+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: One up front…

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Appere has been playing left side but had IMHO, been coming in more to an inside left channel and was playing much more closer to Shankland through games. Saturday it was almost like he was superglued to the left touchline. Result? Shankland is isolated with two central defenders and no 'big' player (i.e. Appere) to help with challenging these guys and stretching them, making their job harder, especially when the 'long balls' from the back were being bombed forward.
    I think that had more to do with the way they were set up to be fair, and probably because we felt more of a need to stretch them. Not that it worked particularly well though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    Yeah, a lot of Utd fans seem to have a bee in their bonnet about this. I've never understood it.
    The fact is we just didn't play well on Saturday. And Arbroath worked their socks off, were very well organised and forced us to go long too often by pressing our midfield and full-backs whenever our centre-halves had possession. You have to give them credit for that.
    It’s the tentative start, and tippy tappy p!sh across the back/midfield that fecks me off, and that’s how we started on Sat (and I believe against Ayr).
    As I’ve said before, we should be starting with high intensity, and going straight for the jugular from kick-off every game, to get that all important first goal, and take control of the game. We did in the first four games (but unfortunate to lose the first goal against Partick, but regrouped), why not against Ayr? (Robbie more frightened to lose, than go win), it unsettled us, and against the mighty Arbroath at home, we do the same! Go figure??

It doesn't really matter as long as we get the three points though. That's twice out of six league matches we've been behind but won.

Terry,
    I really do applaud your positivity, but can you not see how that kind of performance from Saturday can end so differently against Morton? Getting further into the season with more managers getting their way of playing instilled into the players as well?

Need to be treating every game like a cup final and raising our game like our opponents are doing or its gonna get painful again!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Terry,
    I really do applaud your positivity, but can you not see how that kind of performance from Saturday can end so differently against Morton? Getting further into the season with more managers getting their way of playing instilled into the players as well?

Need to be treating every game like a cup final and raising our game like our opponents are doing or its gonna get painful again!
    I don't see wanting to watch 88 minutes of sh1te as being positive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Appere has been playing left side but had IMHO, been coming in more to an inside left channel and was playing much more closer to Shankland through games. Saturday it was almost like he was superglued to the left touchline. Result? Shankland is isolated with two central defenders and no 'big' player (i.e. Appere) to help with challenging these guys and stretching them, making their job harder, especially when the 'long balls' from the back were being bombed forward.
    Agreed. Play Appere beside Shankland, not out left.
    No coincidence we battered the Dees with that exact formation.

Edit to say, the reason Ayr created so much for Shankland was they played Moffat in and around him.
    Last edited by stokearab; 23-09-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    It’s the tentative start, and tippy tappy p!sh across the back/midfield that fecks me off, and that’s how we started on Sat (and I believe against Ayr).
    As I’ve said before, we should be starting with high intensity, and going straight for the jugular from kick-off every game, to get that all important first goal, and take control of the game. We did in the first four games (but unfortunate to lose the first goal against Partick, but regrouped), why not against Ayr? (Robbie more frightened to lose, than go win), it unsettled us, and against the mighty Arbroath at home, we do the same! Go figure??

As I've posted a few times and destroys this ridiculous scared to lose myth/theory

Where are all the draws?? We aren't drawing league games since January, just 2 draws in 20 and none in the last 10 (8 wins 2 losses including the meaningless game at Morton)... It's because we are going for wins and not settling for a draw... That's why we won on Saturday and at Partick, and should have got something from Ayr but for Clarks miss from losing positions (another thing we have improved on under Neilson)

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Agreed. Play Appere beside Shankland, not out left.
    No coincidence we battered the Dees with that exact formation.

Edit to say, the reason Ayr created so much for Shankland was they played Moffat in and around him.

We have created the most chances, had most on target and scored the most in the league

Given he has scored 10 in the league and missed other chances we are creating

Not every game is going to be great where we get everything we want, Terry is spot on, all that matters in this division is the results and that's what we are doing consistently

Can't beat a winning feeling and to get one from being behind against a good team defensively who were unbeaten since the opening game was pleasing when not playing well

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    We have created the most chances, had most on target and scored the most in the league

Given he has scored 10 in the league and missed other chances we are creating

Not every game is going to be great where we get everything we want, Terry is spot on, all that matters in this division is the results and that's what we are doing consistently

Can't beat a winning feeling and to get one from being behind against a good team defensively who were unbeaten since the opening game was pleasing when not playing well
    Agree with all that, and generally feeling positive but the thread isn't about that. It's about the way Robbie sets the team up and how well we play as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    That's how I've been seeing it too. There is a big hang up about one up front where, in reality, we play 4 up front with a lot of interchange.
    totally disagree, nothing like 4 up front, usual pish being 1 up front, 1 miles behind and two oot wide who 9/10 times arent even wingers

its absolute dog sh1t

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)