+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch-off week.

Switch-off week.

No, not the telly-buttons when our highlights are on. Giving the players a rest every 6 weeks. Is there any evidence that it works? Don't we need the training time before the trip to Newport? Playing once a week must be exhausting. - External Link

Cambridge have been switched off mentally and physically for 25 years. All of this is nonsense, as a lad I played as much as three times a week. Rooney once said he could play a game, have ten minutes rest, then play another, I know what he meant. Not only was he physically able to do it again, but he wanted too mentally, because he loved playing.

Its the snowflake generation, these kids don't know what hardship is. Playing one game is hardly debilitating, its running about 5 miles, or six, in 90 minutes, plus the physicality, but then again, you get huge amounts of time to recuperate.

I am sure there is a culture of injury, even the slightest knock gets a fancy medical term which legitamises a slight knock. Cambridge players have been going down like flies for years. I don't think we ever field a full strength team,.....ever. In the old days injuries were rare, now half a team are out, constantly.

Rachel Knowles Boardman Kluppsohn. MEP DSO CDM VSM VC KKK.

This snowflake generation is really starting to piss me off tbh,you're not allowed to have a free thought anymore nevermind free speech,what ever happened to the free speech policy that this once free and proud country valued and promoted?

One of our squad b­uggered off to Spain for 5 days. He had all of May to July to do that - so he needs another holiday now? I know what you mean Frank. As a spectator maybe it’s ME that needs a break from the s­hite that’s being served up on the pitch.

Good lord. Im thinking of turning off sky sports, I hardly watch the football anymore. When I was ten, and trainspotting, yes you can laugh, popsy used to say that if you've seen one you've seen them all. That applies to football now.

It bores me now. Past caring. Losing and hoping vainly for something entertaining is like trying to spot a UFO. There is no respite from cow dung. 25 years of appalling rubbish. Enough is enough. Your player is taking the pss. Cant stop being a fan though....on the radio.

I got rid of Sky years ago and rarely miss it. I record Match of the Day but rarely go on to watch it because the premier League has no appeal to me, and little to do with the average football supporter. That’s why I don’t have PL games in the Predictocomp. I still have my season ticket at Carlisle and go to most games because I feel more able to criticise what’s wrong at the Club if I see it with my own eyes.

Get rid of Sky, Frank, and get a Freesat box. How much live telly do you watch anyway? I rarely watch any now. If I like the look of a programme I’ll record it and watch at my leisure, skipping through any adverts. I pay for Amazon Prime and piggyback my son’s Netflix so there’s always something to pass the time. I rarely miss the sport and welcome the relief on my bank-balance. Try it Frank.

Incidentally, I still go down to the railway bridge in the valley below my house to watch the steam trains go by, about half a dozen times each year. wonderful stuff.

I cant get rid of sky completely, madam watches bluebloods, that cop programme. I like the documentaries, but they produce them for five year olds, with fast rock music, pictures that change in a fraction of a second, which I find abhorrent as im half blind. If you ask yourself what you have learned afterwards, the answer is not a lot.

Im going to see what sort of contract ive got, I cant just get shot of the sports, it has to be two packages,, they like there butter on both sides. Im still keen on the older trains, steamers are wonderful.

I got rid of Sky but ended up getting it again about six months later as I missed Soccer Saturday and documentaries and like Griff I record most stuff and then just skip the adverts,I wonder if the advertising world has been hit by people doing this,what s the point in paying hundreds of thousands for tv time if it's whizzing past at X30

Can't be many like me who have never had Sky or BT.

For a modest investment this summer I receive for a year:

All international cricket
    All top flight games in the UK
    All top flight games in Italy
    All European Cup Games
    All UEFA Cup Games
    Most MLS games - and delayed showings of the ones which aren't live
    Selected League Cup Games
    Selected games from the Championship

Plus every single NFL game if I cared.

And if I don't have time to watch live - I can catch the highlights.

All for roughly 6 pounds a month. Why wouldn't you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)