+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: One up front…

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Slavering boo boy is quite an interesting observation to make about someone, something i could maybe attribute to you and your opinion on Stanton and Clark.

Yes it is results that matter, but we have been down here for too long, but there have been warning flags. Poor win at Stenhousemuir, papped out by EF. Poor v Partick and get a win, only to be beaten again by Ayr and last ditch win v Arbroath. And all the games you mention, and i will take in draw and second half win v Brechin, there were warning signs in the lead up to those games that you keep ignoring! The warning signs for today came from Arbroaths form and 2 weeks ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Slavering boo boy is quite an interesting observation to make about someone, something i could maybe attribute to you and your opinion on Stanton and Clark.

Yes it is results that matter, but we have been down here for too long, but there have been warning flags. Poor win at Stenhousemuir, papped out by EF. Poor v Partick and get a win, only to be beaten again by Ayr and last ditch win v Arbroath. And all the games you mention, and i will take in draw and second half win v Brechin, there were warning signs in the lead up to those games that you keep ignoring! The warning signs for today came from Arbroaths form and 2 weeks ago!

Clark hasn't taken any of the easy chances he has had this season, he did ok though in the first three matches out on the left, Stanton has been good (not today) but prefer Butcher and Harkes

How long we have been down here is nothing to do with Neilson... He only took over a mess less than a year ago and the improvement is huge, the league cup was meaningless in hindsight due to the short close season we had compared to others, it proved to be nothing more than good prep for the league season

I'm not ignoring anything that matters, the league is all that matters, that's the league we are top of with 5 wins from 6... our league form going back the last 20 matches since the Jan window shut shows us winning 14 and taking more than 2 pts a game, it's improved so far this season

We will be even better with a positive fan base getting behind it, in the circumstances, new owner, big improvement and a proper chance at automatic promotion, I've not felt this happy and confident about the future since the end of January 2015, I find it puzzling how much negative thinking there is, it's all good to criticise but there needs to be fairness, some arent being fair towards Neilson, he is delivering the results and stability we need so far, if he wasn't getting the results he would be getting ripped, but he is and has been consistently now to deserve a bit more credit and backing, he hasn't had a really dreadful run yet with his own team, it may or may not happen

United as a club need a McInnes type long tenure of 4-5-6 years with one manager, the closest we got since Jim was Levein and Houston era at 3 years each and there was a lot of continuity so seemed like one 6 year era, Neilson hasn't even reached a year yet, done well overall and yet you get restlessness.. We need to look at the bigger picture and let him have create an "era", there's is obviously a plan and he is very much part of it, it's not healthy for us to be adding pressure on when we are doing well (tbf apart from the odd boo at ht and the appere sub the fans hit behind them today)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    If we win every single game like that then I'll be extremely happy. 🙂
    You'll be happy, I'll be on a ****ing ventilator 😂

Dont think it has been mentioned but what a nice touch and cross from Liam Smith for Shanklland's winner.

Quote Originally Posted by psych View Post
    Dont think it has been mentioned but what a nice touch and cross from Liam Smith for Shanklland's winner.
    He never had his best match but that goes to show what perceverance can bring. That moment was absolute class.

The one question I would like to ask is that from the first four league games where Appere has played up alongside Shankland and acted as a perfect foil for him, who randomly decided that from now on in he is suddenly a left winger????

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    The one question I would like to ask is that from the first four league games where Appere has played up alongside Shankland and acted as a perfect foil for him, who randomly decided that from now on in he is suddenly a left winger????
    Agree yesterday was his poorest game so far.

He never had his best match but that goes to show what perceverance can bring. That moment was absolute class.
    Smith was poor yesterday and in last week's game also, but that was superb from him for the winner.

the biggest problem for me atm is Pawlett. He seems to be the player Neilson wants on the picth so he can move him about and change things up formation wise but he has not played well enough to merit being this key player as he has had minimal impact where ever he is played. The left mid position is causing issues for me, we need a stable body in that position so we can have aperre up top, if that means Pawlett misses out the so be it.

Won't make any difference to the shots, shots on target (they still only had one), or corners. ��
    Lets be objective here, lets play the devil's advocate.

The BBC stats can be misleading as the stats do show that United had much more possession - what the stats don't tell you is that Arbroath were very happy for United to have the ball in their own half or in midfield - Arbroath were happy to contain United in these positions, which is one of the reasons the stats show United had more of the ball.

Also, United did have more shots at goal, but besides the two goals, how many actually troubled their keeper ( maybe 2 shots at best ) - the rest of the shots never really troubled the keeper.

Both sides hit the woodwork - but neither of the keepers were put under much pressure ( Arbroath's keeper had to work a little harder, but was not really troubled by much until Shankland scored the 2 goals ).

I like reading stats, they are handy to have, but they don't tell the full story .

The stats also don't show that Arbroath are part - time, have a smaller squad and a much smaller budget - just being the devil's advocate here, but stats don't factor this into the match.

Did Arbroath deserve to get beat ? - being objective here I think they were more than worthy of a draw.

So, on balance, a very good 3 points for United considering they were 5 minutes from defeat and hopefully this will be the start of a winning run.

Arbroath will do well this season and look like they can take points off any team in this league - so, although United were given a "Get of of Jail" card yesterday, with hindsight it was a good 3 points as a lot of teams are going to struggle to get 3 points against Arbroath this season.
    Last edited by ClashCityRocker; 22-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClashCityRocker View Post
    Lets be objective here, lets play the devil's advocate.

The BBC stats can be misleading as the stats do show that United had much more possession - what the stats don't tell you is that Arbroath were very happy for United to have the ball in their own half or in midfield - Arbroath were happy to contain United in these positions, which is one of the reasons the stats show United had more of the ball.

Also, United did have more shots at goal, but besides the two goals, how many actually troubled their keeper ( maybe 2 shots at best ) - the rest of the shots never really troubled the keeper.

Both sides hit the woodwork - but neither of the keepers were put under much pressure ( Arbroath's keeper had to work a little harder, but was not really troubled by much until Shankland scored the 2 goals ).

I like reading stats, they are handy to have, but they don't tell the full story .

The stats also don't show that Arbroath are part - time, have a smaller squad and a much smaller budget - just being the devil's advocate here, but stats don't factor this into the match.

Did Arbroath deserve to get beat ? - being objective here I think they were more than worthy of a draw.

So, on balance, a very good 3 points for United considering they were 5 minutes from defeat and hopefully this will be the start of a winning run.

Arbroath will do well this season and look like they can take points off any team in this league - so, although United were given a "Get of of Jail" card yesterday, with hindsight it was a good 3 points as a lot of teams are going to struggle to get 3 points against Arbroath this season.
    Post of the week(I do not judge my own ).

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)