+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce as Manager

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    So how long do you want to give Bruce, bearing in mind that you said we would finish 9th this season and we’re on par with 90% of the teams
    Bruce needs a couple of seasons....if he manages to keep us away from being relegated.
    You see, there's an easy way to see how much time he should get simply by looking at the squad under him. If they're performing for him or at least putting in the effort then he has a chance.

If you see heads drop and players not up to scratch, fitness wise...etc, then it's a simple case of get him binned as quick as possible.

6 games in is no time to judge anyone.
    The mercenary hero that was Rafa went 10 games without a win in his third season, like I said. Were fans calling for his head? No....apart from me and maybe a few others willing to speak out.

And I said we were on par with 80% of teams outside of the elite band, which to me is 4 main teams...being Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Then you have Arsenal and Tottenham into that mix.
    The rest we are well on par with.

And I still have enough faith that we'll finish the season well and I'll be sticking with my prediction of 9th, because I see enough to be worked on. It's just a case of hoping Bruce manages to get the required out of them. I think he will.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Bruce needs a couple of seasons....if he manages to keep us away from being relegated.
    You see, there's an easy way to see how much time he should get simply by looking at the squad under him. If they're performing for him or at least putting in the effort then he has a chance.

If you see heads drop and players not up to scratch, fitness wise...etc, then it's a simple case of get him binned as quick as possible.

6 games in is no time to judge anyone.
    The mercenary hero that was Rafa went 10 games without a win in his third season, like I said. Were fans calling for his head? No....apart from me and maybe a few others willing to speak out.

And I said we were on par with 80% of teams outside of the elite band, which to me is 4 main teams...being Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Then you have Arsenal and Tottenham into that mix.
    The rest we are well on par with.

And I still have enough faith that we'll finish the season well and I'll be sticking with my prediction of 9th, because I see enough to be worked on. It's just a case of hoping Bruce manages to get the required out of them. I think he will.

Well I suppose you can live and dream but if your that confident of a 9th place finish lump as much money as you can afford on as you’ll get around 11/1

I don’t recall Rafa having £40 million and £20 million players at his disposal though. We had to put up with Joselu Bruce has spent huge sums of money before the season started so let see what transpires I just wish I had your faith.

Well I suppose you can live and dream but if your that confident of a 9th place finish lump as much money as you can afford on as you’ll get around 11/1
    That's what I always do. I live and dream. I always have hope that something will change for the better.
    I've had many downers supporting Newcastle United, as we all have and I've despaired many a time. There's been times I've tried to take positives from games and couldn't find any.
    Most of them have been under Rafa and I'm not kidding.

I don’t recall Rafa having £40 million and £20 million players at his disposal though.
    He had plenty of money to spend and spent it unwisely, leaving him with the scrapings to finish off with. Joselu was his scraping....but...He chose Spanish players and players he had no intention of playing. It was his fault he blew his money.

Apparently Joelinton was on the radar for Rafa and he had the opportunity to buy him but refused because he wasn't committed to the club, it appears. Whether there's a full truth in that, is up for debate.
    I personally think Rafa had many opportunities to buy bigger. I think he played the fans and the club and showed it by already having a deal done in China.
    Look at the players he chose to buy and basically put them on the scrapheap. That was criminal in itself.

I don't think Bruce has signed most of these players. I think they were all in the pipeline before he came.
    I can't back any of it up with facts but can anyone shoot it all down with facts, or is it all a reliance on the norm of speculation between everyone?

We had to put up with Joselu Bruce has spent huge sums of money before the season started so let see what transpires I just wish I had your faith.
    Bruce has had little to spend if we want to hark back to the arguments that were rife for Rafa's spends not being net in his time.
    Swings and roundabouts.
    The difference is, Rafa was paid a kings ransom to do nothing more than what an average manager could've achieved with that squad, in my opinion.

Bruce is on a hiding to nothing.

If he does well it's because he was lucky to have all these new players.
    If he struggles with relegation or close to it, even if he keeps us up by the skin of his teeth, it's because he's a championship manager or clueless or bought duff players...etc....etc.

If he managed to do well this season and get us into Europe the next he'd be cast off as simply just being lucky...like Pardew was, apparently, with some fans.

As for having my faith. Anyone can have it. It's called hope. Even if it's cast off as blind hope, it's better than looking at the next match as a defeat or simply not being interested until big changes are made to the owner/manager and players...for bigger and better...because that's what this all boils down to.

Too many people seem to be living off the past with rose tinted specs and forget just how much the premier league has changed due to sugar daddies bankrolling certain clubs to be almost untouchable and are fuming because we can't have a sheikh type owner or a cash splasher...to the raw end where some fans would actually take a double relegation in order to get rid of an owner who apparently runs the club just fine but not quite fine enough and yet a double relegation seems to be ultra fine.

Crowds of about 10,000/20,000 would be the norm under that scenario with some new owner(s) spending pennies just to keep a sensible push and incurring the wrath of the fans for not going gung ho to get us back into the premier league. But so what...Ashley would be gone.

Apparently the fans that shout " we'll support you evermore" are the problem with the club because they're stopping those that really love the club, who have chosen to abandon it of their support...from getting their own way and ridding it of being run efficiently.
    You just can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 23-09-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Yeah like I did with Rafa.
    Rafa had plenty of time and could do no wrong with some. But I backed him at first, once he signed his contract after what seemed like an eternity until he apparently crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's.

But then he went 10 games without a win and this was in his third season...but he had this plan. He was some genius and some fans believed he could do no wrong...which is part of the reason Bruce is getting a rough ride, along with his grave crime of managing another north east rival.

Bruce has had 6 games and a pre season where he wasn't allowed full hands on due to work permit issues. None for Rafa though...but that's another issue.

My gripe with Rafa wasn't just his horrible football for most of the season, it was his mentality of putting on defenders or using attackers as defenders first, even when we were a goal down or two, instead of having a real go and all in the name of a goal difference to keep that was better than those around us, clap trap.

I'll slate Bruce when Bruce has the opportunity to push on and doesn't. 6 games is not a time to criticise him when Rafa left the squad with a robotic mindset (in my opinion) that requires restructuring.

Players like Almiron, Atsu, Saint Maximin, Joelinton and Willems, when up to speed and drilled in with the rest...will...in my opinion, produce much better as the season goes on. Better football and better results.

However, given the fact that many have us down as relegation fodder...I'd say that (under the circumstances) we've done ok with 5 points from 6 games.

So yeah get behind the manager until he's had enough time to implement his ways into the squad.
    And people need to forget about his past management. This is where he is and he should be judged on Newcastle in the now, not in the past.

Just like Benitez was revered for his past and could've stunk out a small room with strong curried kebab farts and some fans would swear he was wearing Dolce & Gabbana.
    I'll spell this out for your tiny brain...

We are not doing well considering we think we will be relegated...we are in the relegation zone...

We think we will be relegated because of the way we've played, the teams we've failed to beat and the style of play...not the other way around!

That's what I always do. I live and dream. I always have hope that something will change for the better.
    I've had many downers supporting Newcastle United, as we all have and I've despaired many a time. There's been times I've tried to take positives from games and couldn't find any.
    Most of them have been under Rafa and I'm not kidding.

He had plenty of money to spend and spent it unwisely, leaving him with the scrapings to finish off with. Joselu was his scraping....but...He chose Spanish players and players he had no intention of playing. It was his fault he blew his money.

Apparently Joelinton was on the radar for Rafa and he had the opportunity to buy him but refused because he wasn't committed to the club, it appears. Whether there's a full truth in that, is up for debate.
    I personally think Rafa had many opportunities to buy bigger. I think he played the fans and the club and showed it by already having a deal done in China.
    Look at the players he chose to buy and basically put them on the scrapheap. That was criminal in itself.

I don't think Bruce has signed most of these players. I think they were all in the pipeline before he came.
    I can't back any of it up with facts but can anyone shoot it all down with facts, or is it all a reliance on the norm of speculation between everyone?

Bruce has had little to spend if we want to hark back to the arguments that were rife for Rafa's spends not being net in his time.
    Swings and roundabouts.
    The difference is, Rafa was paid a kings ransom to do nothing more than what an average manager could've achieved with that squad, in my opinion.

Bruce is on a hiding to nothing.

If he does well it's because he was lucky to have all these new players.
    If he struggles with relegation or close to it, even if he keeps us up by the skin of his teeth, it's because he's a championship manager or clueless or bought duff players...etc....etc.

If he managed to do well this season and get us into Europe the next he'd be cast off as simply just being lucky...like Pardew was, apparently, with some fans.

As for having my faith. Anyone can have it. It's called hope. Even if it's cast off as blind hope, it's better than looking at the next match as a defeat or simply not being interested until big changes are made to the owner/manager and players...for bigger and better...because that's what this all boils down to.

Too many people seem to be living off the past with rose tinted specs and forget just how much the premier league has changed due to sugar daddies bankrolling certain clubs to be almost untouchable and are fuming because we can't have a sheikh type owner or a cash splasher...to the raw end where some fans would actually take a double relegation in order to get rid of an owner who apparently runs the club just fine but not quite fine enough and yet a double relegation seems to be ultra fine.

Crowds of about 10,000/20,000 would be the norm under that scenario with some new owner(s) spending pennies just to keep a sensible push and incurring the wrath of the fans for not going gung ho to get us back into the premier league. But so what...Ashley would be gone.

Apparently the fans that shout " we'll support you evermore" are the problem with the club because they're stopping those that really love the club, who have chosen to abandon it of their support...from getting their own way and ridding it of being run efficiently.
    You just can't make this stuff up.
    Usual b0ll0x

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    Usual b0ll0x
    Aren't I excited by the fact that this FANTASIST is blocked on my account so I'm not continually cluttered with the constant rubbish.

That is unless it's repeated in a reply when it becomes a laugh a minute.

You should all try blocking. It makes it SO,SO, peaceful.

I defy any real Newcastle supporter not to be extremely concerned after watching that match on Saturday. Don’t let 10 minutes of gung ho at the end let us forget 80 minutes of drab cr*p.
    It’s expensive to watch football these days and the club isn’t investing to make it entertaining. Ashley has tested the loyalty of our fans to the limit - we’ll never stop loving the club but don’t want to be taken for gullible idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I defy any real Newcastle supporter not to be extremely concerned after watching that match on Saturday. Don’t let 10 minutes of gung ho at the end let us forget 80 minutes of drab cr*p.
    It’s expensive to watch football these days and the club isn’t investing to make it entertaining. Ashley has tested the loyalty of our fans to the limit - we’ll never stop loving the club but don’t want to be taken for gullible idiots.
    So what's all these buys then?

Almiron.
    Saint-Maximin.
    Joelinton.
    Willems. (loan)
    Carroll.

What exactly should the club be buying to make it more exciting?
    Bruce has the opportunity to get these players firing along with the back up of the seasoned players at the club.
    We have the potential for an exciting team once again. It's just a case of hoping Bruce is the man to put it together.
    many think he won't but many also say "give him time."

The club should not be employing a manger of the standard of Steve Bruce. His record is very poor and blindly hoping that he does something that he's never done before in his career is pathetic for a club of Newcastle's stature. All 'those' buys as you put it, is the best we've had for many a window but still completely sh*t compared to any other PL club.

You are so easily pleased - maybe you've got used to Jack Ross.

The club should not be employing a manger of the standard of Steve Bruce.
    Who should the club employ then?

His record is very poor and blindly hoping that he does something that he's never done before in his career is pathetic for a club of Newcastle's stature.
    His record isn't very poor. His record is actually ok.

All 'those' buys as you put it, is the best we've had for many a window but still completely sh*t compared to any other PL club.
    What other premier league clubs have had better buys than us, apart from the obvious elites?

You are so easily pleased.
    No I'm not easily pleased but I'm able and willing to give managers and players a chance until I realise they're either not for us or they actually do well.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)