+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dunne out for months

Dunne out for months

Charles Dunne has had groin surgery and he'll be out for 3 or 4 months. The official site details are -

Charles Dunne will spend three to four months out as he recovers from a groin injury.

The defender underwent surgery this week, after scans showed the need to go under the knife.

“Losing Charles again for a prolonged period of time is a blow,” said manager Stephen Robinson.

“He has shown how influential a figure he is for us in the centre of defence and in the dressing room.

“With young David Devine also out for six weeks, it highlights the importance of bringing in Bevis Mugabi to keep the competition high for places.

“We wish Charles a full and speedy recovery.”

Charles has made 77 appearances for the club since joining in the summer of 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    Charles Dunne has had groin surgery and he'll be out for 3 or 4 months. The official site details are -

Charles Dunne will spend three to four months out as he recovers from a groin injury.

The defender underwent surgery this week, after scans showed the need to go under the knife.

“Losing Charles again for a prolonged period of time is a blow,” said manager Stephen Robinson.

“He has shown how influential a figure he is for us in the centre of defence and in the dressing room.

“With young David Devine also out for six weeks, it highlights the importance of bringing in Bevis Mugabi to keep the competition high for places.

“We wish Charles a full and speedy recovery.”

Charles has made 77 appearances for the club since joining in the summer of 2017.
    Based on this year's appearances (and end of last season) ... not a great loss IMO. Time for big Rab to step in and show what he's got.

I think it's fair to say that Dunne's ideal position for us is in a back three. Even playing well - which he did at first - in a four there was always the feeling a disaster was never far away. And he can have no complaints at losing his spot to Hartley now.

On the other hand, had we not signed Mugabi we'd be putting a lot of faith in Hartley's knee for a long while with him out so long. And Gallagher will no doubt get a ban sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I think it's fair to say that Dunne's ideal position for us is in a back three. Even playing well - which he did at first - in a four there was always the feeling a disaster was never far away. And he can have no complaints at losing his spot to Hartley now.
    I'm not sure Hartley is the answer either. He had a poor game last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    Broadly agree about Charles, with the one proviso that in some situations his pace could be important.

Hartley appears not match fit and over weight and for obvious reason .. not playing majority last season and retained as cover.
    However, IMO he's still best partner for Gallacher in central defence plus a goal threat set pieces.
    Dunne .. he will be missed as at our level, he performed well with a consistency.

Agreed some of the criticism aimed at Dunne has been a bit harsh at times.....yes he has made mistakes but no more that others. Admittedly his mistakes have sometimes led to opposition goals at crutial times in the game. Hope his loss is not significant.

And was excellent the two games before.

And if he's not the answer, the other options are chucking in Mugabi or Maguire.

Hartley IMO plays with his heart on his sleeve for the team and the more game time he gets the fitter he will become. His partnership with Gallagher will only benefit the team. Both potential goal threats from set pieces

If Gallagher / Hartley remain fit, and relatively 'suspension-free' I've a feeling they could be a right good combo. Hartley indeed has his failings, but I like the fact when he plays there's a sense of 'organisation' when you hear him bawling instructions to all unsundry. Was a bit perplexed all the same as he walked off at HT last week shouting 'get me a fekkin pie before the kiosk shuts' ...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)