+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O-T Global Climate Action Day

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I agree that there is a lot of scare-mongering within the Climate Change "industry" itself, after all there is plenty of money to be made out of the Green Revolution....University grants, foreign study groups and placements, field trips, expenses etc etc.......I spend at least an hour a day surveying high-profile CC forums where, even after 6 years reading them every night, I still don't feel qualified to join officially, I've remained a "lurker"....these sites are predominantly peopled by ex-scientists and retired chemists and weathermen or woman plus a few incredibly serious "permies" who haven't washed in 6 years and eat only acorns (I'm being serious), but even there, it is frowned upon to be a "doomsday merchant" ie continually predict the world will end in 5 years....that simply isn't going to happen and the Climate Change Industry needs to just continue to print FACTS.
    We know the Earth is getting hotter....it doesn't matter why or how, we just need to cool it down (easier said than done)
    We know that the "cold bits" at the poles are disappearing, we have the evidence in black and white from satellite pics.....again it doesn't matter how or why it happened (CC is the obvious culprit) but again we need to save the ice somehow.
    We know the Earth is set to add another 2 billion mouths pdq.....does the West have the right to tell Africans to cut their birth-rates....not sure on the ethics.
    We know we are using up all the Earth's resources. You cannot simply make an extra billion barrels of gas or oil, cobalt or nickel or copper. Once it has all been spunked away on a new fancy car or a new tv or new iphone or computer every year for the existing greedy ****ers that already had one, plus an extra 2 billion newcomers to the biggest consumer party in history, there ain't going to be any more...once it's gone, it's gone....probably into some giant landfill site or buried in the deep ocean where aliens will discover it 5,000 years from now and scratch their heads in astonishment at our collective suicide....lemmings.
    Facts are facts.....we are the filthiest greedy race of mammals that ever inhabited this previously pristine planet....and we categorically refuse to get our act together....I'm sick of it....sick of picking up trash thrown from passing cars on my 200 metres of highway roadside, plastic bottles, glass bottles, paper cups, plastic straws, hundreds of crisp packets and the worst of all, disposable nappies full of **** and piss....if I don't move soon, I'm going to get arrested for homicide or manslaughter because one day I'm going to snap as I open my 8 feet steel gates to find another merc driver emptying his trash into my driveway.
    I need a beer....I've depressed myself
    Dont be too down just try be within driving distance of denver when 'they' start the pandemic that culls 95% of the population, enjoy that beer

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Some cracking stuff from Tarquers in this thread.
    I agree, and fair play to tarquin for highlighting something that is way more important than Brexit regarding the future of our kids, even though Donald regularly dismisses it as 'fake news'. I would disagree with Skatorna who places all responsibility for solving it on the individual, because he's again doing the pseudo-intellectual approach that he's admittedly very good at. This problem needs strong actions from our leaders asap, even if it's only on a 'safety first' basis. The consequences of a 'fake news' approach are too grave to contemplate.

Didn't know anything about the cycling protest today in Nottingham, if I had I might have got on my bike mesen. That outstanding young lady from Sweden as made me sit up and take notice, I just hope others will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If it's a Stags fan, at least evolution will have come full circle.
    Their defence is certainly Leakey this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatorna View Post
    Global forest coverage is up 7%? One forest falls (at the rates it always has) and another grows - the higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere has actually led to shrinking deserts and incredibly healthy forests.

No. The answers ALWAYS lie with individuals. If you aren't willing to make any effort and have personal accountability you don't really believe in it. Governments will "fix" this "crisis" like they "fix" every "crisis" lol.
    So you really think there is the likelihood that individuals can solve this then you're a fool. Of course individuals need to take their own responsibility but only political action by governments will bring true change. I agree that depends on individuals voting the right governments in but acting alone will not save the planet.
    I can give a beggar my last £100 as a sign of my benevolence but it won't change inequality, only governments can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So you really think there is the likelihood that individuals can solve this then you're a fool. Of course individuals need to take their own responsibility but only political action by governments will bring true change. I agree that depends on individuals voting the right governments in but acting alone will not save the planet.
    I can give a beggar my last £100 as a sign of my benevolence but it won't change inequality, only governments can do that.
    Individuals could make a change if everybody did it... but they won't,it is human nature(do as i say, not as i do) as you say it will come down to governments enforcing wholesale changes, unfortunately there is unlikely to be a time when all of the 'right' governments of the world are in place to make the changes.
    If changes are in fact necessary, there is still some debate about whether there is a crisis or if it is a way of making large sums of money change hands for the good of a few ,If there is a crisis then this may be the ending to the story of the boy who cried wolf, we're so cynical and don't believe what we hear anymore because we've been tricked all too often.It could already be too late.

If you gave the beggar your last £100 wouldn't that make him the rich man and you the beggar? maybe giving him 50 quid could create equality and you could go off for a pint and talk about football.

There is still the option of the global pandemic to wipe out 95% of the people......

This is why I enjoy this forum. Just yesterday I was thinking how quiet the board was, apart from the usual brexit spats there was not much happening and then boom, someone (thanks Tarkers) drops an informative and interesting thread out of nowhere that generates some great debate.

It seems clear to me that both the powers that be and individuals alike have a responsibility to do their bit in ensuring that this planet remains habitable for as long as possible. Scientists and the explosion of technology since the industrial revolution has played its part in the demise of the planet as a natural resource and it is the modern day scientists and new technologies that will have the biggest impact in trying to reverse the damaging process.

Of course the biggest challenge is how do they do that without impacting on the economies of those countries that rely on the revenue derived from the depletion of said natural resources? It’s interesting that here in the UK we have already made great strides in utilising renewable energy sources such as solar and wind powered generators and this’s has resulted in us earlier this year not burning any coal to power our power stations for two weeks. Doesn’t seem much but in fact that was a huge achievement. Additionally our coal burning power stations are in rapid demise with I believe only 5(?) remaining?

Government grants are easy to get for R&D purposes now if you have a new product that has a positive impact on technology and the environment so I believe there is definitely an effort to improve in this country if nothing else.

We can all make a difference, for the last 10 years or so I have been parading about our streets in a diesel guzzling Bavarian chariot, but I have already started to investigate the option of swapping to a hybrid, if the infrastructure was a bit further advanced for a full blown EV I would have considered that. The wife and me are currently at our little hideaway on the North Norfolk coast, just about to walk the dog and the wife will take a carrier bag out with her because we will pick up any rubbish we find on the beach during our walk. There is no means for recycled waste collection where we are so we end up bringing all our recyclable waste home with us. Maybe it’s too little too late on our part but I would like to think we are making the effort.

Unbe****inlievable

Name:  Capture1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  16.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Some cracking stuff from Tarquers in this thread. Some of the deniers should be wondering where all those black and brown people they love so much are going to go when where they live becomes uninhabitable.

Man made climate change is real, we caused it, and we’ve got to do something(probably a lot) about it.
    Why do you presume "deniers" love black and brown people any more or less than those who believe the green propaganda?
    The reason there'll be more and more black and brown people around is that Africa will see the greatest population explosion on the planet over the next half-century. That is a real disaster, and not only for Africans. Economic progress is happening in Africa but it will be unsustainable population numbers more than any climate change which will retard it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123