+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

What do you want Derby to do?

If the players are found guilty in due course, the courts will decide what the criminal penalty will be. Do you want them to lose their livelihoods too?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

If the players are found guilty in due course, the courts will decide what the criminal penalty will be. Do you want them to lose their livelihoods too?
    I actually agree with this. I’d rather be sat at home suspended on full pay than away at Barnsley on a Wednesday night.

I don’t buy into this role model bullsh1t for one minute. Footballers and rock stars were no angels when I was a kid in the 70/80s. Didn’t give me an excuse to behave that way.

As Shaun Ryder says “ role model, bring your own fecking kids up. If I wanna take drugs I will.”

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

In many cases if there is an allegation in the workplace the individual is placed on gardening leave until the outcome is decided.
    As we know football is different and as people have said higher up the thread it doesn,t send out a good message to either the players, their fans or the general public.

If they are found innocent they will still have been paid and will still have their careers

Innocent people could have been killed including children but Derby,s action don,t seem to take it very seriously
    Last edited by flourbasher; 03-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.

People tend to be suspended when the allegations against them have a direct bearing upon their work e.g. a police officer facing a dihonesty allegation or a teacher accused of a ***ual offence. That doesn't apply here. 'Young lad drinking too much and driving like a knob' (allegedly) is hardly unusual and not inconsistent with holding down a job as a footballer.

Innocent people (children and adults) can be killed whenever people drink and drive, but I don't think many employers would suspend staff members whist they were pending trial (unless, in some cases, they drive as part of their work).

If you think kids don’t look up to players then you don’t know kids

The club have drink awareness sponsors, one of these players is reported to have been on their course the day before.

An example should be made, it’s clearly obvious what they did and should be suspended pending the court hearing imo

But what do you want to happen to them when the court cases are finished and they have completed any sentence imposed upon them?

If Derby were to keep them on they would have had a break on full pay. If Derby were to sack them (assuming that is a possibility under the terms of their contracts) they would have no difficulty finding a new club (as demonstrated by Lee Hughes).

Last edited by flourbasher; 03-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Indeed but last night comes across as the Derby Manager thinking he,s got a better chance of winning a football match with those two playing so he picked them.
    Clubs regularly endorse hot topics like kick racism out and don,t drink and drive and then Derby choose to do that.
    Talk is cheap.

Players like Lee Hughes and Ched Evans ended up a long way down the football pyramid after their custodial sentences and therefore their earning powers were vastly diminished

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Indeed but last night comes across as the Derby Manager thinking he,s got a better chance of winning a football match with those two playing so he picked them.
    That's literally his job.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Clubs regularly endorse hot topics like kick racism out and don,t drink and drive and then Derby choose to do that.
    Talk is cheap.

Players like Lee Hughes and Ched Evans ended up a long way down the football pyramid after their custodial sentences and therefore their earning powers were vastly diminished
    If these lads are convicted of drink driving only, the maximum sentence is six months which means three to actually serve (and nobody gets the maximum). If their lawyers get their timing right and they are sentenced in May, they might not miss a competitive game. And, of course, they may well not get a custodial sentence. In other words, it's unlikely that any sentence will drive them down the pyramid.

Ched Evans recently got a £800 000+ payout from his original legal team.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast