+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's all a bit embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - on the Gallagher point, I just feel he doesn't yet spot the best space to run into, in the way Graham does. Two or three times, Downing looked up, obviously wanting to try a through-ball, but ended up passing short because nobody had made the right run. I thought Gallagher headed for the near-post too often, instead of varying it. As for Dack, we just have to accept that he has these days when he looks a bit clueless about losing his marker.
    I try to be generous about Armstrong, because he has some brilliant moments, but when did he ever look good for a whole 90 minutes? (Actually, I'd be happy with 60 or 70!)
    We looked full of confidence in the opening spell, but it seemed to evaporate after they scored.
    Being a football supporter is frustrating at times. I shouldn't be surprised, and I shouldn't let it get to me, but I must admit I was pretty certain we'd win that one. I'm old enough to know better!
    Bloody frustrating. We both fully expected is to roll them over with relative ease with the form we'd been in. And first 15 mins felt like it was going to click nicely into place. But what do we remind ourselves every week Aucks? This league throws up surprises every round of matches. And sides rarely lose 5 in a row. I do feel they where there for the taking on Sat. Had we got a goal in the first 15 I do think we'd have won that game comfortably. They scored a very good first goal I felt. Sometimes you have to accept the oppo have done us and scored a good goal. The lad for them who caused us the most problems, beat Travis and put in a great cross. The lad did well to head it in with force.
    Gallagher had a poor game on Sat. And I do feel Graham made us look more dangerous when he came on. Which is why I think he will play vrs Forest. Dack will make a run, based on where he knows Graham will be, and have held it in to play him in. It works mainly due to the trust they both have in one another's ability. Dack doesn't know where to be when he plays with Gallagher. And both him, and Armstrong are too far apart. As is Dack. We just aren't making the most of who we have.
    I honestly feel we haven't seen the best of Brereton yet, because he's being asked to be something he isn't. A target man, or a winger. He is neither. And Gallagher is now being asked to be Danny Graham. Which he simply isn't. He is a big lad, good touch etc. We need to try find a system that suits players like him & Brereton, or they will ultimately fail here. Neither are Graham. Asking them to be as effective in that role, with the service they are provide, with the system behind them, isn't really fair.
    Throw Samuel in this mix aswell. What will happen with him is, he will get fit. And get his chance up front in that CF role. Where he will be expected to win, and hold the ball up effectively and play in Dack or Armstrong/Rothwell. And also weigh in with goals. He will struggle to do either, because he is being asked to be somebody he isn't. So he will then be shoved out onto either wing to come on for Armstrong or Gallgher. We need to find a more effective system for when Graham doesn't play. As it only really works with just him, and Dack needs to be on form.
    I do feel Holtby will have a positive impact on this side. We need someone who will try that tricky pass. It will not always work, but when it does it's worth the gambles.
    Another factor in why none of our strikers are getting any goals, is our something within our system. Our out ball in almost 8 out of every 10 attacks is either Bennett or Cunningham. And neither are putting any quality in at any point. They rarely beat the first defender, or it's too high and long. I really do feel Bennett would be way more effective than Johnson. I'm not a big fan of him, one paced, gives the ball away alot, doesn't create much. And doesn't offer enough defensive cover. I think Bennett needs to go in alongside Travis. I think he'd be a better influence on Travis aswell. I really want to see what Rankin Costello can do. Let's get him in and see how he performs. He must get a chance this lad. Johnson is good to have on the bench and coming on around the 65 min mark of games. I feel he would always do a better job of suring things up than Evans would, coming into a game as Sub.
    I think Rothwell, if feeling 100% again, will start on Tues aswell. I keep looking at that second goal of theirs on Sat and wondering if Tosin had been playing would Pearson had such an easy header. I was very disappointed in Lenihan on that one. He is normally very commanding but I did feel on Sat, as soon as they scored our defence looked a little unconfident.
    I'd get Tosin back in vrs Forest and play 3 at the back with wing backs.

Champs, I believe that having Dack as an almost certain selection is part of the problem. I'm not suggesting he should be dropped, but I agree with you that we have four or five others who would be best suited by his "secondary striker" role. As it is, they have to take turns in this "wide forward" spot that none of them look consistently comfortable in!
    I also agree that Dack looks better when Graham is playing. For one thing, he doesn't seem to drop deep so often.
    I have several times thought it might be worth trying 3-4-1-2, with Rothwell as the "1", behind Dack and Graham. With Rothwell having the free role, Dack could concentrate on what he does best.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs, I believe that having Dack as an almost certain selection is part of the problem. I'm not suggesting he should be dropped, but I agree with you that we have four or five others who would be best suited by his "secondary striker" role. As it is, they have to take turns in this "wide forward" spot that none of them look consistently comfortable in!
    I also agree that Dack looks better when Graham is playing. For one thing, he doesn't seem to drop deep so often.
    I have several times thought it might be worth trying 3-4-1-2, with Rothwell as the "1", behind Dack and Graham. With Rothwell having the free role, Dack could concentrate on what he does best.
    I think while Dack is at this club, 4 or 5 won't flourish. He is bringing in players who do have potential, but we aren't getting much out of them. I agree, get Dack further up front. Holtby can unlock teams, Rothwell also has that in his locker. With Dack being so tightly marked, someone somewhere is in a tonne of space. And we aren't capatalising. It will be interesting to see what side he is going to play tonight, and what formation. He always throws a fee surprises in. Wonder what tonight's will be? Can't see us losing 2 in a row.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)