+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summats Not Reyt

Summats Not Reyt

Av noticed a general trend on this Booard and on BBS of fans in the 50 plus age range looazin enthusiasm fo gooin to BFC games. Gooin darn to the Well ez been in my blood for 60 years since I first went aged 11 (now 71years old) and even I'm starting to looiz the buzz. Am off to Preston tomorra cos it's a decent drive fo me from Sowerby Bridge but a cuddant be arsed trailing darn to Oakwell last neet even though avva Season Ticket. Av been wondering what's causing this--

-- Game is often on Sky (Red Button)
    --my age
    --lack of faith in new owners
    --ticket prices /family finances
    --looizin teeam/fairweather fans
    --other things more appealing

What's not reyt or izzit just me ?
    Last edited by SBRed48; 04-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Naeow it's not just thee , av got same missen , it's mi 63rd season , not missed menny ooham games in that time , yit a dint gu Sundi or Weds , am losing interest to be honest , dunt seem same darn theer ennymoor , numba 2 an 3 on thi list maybe cause , particularly 3 , also it's a pain tu get in n art ov grarnd , Car park ez stewards on afoor game but norrafta , Why ? Nubdi darn theer ( in charge ) seem ta botha abart fans ( only wennit suits ) accun see a big drop in seerson pass sales if we gu darn ??? It's not same feeling abart goowin theer nar sadly , age ? Owners ? Orrits just me n thee Enjoy thi Preston arting , Luvvit theer , can tha do a happy Valley blog forrus awl ? Jeff n gang tommora fo me , evva safe journey ,
    Last edited by Romared; 04-10-2019 at 04:35 PM.

I think football has just changed in general over the last few years to what we grew up with. It’s just not what it was sadly, lost it’s connection with the fans, players don’t stick around longer than a couple of seasons so you never warm to them, same with managers. Stadiums are soulless and clinical everyone sat in rows not allowed to stand up or take a can of pop or anything else petty that they decide on. Daft kick off times , games on tv so if it’s poor weather it’s easy to stay at home. The list is endless

I have the utmost respect for Hecky and Daniel Stendel and its not a great watch for me personally to see them having to manage this club at this level with basically both hands tied behind their backs .

Hecky gave me two days at Wembley that were amongst the best in my life , I love Stendel's passion and his team last season were great on the eye and played a very attractive style of football .

Both HC's had a great platform to kick on and get a foothold at this level and were sold short because of this insane policy .

Good people in the technical area who both genuinely love the club and aren't listen to , that's a lack of respect for the job they do in my opinion .

John Dennis would have asked Daniel Stendel what he wanted and tried his best to deliver it , it may not have worked out but he supported his managers the best he could .

Patrick Cryne backed Simon Davey to the hilt to keep us in the championship and I ain't a great Cryne fan as you know but he did what he could .

There isn't any compromise with these people now , my way or highway .

I can see the frustration in Stendel compared to last season , he's less animated and lost his spark .

I personally find it very uncomfortable to witness and I'm beginning not to like the club and what it's becoming .

I think it starts when you get a head coach instead of a manager. For me it feels more corporate, not as personal.

As a side thought, I puzzles me how our owners met and decided to get a football club?

Is there a website where wealthy people with mutual interests can meet. Did they meet on a flight somewhere, start talking and say "lets buy a football club" Was it a bet like My fair lady (Pygmalion) where someone has to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse without spending money. One things for sure the fans don't come into it. Don't get me wrong, I like that the club is safe, but it could be so much more simply by listening to people that know what the team is crying out for, instead of the compurer says no arrogant attitude.

Despite the obvious drawbacks to 'the plan' we can never make a connection to the players because they're not around long enough.
    Gone are the days when players used to stick around for 4 or 5 seasons, let alone the Murphys, Winstanleys & McCarthys.
    If we go down we'll get another season out of most of them, if we defy the odds and stay up the best will be sold.
    This is one of the reasons crickets not the same. I can still name the great Yorkshire side of the 60's. It hardly changed for years. Now I look at the scorecard and I only recognise 4 or 5.
    Me and SB smelled a rat as soon as this lot took over, and they'll probably prove to be worse than we expected unless we shift them soon.
    Nobody knows what their true intentions are. A couple of million every now and then is nothing to them. What's the point.
    They've got enough money to make real push for promotion, but I don't even want them to do that. Just giving the manager a fair chance would do, but I'd still rather they just sold up.
    AS ES says football's changed, and not for the better.
    It's not just at Barnsley, look at Man Utd with all their money. We don't pay enough but paying them too much is even worse.
    Delli Ali was great when he first went to Spurs so they doubled his wages. He got better so they doubled them again, and again and now he's gone backwards like his mate Lingard. All flicks and fancy handshakes and goal celebrations. Not for me.
    Diving, cheating, play acting, running to the corner flag when they're a goal up. I don't remember any of that when I was a kid.

Some good points made about players not staying around long enough and the lack of a connection these days .

Under the present policy the 81/82 team wouldn't have happened , Macca , Banks , Aylott , Glav and Parker would have been sold and Ian Evans wouldn't even have been allowed to sign .

In 96/97 we wouldn't have seen Hendrie , Wilko and Thompson at the club either and Redders would have gone two or three years before that wonderful season , Watson , Eaden and Lidds would have been sold within a year of their debuts .

Those are two of the greatest teams who have ever run out at Oakwell and it couldn't happen today .

Quote Originally Posted by tiggertyke View Post
    I think it starts when you get a head coach instead of a manager. For me it feels more corporate, not as personal.

As a side thought, I puzzles me how our owners met and decided to get a football club?

Is there a website where wealthy people with mutual interests can meet. Did they meet on a flight somewhere, start talking and say "lets buy a football club" Was it a bet like My fair lady (Pygmalion) where someone has to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse without spending money. One things for sure the fans don't come into it. Don't get me wrong, I like that the club is safe, but it could be so much more simply by listening to people that know what the team is crying out for, instead of the compurer says no arrogant attitude.
    Look no further than the Sport Business Summit of 2 or 3 years ago where Patrick Cryne & Billy Beane shared a platform along with many others. Beane had connections in the sport world with many like minded people & I think that's where the idea was spawned
    James Cryne had long been a follower of Beane's Moneyball strategy & the rest is history
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 04-10-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Look no further than the Sport Business Summit of 2 or 3 years ago where Patrick Cryne & Billy Beane shared a platform along with many others. Beane had connections in the sport world with many like minded people & I think that's where the idea was spawned
    James Cryne had long been a follower of Beane's Moneyball strategy & the rest is history
    There's little dou

James Cryne and Beane are the ones no doubt about it .

Both have stakes in the club but very little accountability it seems .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast