+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O-T Global Climate Action Day

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    The Daily Earth temps is a great visual.
    A few things of note from the daily temps page.
    Firstly look at how relatively cool is Central Mexico, Guate, Columbia, Ecuador and Chile, compared to the coastlines. The Aztecas in the north and Incas in the south built their empires on the higher ground. Smart people, no air-con in those days and why sweat your cojones off living in Cancun or Puerta Vallarta where it's 25 at night, 350 days a year....get the peasants to trek your fresh fish up into the mountains where it's 10 to 15 degrees at night......smart.
    Secondly look closely at those off-the-scale white blobs in Mali and the Sudan?......absolutely incredible AVERAGE temps day and night of over 40 to 50 degrees....that is staggeringly hot. It is almost beyond comprehension how any mammal, including humans, can live and function at those temps.....and they are set to get worse!....now click the "max" button, ouch, and I don't think late Sept is anywhere near their hottest time......how does stuff grow? does anything grow? I've got a decent batch (400sq yds) of Sudan Grass planted here for the goats, it loves the 30 degree days......no wonder half of northern Africa is heading for Europe!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    A few things of note from the daily temps page.
    Firstly look at how relatively cool is Central Mexico, Guate, Columbia, Ecuador and Chile, compared to the coastlines. The Aztecas in the north and Incas in the south built their empires on the higher ground. Smart people, no air-con in those days and why sweat your cojones off living in Cancun or Puerta Vallarta where it's 25 at night, 350 days a year....get the peasants to trek your fresh fish up into the mountains where it's 10 to 15 degrees at night......smart.
    Secondly look closely at those off-the-scale white blobs in Mali and the Sudan?......absolutely incredible AVERAGE temps day and night of over 40 to 50 degrees....that is staggeringly hot. It is almost beyond comprehension how any mammal, including humans, can live and function at those temps.....and they are set to get worse!....now click the "max" button, ouch, and I don't think late Sept is anywhere near their hottest time......how does stuff grow? does anything grow? I've got a decent batch (400sq yds) of Sudan Grass planted here for the goats, it loves the 30 degree days......no wonder half of northern Africa is heading for Europe!!
    Mali and Sudan are mostly desert, deserts get hot because there is no moisture in the air or ground to reflect the suns rays or absorb heat energy when i hits the surface, this also explains why deserts are very cold at night,there is nothing to stop the heat radiating away or trap it.

I get a bit confused with climate change, if the ice is melting and the seas are rising and the earth is heating up, you would expect the water cycle to ramp up a few notches and as there is more moisture being evaporated there should be more clouds, thus more protecting reflective surface to turn away the suns rays in turn cooling the earth down a bit and creating more rainfall, maybe it is that way but its all very confusiing with contradictory reports all over the place.

https://order-order.com/2019/09/20/r...36AW8ScOLdisRY

Not a website I frequent often but saw this on facebook today and having researched the questions it all checks out. Its not to say the climate isn't changing, but the climate change movement love a bit of fake news and preying on people who don't really understand.

People should be more concerned about the Extinction Rebellions connections to Communism than they should about climate change, but thats just my opinion having read the literature.

Quote Originally Posted by calmpie View Post
    All good, informative stuff Mr Tarquin. What I was hoping to get out of today is a practical, pragmatic and achievable path to global survival.

But its these 'reparations' that the Climate Strike protesters are demanding that irritates me more than anything:-

"We need to act right now to stop burning fossil fuels and ensure a rapid energy revolution with equity, reparations and climate justice at its heart." https://globalclimatestrike.net/
    I also don't think reparations are the answer, how is the West ever going to agree to cause economic damage to itself?
    The simple answer for me is (a) better recycling initiatives (I save over 50% of the packaging I use, I bury old wood, cardboard, paper and even my old clothes). I burn absolutely nothing, plastic and metal goes for cash every 6 months. Why can someone not figure out a decent use for old glass....here there is nothing? My urine is saved in plastic containers and then onto the buried mounds to break it down into compost. I am basically putting Carbon directly back to the earth....it's actually quite simple....sooooo
    (b) greater industrial-scale Carbon Capture and Storage schemes, CCS.
    (c) There has to be an industrial-scale method of building all new homes to firstly turn all sunlight into electricity, it's free ffs once the infrastructure is in place....this means no more coal-powered generation, all spare electricity goes into your EV car and shared around a permanent moving grid that is always plugged-in, continually topping itself up as more and more new homes are built and more EVs sold....sunlight is free....yes it will take years and years to get all the charging points put in, but look at the disused petrol stations we can use!
    (d) tidal power....has anyone even started on these yet....the technology is there.

TBH I often wonder if there is a reluctance for Western Governments to act....they rake in trillions from oil and gas revenues and do they really want everyone accessing free resources?......they will have to do something pdq though, India is about to join the global GDP race and if you thought China was crazy with the way they forged ahead you ain't seen nothing yet, especially if Pakistan and Bangla join the race!.....and what about Africa? predicted to outperform India and China (as a trading bloc) before the end of this century with a predicted 2 billion extra mouths to feed.....astonishing.

Not much that Beechy and i agree on, but this is one of the few. However, I remain despondent.
    The answers do not lie with individuals but with nations. It's one of the EU's positives that it can draw up regulations for 27 countries. In most of that 27 they can also enforce the regulation. It's hard to see present day USA, China or Russia taking the same path. Their defence is that combating climate change would act as a stumbling block to their economies.
    Much of the initial damage was done by nations like the UK before Science had established a causal link between pollution and the world's weather patterns, e.g. the industrial revolution.
    Brazil's behaviour in flattening much of the rain forest, largely for economic reasons, shows how nationalism will prevent effective action. It's THEIR rain forest and THEY can do what they like with it. How do we know that flattening it impacts on the Earth. And if it does, what can we do by way of compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    Mali and Sudan are mostly desert, deserts get hot because there is no moisture in the air or ground to reflect the suns rays or absorb heat energy when i hits the surface, this also explains why deserts are very cold at night,there is nothing to stop the heat radiating away or trap it.

I get a bit confused with climate change, if the ice is melting and the seas are rising and the earth is heating up, you would expect the water cycle to ramp up a few notches and as there is more moisture being evaporated there should be more clouds, thus more protecting reflective surface to turn away the suns rays in turn cooling the earth down a bit and creating more rainfall, maybe it is that way but its all very confusiing with contradictory reports all over the place.
    I think clouds are a double-edged sword......my nights here are normally cold (semi-desert) and great for sleeping after midnight with all the windows open (I refuse to use air-con, 6 years now) BUT last night we had a thunderstorm around 10pm and with the cloud cover and the humidity it refused to cool down, even at a mile above sea level.....I tossed and turning, sweating like a pig until about 2am when I finally fell asleep......woke up at 6ish, still sweating and my pillow was soaked from sweating all night......clouds trap heat as well as shade the ground.

Here is a great example....I've been looking at buying a place in the Mindo Cloudforest almost smack on the equator....hot possibly?....no....intense cloud keeps it at 24 degrees today, but traps the heat at night 18 degrees, equator property so 12 hours day 12 hours night equals 21 degrees average temp.......just checked my Mexico temps for today, no rain no cloudcover equals 28 degrees day 15 night (assuming no thunderstorm) equals same average ......cloud cover is normally swings and roundabouts depending on altitude.
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/ec/mi...orecast/129835
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 20-09-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I think clouds are a double-edged sword......my nights here are normally cold (semi-desert) and great for sleeping after midnight with all the windows open (I refuse to use air-con, 6 years now) BUT last night we had a thunderstorm around 10pm and with the cloud cover and the humidity it refused to cool down, even at a mile above sea level.....I tossed and turning, sweating like a pig until about 2am when I finally fell asleep......woke up at 6ish, still sweating and my pillow was soaked from sweating all night......clouds trap heat as well as shade the ground.
    Yeah i get that i'm no climatologist or meteorologist its just that some of it when you think through the logic some of it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, and as the info on Skatornas link quiz shows a lot of what we hear and read should really be challenged more, i was very surprised by some of the answers, i havent fact checked all of them but i trust Skatorna when he says he has.he seems a fairly sensible chap.
    Hopefully we'll be long gone by time we turn into an iceball or a furnace, i just hope we can get Brexit over the line before the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Not much that Beechy and i agree on, but this is one of the few. However, I remain despondent.
    The answers do not lie with individuals but with nations. It's one of the EU's positives that it can draw up regulations for 27 countries. In most of that 27 they can also enforce the regulation. It's hard to see present day USA, China or Russia taking the same path. Their defence is that combating climate change would act as a stumbling block to their economies.
    Much of the initial damage was done by nations like the UK before Science had established a causal link between pollution and the world's weather patterns, e.g. the industrial revolution.
    Brazil's behaviour in flattening much of the rain forest, largely for economic reasons, shows how nationalism will prevent effective action. It's THEIR rain forest and THEY can do what they like with it. How do we know that flattening it impacts on the Earth. And if it does, what can we do by way of compensation?
    Global forest coverage is up 7%? One forest falls (at the rates it always has) and another grows - the higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere has actually led to shrinking deserts and incredibly healthy forests.

No. The answers ALWAYS lie with individuals. If you aren't willing to make any effort and have personal accountability you don't really believe in it. Governments will "fix" this "crisis" like they "fix" every "crisis" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatorna View Post
    https://order-order.com/2019/09/20/r...36AW8ScOLdisRY

Not a website I frequent often but saw this on facebook today and having researched the questions it all checks out. Its not to say the climate isn't changing, but the climate change movement love a bit of fake news and preying on people who don't really understand.

People should be more concerned about the Extinction Rebellions connections to Communism than they should about climate change, but thats just my opinion having read the literature.
    I agree that there is a lot of scare-mongering within the Climate Change "industry" itself, after all there is plenty of money to be made out of the Green Revolution....University grants, foreign study groups and placements, field trips, expenses etc etc.......I spend at least an hour a day surveying high-profile CC forums where, even after 6 years reading them every night, I still don't feel qualified to join officially, I've remained a "lurker"....these sites are predominantly peopled by ex-scientists and retired chemists and weathermen or woman plus a few incredibly serious "permies" who haven't washed in 6 years and eat only acorns (I'm being serious), but even there, it is frowned upon to be a "doomsday merchant" ie continually predict the world will end in 5 years....that simply isn't going to happen and the Climate Change Industry needs to just continue to print FACTS.
    We know the Earth is getting hotter....it doesn't matter why or how, we just need to cool it down (easier said than done)
    We know that the "cold bits" at the poles are disappearing, we have the evidence in black and white from satellite pics.....again it doesn't matter how or why it happened (CC is the obvious culprit) but again we need to save the ice somehow.
    We know the Earth is set to add another 2 billion mouths pdq.....does the West have the right to tell Africans to cut their birth-rates....not sure on the ethics.
    We know we are using up all the Earth's resources. You cannot simply make an extra billion barrels of gas or oil, cobalt or nickel or copper. Once it has all been spunked away on a new fancy car or a new tv or new iphone or computer every year for the existing greedy ****ers that already had one, plus an extra 2 billion newcomers to the biggest consumer party in history, there ain't going to be any more...once it's gone, it's gone....probably into some giant landfill site or buried in the deep ocean where aliens will discover it 5,000 years from now and scratch their heads in astonishment at our collective suicide....lemmings.
    Facts are facts.....we are the filthiest greedy race of mammals that ever inhabited this previously pristine planet....and we categorically refuse to get our act together....I'm sick of it....sick of picking up trash thrown from passing cars on my 200 metres of highway roadside, plastic bottles, glass bottles, paper cups, plastic straws, hundreds of crisp packets and the worst of all, disposable nappies full of **** and piss....if I don't move soon, I'm going to get arrested for homicide or manslaughter because one day I'm going to snap as I open my 8 feet steel gates to find another merc driver emptying his trash into my driveway.
    I need a beer....I've depressed myself

Some cracking stuff from Tarquers in this thread. Some of the deniers should be wondering where all those black and brown people they love so much are going to go when where they live becomes uninhabitable.

Man made climate change is real, we caused it, and we’ve got to do something(probably a lot) about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast