+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Leo Varadkar.

I hope you are right Mickd. I do think It the only realistic solution but I still can’t see that it will even be big issue for most of NI, except perhaps the staunchest loyalists. As you say the majority in NI voted to stay in the EU anyway.

There has to be compromise but the big problem is getting most of the opposition party politicians to agree to any deal.

If both Irish parties the EU and the government all agree and is blown out by the Labour /Liberal luvvies then they will have shown their true colours in not wanting brexit full stop. That will turn most voters against them in the next general election. The general public won’t forgive them for passing up a brexit deal which everybody is crying out for so we can get this brexit out of the way.

If Boris and the EU agree a deal and Parliament turns it down surely he can turn around and say ' I said that I'd get a deal and I have done. I'm therefore not going to ask for an extension because I've got a deal. You're the ones who are blocking it so because of that you've forced us to leave on the 31st October with no deal!' Is that too simplistic?

The UK is moving closer to the objectives of the original Northern Ireland-only backstop, RTE News understands.
    It's also understood that the EU now believes London is prepared to accept a simple majority that would register consent for Northern Ireland to opt out of the new arrangements enshrined in a revised Withdrawal Agreement.

It’s unclear if this would be a majority vote via the Stormont Assembly or even through a referendum.

The original backstop commits the UK and EU to protecting the all-Ireland economy, avoiding a hard border and related checks and controls, preserving North-South cooperation, and protecting the EU’s single market.
    It foresaw Northern Ireland remaining part of the EU’s customs union if another solution to avoiding a hard border could not be found.
    An interesting weekend ahead.....

Quote Originally Posted by jcbALBION View Post
    Today with very sad news that the DON of the Hammersmith mafia past away this morning......Ian riddell or ginger to friends....my heart is broken that this man has passed....Ian was the nicest person you would ever meet and I’m crying my eyes out writing this so sad....the Hammersmith mafia was given the us by Baggieboygeoff..I think it was a spelling mistake it should of been hammerwich....that name has stuck with the group for years.....Ian the DON a season ticket holder down the baggies for many a years ,seen the good the bad and the ugly,But I would like to say in reality loved Every moment....anyone who maybe knew THE DON please pass on ..ie The guys off the barge trips which are brilliant and the guys where used to sit.....sorry for all the spelling mistakes and all .....Craig (hearts broken )
    So sorry to hear this news R.I.P Ian

The DUP has poured cold water over a reported Brexit compromise to end the deadlock over the backstop.
    Deputy leader Nigel Dodds warned the mooted plan - reportedly being discussed by EU and UK officials in Brussels - "cannot work".

However Mr Dodds - whose party's votes will almost certainly be needed to get a Brexit deal through parliament - told the Italian La Repubblica newspaper that Northern Ireland "must stay in a full UK customs union, full stop".
    "It cannot work because Northern Ireland has to remain fully part of the UK customs union," he said.

He added: "There is a lot of stuff coming from Brussels, pushed by the Europeans in the last hours, but one thing is sure: Northern Ireland must remain fully part of the UK customs union. And Boris Johnson knows it very well."

Meanwhile, DUP leader Arlene Foster warned they would only back measures that were in the "long-term economic and constitutional interests " of Northern Ireland.

Ms Foster said: "In order to secure a sensible deal for everyone it is important that the European Union understand that to maximise the prospects of agreement there will need to be a clear acceptance that the economic and constitutional integrity of the whole of the United Kingdom will have to be respected as we leave.

"As a consequence of the mandate given to us by voters in 2017 (general election) the DUP is very relevant in the parliamentary arithmetic and regardless of the ups and downs of the Brexit discussions that has not changed."

I expect that the general silence since Thursday is beginning to unnerve some.....have a better idea by this time tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    The DUP has poured cold water over a reported Brexit compromise to end the deadlock over the backstop.
    Deputy leader Nigel Dodds warned the mooted plan - reportedly being discussed by EU and UK officials in Brussels - "cannot work".

However Mr Dodds - whose party's votes will almost certainly be needed to get a Brexit deal through parliament - told the Italian La Repubblica newspaper that Northern Ireland "must stay in a full UK customs union, full stop".
    "It cannot work because Northern Ireland has to remain fully part of the UK customs union," he said.

He added: "There is a lot of stuff coming from Brussels, pushed by the Europeans in the last hours, but one thing is sure: Northern Ireland must remain fully part of the UK customs union. And Boris Johnson knows it very well."

Meanwhile, DUP leader Arlene Foster warned they would only back measures that were in the "long-term economic and constitutional interests " of Northern Ireland.

Ms Foster said: "In order to secure a sensible deal for everyone it is important that the European Union understand that to maximise the prospects of agreement there will need to be a clear acceptance that the economic and constitutional integrity of the whole of the United Kingdom will have to be respected as we leave.

"As a consequence of the mandate given to us by voters in 2017 (general election) the DUP is very relevant in the parliamentary arithmetic and regardless of the ups and downs of the Brexit discussions that has not changed."

I expect that the general silence since Thursday is beginning to unnerve some.....have a better idea by this time tomorrow....
    They can cry all they want Dubs.

They are going under the bus!!

I think the Tory rebels and enough Labour MP’s will vote in favour to nullify the DUP.

I’m sick to death of “Helmet Hair” and her bunch of Nomarks.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    They can cry all they want Dubs.

They are going under the bus!!

I think the Tory rebels and enough Labour MP’s will vote in favour to nullify the DUP.

I’m sick to death of “Helmet Hair” and her bunch of Nomarks.

Bored of hearing about N Ireland and how many would give a f uck if they went under a bus! Make it a double decker 😂

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    123 - let’s hope under a different alias we don’t receive page after page of pro EU s hite!
    So that's your strategy - disagree with someone and blame it on me.

Baggielad is completely right...look at the evidence - instead of The Daily Mail..

All outstanding issues in the Brexit negotiations have been resolved with the exception of how VAT will be treated in Northern Ireland, RTÉ News understands.
    After a turbulent day of negotiations in Brussels and politics in Westminster, it is understood a deal that EU leaders can sign up to tomorrow is now within reach.
    Two senior EU sources have said the main stumbling block to an agreement has been removed, with the DUP accepting the latest proposals on consent.

There may be an announcement later this evening...paving the way for deal tomorrow....
    The thorny issue of getting it through the house of Parliament could be the last hurdle. Apparently the may not sign the deal tomorrow...instead allowing for Parliament to debate an "open deal"...seeing as the last PM's deal failed three times.....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)