+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did drinkers switch to Lager.

Used to drink Brew X1 as a lad. So bad was it used to put a bottle of light in it to liven it up. Still bettter than a lager. However the decision which boozer we drank in was much more dependent on the quantity and quality of the young ladies present than the quality of the beer.
    Things have massively improved with the arrival of the new independent breweries. My favourite now is a very local brew Dark Star APA. Will be getting plenty of practice with American hops the next couple of months. Anyone been recently and got any recommedndations?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I haven’t drunk since I was a ****ager but always thought Mild was gross......it smells like a bucket of sick.
    In the old days I liked a shandy.
    Now I just have an occasional “Hand shandy”.
    Very refreshing.
    Yeah but your mates on here tell me you can only manage a little drop of it .
    What's wrong with a decent pint o lager anyway ? (and yes I know I've had this discussion many time on here with you old ale suppers/Brewers). lol

Batham’s has to be quite simply the worst beer on the planet. I’d give up drinking if that putrid rubbish was the only stuff on offer. There’s a new Batham’s pub opened in Hagley a while back near where I live. Even most of the people in there don’t seem to drink Batham’s which is why they offer plenty of alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Batham’s has to be quite simply the worst beer on the planet. I’d give up drinking if that putrid rubbish was the only stuff on offer. There’s a new Batham’s pub opened in Hagley a while back near where I live. Even most of the people in there don’t seem to drink Batham’s which is why they offer plenty of alternatives
    Bathams does vary depending where you drink it. Never thought much of it in The Vine on matchday, but went into The Unicorn pub in Wollaston a while back and it was a lovely drink.

Quote Originally Posted by baggielad View Post
    Bathams does vary depending where you drink it. Never thought much of it in The Vine on matchday, but went into The Unicorn pub in Wollaston a while back and it was a lovely drink.
    Beer drinking is wholly subjective. you either like what you drink or........You don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yeah but your mates on here tell me you can only manage a little drop of it .
    What's wrong with a decent pint o lager anyway ? (and yes I know I've had this discussion many time on here with you old ale suppers/Brewers). lol
    Mick hasn't any friends on here Acido!

I've not moved to lager, nor have many of my drinking mates. I haven't had a lager for years, even then it was only very occasionally. Always found it pretty tasteless. I went to Germany about 15 years ago, had little choice but to drink it there. It wasn't too bad.
    I like the real ale movement of the last few years.
    Brew X1 was better than Double Diamond.

I preferred DD. I always found Brew X1 warm and sickly. That said a pint of Holdens or Bathams Bitter were my faves.
    Last edited by WBA1955; 07-10-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65 View Post
    Beer drinking is wholly subjective. you either like what you drink or........You don't!
    Price has a lot to do with it. Ales are all around the £3.50 mark while lager is generally cheaper. Saying that in my Local Estrella and Bier Moretti are £4.30 a pint. Fosters is £2.80 but is awful alright for Crocodile Dundee i suppose,so most people drink Carling.
    What i hate is German Lager that comes from Northampton or Burton. If i want a German lager i expect it to come from Germany.
    Too many rubbish lagers posing as Holsten, Carlsberg or Budweiser these days.
    Newcastle Brown is now brewed in Yorkshire and tastes nothing like the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    Mick hasn't any friends on here Acido!
    Ooohhh uncle Mick wont like you saying that, will he Chris mate.

And hey guys I still stick up for a good old pint o' lager. Especially when its had about 40 minutes in the freezer, and it comes out superbly chilled. Perfick!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    It was the two hot summers of '75 and '76 that changed me from bitter to lager. I was so hot after playing cricket, and lager was kept so much colder, that I changed and never went back. I must admit though I drink a lot of cider now. I find 'Strongbow Cloudy Apple' a really refreshing, tasty drink.
    I think there are certain drinks you find appealing at different times of the year. I like Cider too in the Summer. I like a drop of Rum or Southern Comfort in the cooler months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)