+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: What Will The Outcome Be?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Besiktas v Wolves Europa League - Group K Matchday Thread

What a time for Boly to score, 0-1 Wolves, even our forwards would have been proud of that! Excellent win!

Great result. You could really hear the Wolves supporters.

3 points. Looks like Braga and Slovan had drawn, so that'd put each of them at four points, us at 3 points and Besiktas at 0. Best case scenario for us tonight

Just got in. Great result! I predicted Boly as the scorer and a win [2-0] for us so that may put me on top of the prediction league.

Not that I'm bothered like.

Well done Mi Babbies!!!

Although I'm delighted with the result I was disappointed with the way in which we managed to win. In the first half I thought our performance was very ordinary. A lot of the passing was second-rate and a lack of urgency in the way we were playing left me with the impression we'd be happy to come away with a draw. After the break there was some improvement but not until the inclusion of Traore and Cutrone later in the game did I think we could actually win. The normally reliable, Moutinho, did not play with his usual assurance and at one stage almost handed a winning opportunity to the Turkish side. Let's all be grateful for the win, but, if we are really serious about this competition, I think we need to work a lot harder than we did yesterday.
    Last edited by GrizzledWolf; 04-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzledWolf View Post
    Although I'm delighted with the result I was disappointed with the way in which we managed to win. In the first half I thought our performance was very ordinary. A lot of the passing was second-rate and a lack of urgency in the way we were playing left me with the impression we'd be happy to come away with a draw. After the break there was some improvement but not until the inclusion of Traore and Cutrone later in the game did I think we could actually win. The normally reliable, Moutinho, did not play with his usual assurance and at one stage almost handed a winning opportunity to the Turkish side. Let's all be grateful for the win, but, if we are really serious about this competition, I think we need to work a lot harder than we did yesterday.

As one person said on another forum -

"An absolute tactical masterclass from Nuno."

I totally agree with him and fully expected the sort of match we saw. Hence my prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    As one person said on another forum -

"An absolute tactical masterclass from Nuno."

I totally agree with him and fully expected the sort of match we saw. Hence my prediction.
    Wokes, if, as you suggest, last night's performance by Wolves was ' an absolute tactical masterclass from Nuno' then we can only assume the criminal waste of scoring opportunities by Besiktas had been brilliantly anticipated by Nuno and factored into his game plan. Sorry, mate, but our victory had more than it's share of luck. Furthermore, might I suggest the Wolves of last season would have seen-off Besiktas with far less difficulty.

What scoring opportunities were those Grizz? For most of the game Rui could have been sat in a deck chair. The only luck that I saw was the ball coming off Coady and on to the post. Besiktas spent a lot of time trying to set up scoring opportunities only to be thwarted by excellent covering by our defenders. I do agree that the Wolves of last season would have seen off Besiktas with far less difficulty. They would also have beaten Braga!

Wokes...isn't it wonderful that you and I can watch the same game and yet have such diverse opinions. As match plans go, I don't believe this was one of Nuno's best. Alright, I know we won in the end and I am as pleased about the result as you are, but feel that you and I must agree to differ about this one. Firstly, I would remind you that in the first half of this game we (Wolves) made zero shots on target and zero attempts otherwise, zero corners (our first occurred in the 61st minute) and zero offsides. I know that statistics are often misleading, however, in this instance they support my opinion that if this was Nuno at his tactical best then I'd much prefer the collossus that steered us to prominence during the past two seasons. When I referred to Besiktas' criminal 'waste of opportunities' I was was not implying they frittered away gilt-edged chances to score, but rather their inability to take advantage of the numerous chances provided by Lens (on the right wing) who had the better of Jonny for most of the game. Lens, consistently managed to get round Jonny and provide crosses into the centre where, unfortunately (for Besiktas), his team-mates were rarely in a position to take advantage of his endeavour. As you say, much credit must go to a Wolves defence who played well, but faced with a more creative and determined opposition the outcome could so easily have been different. On another day Besiktas may well have been 2-0 up at the break and we would have been playing catch-up. Sometimes, circumstances may call for a defensive approach to a game, but if it means purposely withholding any serious intention of attacking the opposition goal then, surely, we may just as well not bother at all.
    During the last ten minutes of this game, a desperate Wolves made more attempts on the opposition goal than they had done so during the previous 80 minutes. In the absence of a more aggressive approach I believe our victory in this match was largely due to an element of good fortune. Of course, you may regard it as an example of Nuno's tactical brilliance, but frankly, I much prefer the man who, last season, created for Wolves an ability to counter-attack that was the envy of most teams in the 'Prem'. Such an approach was absent against Besiktas.

A mighty post Grizz!! To be honest it reflects a lot of the feelings I have watching the Wolves play. In all honesty it bores my tit$ off a lot of the time. Always glad when we win of course but I don't think I could turn up week in and week out, home and away to watch it. Of course well done to those that do we wouldn't be the club we are without them. Also there is something wrong/missing so far this season don't know what it is but that spark and bit of swagger just doesn't seem to be there. Until we recover it we will continue to struggle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)