+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bernado Silva charged by FA over Mendy tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    Surely it can only be deemed offensive if the person it was sent to deems it offensive raging? In this case the person it was sent to has said he didn't deem it offensive, so if the powers that be see a tweet or something on social media that they might deem racist, or evenue just offensive, shouldn't they contact the person it was sent to first and foremost?.
    I tend to agree Ronners. I personally see no offence intended or taken on this. But the dilemma with any authorities, be it football or any other employer, is how you draw the line as, as I've said, it could be closely followed by an exact same tweet, but not meant in jest, and to actually offend. No one on here would want this, and I'm sure we'd want an employer/authority to be able to defend a colleague from genuine racial attacks. So what I was getting at is that an offender, if the offended makes a complaint to their employer/authority, can point to the fact that the employer took no action on an exact same prior offence.

Of course, importantly, in most cases, such a tweet would only be seen by the recipient who would have a good laugh and no harm done. In this case it is seen by the recipient and a huge public following so puts the authorities in tricky position.

I'm not defending the decision to take it further. I can see that no offense was intended. But just pointing out that it can be complicated is all

Think I'll post this on each of the weekly 'World's Gone Mad' threads

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20181123179769

My old PC pal at the Mail on Sunday, Oliver Holt, had a pop at John Barnes for supporting Silva in his column.

Wonder why he didn't mention that Sterling has also supported Silva?

Could it be because he has previously praised him to high heaven for his anti-racist activism?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I tend to agree Ronners. I personally see no offence intended or taken on this. But the dilemma with any authorities, be it football or any other employer, is how you draw the line as, as I've said, it could be closely followed by an exact same tweet, but not meant in jest, and to actually offend. No one on here would want this, and I'm sure we'd want an employer/authority to be able to defend a colleague from genuine racial attacks. So what I was getting at is that an offender, if the offended makes a complaint to their employer/authority, can point to the fact that the employer took no action on an exact same prior offence.

Of course, importantly, in most cases, such a tweet would only be seen by the recipient who would have a good laugh and no harm done. In this case it is seen by the recipient and a huge public following so puts the authorities in tricky position.

I'm not defending the decision to take it further. I can see that no offense was intended. But just pointing out that it can be complicated is all
    It certainly can be complicated raging, and I do suppose if certain tweets are sent to people who are a little reserved, then we also get to the point of bullying, but that's another matter.
    We could go round in circles debating this.

I guess that's a 50K joke then?

There are a lot of things that the FA need to sort out in the game and 'inappropriate' comments between friends shouldn't be anywhere near top of their list. Should also be a lesson to people to keep their private lives private.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50404855

Farce of the highest order.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123