+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Many don’t agree with that opinion and I respect that.

It’s more the assumption that anyone that holds the opposite opinion to you doesn’t understand children which is wide of the mark.

Arguing isn’t my style but I understand what you’re saying.
    Yes that was stupid of me, I take it back

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Lots of things could affect a players ability after a stint in prison such as harassment from inmates, confidence, lack of fitness facilities in prison, match sharpness issues, potential legal challenges from Richard Keogh, harassment from fans and public.

You actually mentioned Lee Hughes before me and he was never the same player again.
    I agree that some clubs would offer them a contract but whether a prison sentence would allow them to pick up where they left off isnt as simple as you
    make out for the reasons ive listed

The £800 k for Evans that you cite will be small beer in terms of what he went through and his lost earnings / endorsements
    There is a world of difference between the time served by Hughes and Evans and that which can be served by drink drivers. There is also a world of difference between the type of prison too.

Depending on the alcohol level in the case, many drink drivers are dealt with by a fine

Pretty harsh on Evans given that he was ultimately cleared don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    People tend to be suspended when the allegations against them have a direct bearing upon their work e.g. a police officer facing a dihonesty allegation or a teacher accused of a ***ual offence. That doesn't apply here. 'Young lad drinking too much and driving like a knob' (allegedly) is hardly unusual and not inconsistent with holding down a job as a footballer.

Innocent people (children and adults) can be killed whenever people drink and drive, but I don't think many employers would suspend staff members whist they were pending trial (unless, in some cases, they drive as part of their work).
    Where do you draw the line, drink driving = bad but not too bad? The NFL here have a strict Domestic Violence policy and I assume the players union are bought into it because one iota of an issue and the players are suspended and teams are free to get rid. You would have thought that the EFL/PFA would have a similar code of conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    When was that?
    Im taking the piss but half serious. There are 2 points.

First, there wasnt this outcry when Tony Adams did it. And could probably find a list of footballers done for DD in the 70s and 80s without this sort of backlash. Something has changed.

Second, it was a club event. The club invited the players along as a bonding exercise and part of that was to have a drink. Given it was their idea Id expect the club to support those players.

There is a world of difference between the time served by Hughes and Evans and that which can be served by drink drivers. There is also a world of difference between the type of prison too.

Depending on the alcohol level in the case, many drink drivers are dealt with by a fine

Pretty harsh on Evans given that he was ultimately cleared don't you think?
    Is there a world of difference?
    I would imagine even relatively short custodial sentences can have a profound mental and physical impact on some people for the reasons i mentioned earlier. Aren,t those some of the reasons for sending someone to prison

They may not get a prison sentence of course as you say and they may not be found guilty of anything.

If i were Ched Evans id be wanting ten times what he got from his original legal advisors. 800k is roughly about one years salary when he was in his prime
    Last edited by flourbasher; 03-10-2019 at 07:02 PM.

?

I still don't get what is said to be the purpose of suspending them. On the face of it, the club acted responsibly by laying on transport for the players. Why should they now be required to pay employees for not working?
    The club laid on transport and these two morons refused it? Surely this gives the club a reason to suspend them without pay if thev've got the integrity to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The Derby fans sang Lawrence's name for large periods of last nights game and Keogh's too and when Mason Bennett came on in the second half they gave him a heroes welcome .

I can't say I would be so supportive of the fun boy three if I were a Derby fan but that's up to them .

The way I see it these three are paid exceptional money by Derby County and it isn't ask for much during the season that they keep off the beer .

I feel like having a good drink on a sunday but I've work the next day and I have to drive not to mention H&S in the workplace so I don't .
    So now we have the players being applauded and encouraged for what they did.
    Big applause to DCFC for managing this situation so badly

It wouldn't surprise me if these dimwit footballers got off the bus after the Barnsley match and did exactly the samer thing in their new hire cars. After all everyone at Derby seems to be patting them on the back.
    Hope they didn't injure or kill any innocent children this time

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    So now we have the players being applauded and encouraged for what they did.
    Big applause to DCFC for managing this situation so badly

It wouldn't surprise me if these dimwit footballers got off the bus after the Barnsley match and did exactly the samer thing in their new hire cars. After all everyone at Derby seems to be patting them on the back.
    Hope they didn't injure or kill any innocent children this time
    It's the nature of football supporters, Flour.

When Tom Pope joined Rotherham, we had posts on here explaining how he was not guilty of the affray that he had pleaded guilty to. Notts County supporters couldn't speak highly enough of Lee Hughes, as I recall.

Ben Stokes is a national hero.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast