+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 down, 30 to go, next up Morton at home

A clean sheet would be great but not totally necessary (preferred of course) as long as we score more than the other team. Can't quite understand some of the posts "needs a rest, back from rest" We are only 6 games in FFS........... if we have players already needing "rests" we have a fitness problem ! The part time teams don't look to me like they need too much of a rest,and aren't complaining about it either. It keeps getting mentioned about our fantastic training facilities , seems like we might be over indulging in them then if players are tired already :/

I actually think our fitness has looked better this season, we have always been the team looking fitter at the end in the games I've seen

Read somewhere else that McMullan had maybe been ill hence he didn't start and only in the bench v Arbroath,did wonder about that as Neilson defo likes him as he has played more than anyone since he arrived

Cleansheets are nice, only one so far as yousay, not great so hopefully improve on it in the coming games once we are more settled at the back

I agree our fitness has generally improved this season and we do look like we are easily lasting the 90 minutes. Think there is a difference between lacking fitness and needing a rest though.
    McMullan, in my view, does need a regular rest. He performs better when kept fresh and has done throughout his time with us. I wonder also whether Stanton falls into this category too. Appere has already played more games this season than he has in his whole career. He needs his game time managed and I do think he needs a rest if possible as we are expecting a lot from him. Pawlett is slightly different. He missed a good bit of pre season, is further behind the others in fitness and dont think he is as naturally as fit as many others. Again, think he needs rest.
    Dont think it is necessarily all fitness or relating to our training facilities. More about keeping a freshness throughout the squad and managing that for the full campaign. We have enough depth, why not use it?

I do have a slight concern about our training though. Connolly and Clark (I think) both with hamstring issues this early in the season. Could simply be coincidence/bad luck but need to make sure we aren't pushing fitness too hard in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I agree our fitness has generally improved this season and we do look like we are easily lasting the 90 minutes. Think there is a difference between lacking fitness and needing a rest though.
    McMullan, in my view, does need a regular rest. He performs better when kept fresh and has done throughout his time with us. I wonder also whether Stanton falls into this category too. Appere has already played more games this season than he has in his whole career. He needs his game time managed and I do think he needs a rest if possible as we are expecting a lot from him. Pawlett is slightly different. He missed a good bit of pre season, is further behind the others in fitness and dont think he is as naturally as fit as many others. Again, think he needs rest.
    Dont think it is necessarily all fitness or relating to our training facilities. More about keeping a freshness throughout the squad and managing that for the full campaign. We have enough depth, why not use it?

I do have a slight concern about our training though. Connolly and Clark (I think) both with hamstring issues this early in the season. Could simply be coincidence/bad luck but need to make sure we aren't pushing fitness too hard in training.
    I hear what you are saying but, should we be needing to freshen up the team at this early stage? Using depth of squad and rotational playing may be good at some point but this can also unsettle a winning team and annoy players who don't think they need a rest and would prefer to play every week. I know there is no perfect format but still think it's too early in the season to start trying this. (do agree on Appere ) not so sure he would agree though.

Yeah. This is the catch 22. Is rotating/resting an unnecessary risk? In general I like the idea that guys get playing time early in the season rather than being parachuted in later in season to cover injury. Undoubtedly an element of risk as you suggest though.

Nice to have the options this year with a squad that has enough depth. Overall glad it is Robbie's problem to make these tough calls. I'll happily stick to the pies, the bovril and the supporting whoever turns out!

Hopkin will be well aware if he takes the McPoke option they are getting hammered,unfortunately he is a decent manager and will take a leaf out of the Dick Campbell book and come for a point.I will settle right now for a scrappy 1-0 win,we really should be thrashing teams like Arbroath and East Fife but we are not very good at breaking teams down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Clark is injured, that's why he missed Saturday, suspect he will miss this weekend too. Would love to see a 433 at the weekend. In my opinion, we haven't played 442 at all this year, has always been 4231. Would like a front 3 of Shankland McMullan and Appere. Would be good to give them a lot to think about as will set up to be tough to break down. Stanton, Harkes and Butcher in midfield for me. Pawlett needs a rest. Shame Clark is out, as think Appere could also do with a rest. McMullan will be better for his rest last week. I think we shouldn't be afraid to use the squad. Might also be a chance to give King game time. Good to get Banks and Chalmers game time if at all possible.

Fancy us for this one. Should have got a boost by the outcome on Saturday
    Are we dealing with 15 year olds here?
    Play the best 11 every week.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Hopkin will be well aware if he takes the McPoke option they are getting hammered,unfortunately he is a decent manager and will take a leaf out of the Dick Campbell book and come for a point.I will settle right now for a scrappy 1-0 win,we really should be thrashing teams like Arbroath and East Fife but we are not very good at breaking teams down.

Hmm don't know about that, why should we be? Arbroath are no mugs, when are these teams being thrashed? East fife joint top of the league below us (where good Ayr, Livi and Arbroath sides have come up from and excelled), should be beating them most times of course majority of the time

We should have thrashed Dunfermline away right enough, 2-0 going on 5 (missed pen by Shankland and a couple very good chances for Clark and Pawlett)

I did read that Morton made some signings late in abs their defense has improved on the one leaking goals but can't see them being able to sit in abs not conceded a couple, but yea I'd take ugly scrappy wins all season of need be (but that won't be the case, will be a mixed bag like we have seen so far with hopefully us continuing to win the majority)

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Are we dealing with 15 year olds here?
    Play the best 11 every week.
    Absolutely Stoke.

Keep it simple.

Indeed, simplicity and probably the rules of football say. Play your best 11 every week. If someone drops below excellence then hook him or drop him next week.

Call it rotation, rest, compassion, hooked or whatever, but line up with best 11.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)