+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attendance

For the 15,000 against Cambridge last season, they brought about 2,000, I think. Disappointing not to get 10k yesterday, but I’m sure we had offers under the Trews where we didn’t get close to 9,000 so overall it’s still pretty decent. We can definitely get over 11,000 toward the end of the season if we’re challenging for promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    We were 2nd in League 4 and favourites for promotion at the time of the Crewe game, who as optipez says brought a couple of thousand or so with them.

Before yesterdays game we were a mid-table League 5 team who'd won 2 out of our previous 6 home games this season.

Maybe it would have been nice to beat the League 5 attendance record but in the overall scheme of things is of little consequence.
    Surely if anything we were a mid table League 3 team? Or a 5th division side. We can’t be described as League 5 side when in the conference it’s the division/league that sits directly below League 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Surely if anything we were a mid table League 3 team? Or a 5th division side. We can’t be described as League 5 side when in the conference it’s the division/league that sits directly below League 2.
    The 2nd most stupid thing the FL ever did was renumbering the divisions in 1991. *The* most stupid thing they ever did was re-numbering them yet again in 2004. What has it achieved other than causing lasting confusion for ever more? Does anybody in the 3rd tier feel as though they're in a healthier position than they actually are because it's called "League One"? It really gets my goat.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The 2nd most stupid thing the FL ever did was renumbering the divisions in 1991. *The* most stupid thing they ever did was re-numbering them yet again in 2004. What has it achieved other than causing lasting confusion for ever more? Does anybody in the 3rd tier feel as though they're in a healthier position than they actually are because it's called "League One"? It really gets my goat.
    15 years mate,maybe its time to let it go

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I know we’re still in the ‘new owners can’t do anything wrong’ phase of Notts ownership, but I didn’t think the offer yesterday was marketed as well as previous discounts.

Bit disappointing not to crack 10,000.
    Yes I didn't think it was promoted as much as previous offers. Perhaps it's impressionistic but I just didn't hear the same 'noise' as when we did the "Two for Crewe" promotion and it was seen and heard everywhere. I thought this was more low-key.

A mate of mine said it was "all over Facebook", but if that's the case it won't be seen by me. It's a perfectly good idea to use social media as one means of promoting something, but there's still no substitute for the old fashioned ways of promotion alongside it.

On the plus side, over 9000 fans will have gone home happy with the result, but I think we could have been hitting 12,000 at least if more people had known, despite the fact that we're not in a 'glamour' league.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    🙄

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Yes I didn't think it was promoted as much as previous offers. Perhaps it's impressionistic but I just didn't hear the same 'noise' as when we did the "Two for Crewe" promotion and it was seen and heard everywhere. I thought this was more low-key.
    Right, which would reflect the personalities of the owners. The Reedtz brothers can't be, or shouldn't try to be, anything other than who they are, but this demonstrates how you can't or rarely have it all. Hardy was a disaster in the end but, as much as most would now shirk to admit, there were positive sides to him and his ability to drum up support was quite exceptional.

Suggests being a non-league club rather than a 4th tier outfit makes all the difference to a very significant number of people, though maybe that's a too easy and lazy explanation.

It begs the question that for us to fill the ground for something other than an extremely important or obvious box office fixture, can the floating support only be galvanized by an ultra-enthusiastic (deluded) visionary figurehead on a road to Damascus?
    There are no doubt lots of factors. Through performances we've not capitalised on building on support and whilst it is an excellent crowd for non-league (Bournmouth only manage a few more) the opportunities to build on some of the figures we've had have squandered.

My understanding that the offer was a reward to those that had stayed loyal to the club through the thick and thin of the past few months and as such possibly it was right not to promote it the Hardy way.

And it must bring comfort to the owners to know there is still a level of support for the club assuming that tickets weren't being thrown around to reluctant schoolkids.

This.

Completely agree. I work in an environment where I am speaking to colleagues in overseas offices, or even when on holiday, and the number of times when football comes up and you have to say we are in division 2 but its really the fourth tier, and then have to try to explain why league 2 is actually league 4 is tiresome. I never understood the need for it in the first place and still don't now. I only hope eventually they rename the championship to Premier League 2, then a few years later the League 1, might be a candidate for Premier League 3, and then finally we may see league 2 becoming Premier League 4, and normal service (and common sense) would be restored !

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoots View Post
    This.

Completely agree. I work in an environment where I am speaking to colleagues in overseas offices, or even when on holiday, and the number of times when football comes up and you have to say we are in division 2 but its really the fourth tier, and then have to try to explain why league 2 is actually league 4 is tiresome. I never understood the need for it in the first place and still don't now. I only hope eventually they rename the championship to Premier League 2, then a few years later the League 1, might be a candidate for Premier League 3, and then finally we may see league 2 becoming Premier League 4, and normal service (and common sense) would be restored !
    Luckily we're not in L2 anymore and we can just call the National league the vauxhall conference

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast