blame themselves.

Worse still, TC were still telling people to go in to their stores yesterday to pay outstanding balances on holidays for next year. As you say, the directors will be OK.

Directors should be forced to pay back their bonuses. Thomas Cook have been rocky for years!

It’s a sad day, apart from those losing holidays, which will almost certainly be refunded one way or another, there are many who will lose their jobs, a far more serious matter than losing a holiday. My daughter in law is one who has today lost her job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)