+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT Conkers

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Just looked it up, Buckeyes look similar but are not Horse Chestnuts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus_glabra
    From the first paragraph on your link:
    The tree species Aesculus glabra is commonly known as Ohio buckeye, American buckeye, or fetid buckeye. A. glabra is one of 13–19 species of Aesculus also called horse chestnuts.

I'm not sure from that whether it is or it isn't!

Surely it’s a chestnut that a horse would eat?

You can also get sweet versions made from chocolate and peanut butter fudge.

https://www.marshasbuckeyes.com/pages/about-us

I have a conker tree but no one to play with.

The girls collect them when they have fallen and we have a competition between ourselves but not with them on a length of string. Instead we have a catapult and fire them at targets.

I think that the world champion conker player is from Périgordmillers neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    Don’t kids play conkers anymore? When I was a boy in the early 70’s almost every boy played them and those not playing were watching others play.

Saturday mornings in The conker season you’d see gangs of boys armed with chair legs for throwing into the trees, a pen knife for opening them and a carrier bag to bring the booty home.

If you ever saw a conker on the floor you’d grab it like it was gold dust, nowadays they’re just left to rot all over the park.

For all the technology and games consoles, boys today have missed out on a lot of enjoyment that boys of yesteryear had.
    Loyal, great memories. Clifton Park entrance just on the corner junction with Middle Lane South and Doncaster Road, there’s a great Conner tree.

Last year I was asked by my 4 year old Grand Daughter at the time, if I would take her conkering. 😁😁😁 made me chuckle her asking. Apparently her Dad had taken her to Rosehill Park and showed her what conkers were.

So there was I throwing a stick up in the air to get the conkers down and I have to say, it brought many memories back of my childhood.

I’ve still got the stick in the cupboard in readiness of being asked again this year.

Video games v conkers? That’s where the happiness of youth has disappeared to in some kids bedrooms where they become loners and, although not totally proven, progress to ****s with morbid fascinations with a desire to kill or harm others.

Yeh video games, a lot to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Loyal, great memories. Clifton Park entrance just on the corner junction with Middle Lane South and Doncaster Road, there’s a great Conner tree.

Last year I was asked by my 4 year old Grand Daughter at the time, if I would take her conkering. ������ made me chuckle her asking. Apparently her Dad had taken her to Rosehill Park and showed her what conkers were.

So there was I throwing a stick up in the air to get the conkers down and I have to say, it brought many memories back of my childhood.

I’ve still got the stick in the cupboard in readiness of being asked again this year.

Video games v conkers? That’s where the happiness of youth has disappeared to in some kids bedrooms where they become loners and, although not totally proven, progress to ****s with morbid fascinations with a desire to kill or harm others.

Yeh video games, a lot to answer for.
    Loyal, great memories. Clifton Park entrance just on the corner junction with Middle Lane South and Doncaster Road, there’s a great Conner tree.[/quote]

Is that where most politicians go for training?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Is that where most politicians go for training?[/QUOTE]

It was the conker tree we use to go to for ours. It was lot less scary when the bigger kids were around, they used to throw the largersticks higher up the tree and if you were to nick one of the conkers that fell then you'd risk a clip.

Abjat-sur-Bandiat was where the biggest conkers tournament was held in France. The Entente Cordiale (pub anglaise traditionnel) bar was owned by an english man and he introduced it I think. It was certainly good for his business. The tournament weekend was a Grande Fête with plenty of stalls to eat and drink as well as to buy your fromage et saucisson and french bric a brac. We lived about 20kms away for some years and always used to go if the weather was good enough. We only had sweet chestnut trees in our garden and used to bring bags full back for the family at Christmas and mistletoe from our apple trees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12