+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bury

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    This
    And this^^^

Other clubs who have experienced financial problems have had to start again at a lower level. As much as I feel sympathy for the supporters, what makes them so special?

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Should they be allowed back into the League? I think expulsion means just that,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49776759

What would be the point of having rules otherwise?
    Its a difficult one. As fans we know our club was perilously close to the brink of existence and it’s not fair that the fans should suffer and one single owner can have that much power that they can kill a club. A club will always be it’s supporters and fans.

On the other hand if they had been able to fore fill their fixtures then it’s highly likely they would be in a similar position to Bolton and be on course for relegation to League Two.

So the question has to be asked is whether a a seasons suspension and automatic relegation to League Two is a suitable punishment to fit the crime?

It would probably need to be voted on by all the EFL Clubs and if the majority were in favour of their reinstatement then fair enough.

Likewise the EFL would have to scrutinise the deal and be assured that the club was able to be solvent throughout the new season and would have the funds required to complete the season. That really should be a new mandate for all clubs to enter their competitions, but that is a different story.

My own thoughts that starting back in League Two next season is that a seasons suspension and relegation is suitable punishment.

Whatever the outcome it will set the precedence for other clubs, so needs to be careful consideration.

Demoted to the National League North at least

No they shouldn't be allowed back into League Two, sorry but have to do what everyone else does.

Am I right in thinking there is still a big question mark over the clubs ability to remain a going concern. If the financial side is not sorted and they go bust the whole league issue is irrelevant. For what it’s worth I think the level at which they are allowed to re-enter the pyramid should also consider the clubs ability to compete at said level. Take Bolton for example, after the turmoil there they are clearly not able to compete in L1 and maybe should have been relegated to L2 or even the NL. I would say NL North would be a suitable placement for Bury in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Am I right in thinking there is still a big question mark over the clubs ability to remain a going concern. If the financial side is not sorted and they go bust the whole league issue is irrelevant. For what it’s worth I think the level at which they are allowed to re-enter the pyramid should also consider the clubs ability to compete at said level. Take Bolton for example, after the turmoil there they are clearly not able to compete in L1 and maybe should have been relegated to L2 or even the NL. I would say NL North would be a suitable placement for Bury in this respect.
    That seems a sensible solution and would probably work for Bury and there wouldn't be too many complaints, but it sets a very tricky discussion when the next team goes under, who decides what is fair, football already had a reputation for corruption and dodgy dealings if it is a team of bigger perceived stature and they only dropped a couple of divisions it might be seen as unfair and there could be all kinds of arguments and legal wranglings.
    If a big teamwent bust and were dropped to L1 or L2, they would all of a sudden become very attractive prospect to buy up and invest in and there would be all kinds of interest in snapping up a ready made PL club on the cheap.

I think the punishment has to be the same whoever it happens to, unfortunately Bury need to be made the example of as to what will happen in future, it may in the long run stop teams like Sunderland and Hull and Wigan and Portsmouth from experiencing the difficulties they have after having short stints in the PL and massively overspending, knowing they could drop to the bottom of the pyramid may have a positive knock on effect the whole of the EFL and clubs will be less likely to overstretch themselves or gamble their futures.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    That seems a sensible solution and would probably work for Bury and there wouldn't be too many complaints, but it sets a very tricky discussion when the next team goes under, who decides what is fair, football already had a reputation for corruption and dodgy dealings if it is a team of bigger perceived stature and they only dropped a couple of divisions it might be seen as unfair and there could be all kinds of arguments and legal wranglings.
    If a big teamwent bust and were dropped to L1 or L2, they would all of a sudden become very attractive prospect to buy up and invest in and there would be all kinds of interest in snapping up a ready made PL club on the cheap.

I think the punishment has to be the same whoever it happens to, unfortunately Bury need to be made the example of as to what will happen in future, it may in the long run stop teams like Sunderland and Hull and Wigan and Portsmouth from experiencing the difficulties they have after having short stints in the PL and massively overspending, knowing they could drop to the bottom of the pyramid may have a positive knock on effect the whole of the EFL and clubs will be less likely to overstretch themselves or gamble their futures.
    Thats a fair comment. I think there has to be a distinction though between financial irregularities, an inability to fund a competitive league campaign, administration and liquidation.

In Bury’s case they currently fall under the first two remits where there is an investigation into financial irregularities and a definite case of not being able to fund a competitive league campaign, however at the moment they are not in admin, although they have entered into a CVA and they have not gone bust.

The league they are currently members of should decide what the punishment should be for each scenario. It might look something like this;

1. Liquidation- Club no longer exists as a legal entity so have their membership removed.
    2. Admin or CVA - Points deduction as currently handed out.
    3. Unable to fulfill fixtures or fund a competitive season long campaign - Expelled from the league.

At the moment Bury would in the worst case fall into category number 3. Let’s say they were expelled from the EFL then it would be down to them to apply for re-election to the EFL and if that fails apply for election to the National League. The NL would then decide at what level they should be allowed to enter at.

Im not saying this is foolproof and it still raises plenty of questions but it would start to develop a structure that makes it very clear to club owners what the risks are of financial mismanagement.

I don’t see why people consider their expulsion as a punishment, it’s just a consequence of their actions, as is relegation. Bad luck on their fans of course, as is relegation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12