+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok I’ll say it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    It really does, if you don't think we have a good chance winning the league this year then it goes against most stats that say we have a very good chance under RN (our pts per game is very good just now despite Fri, our home form is excellent)

Certainly a lot more chance than if we changed manager during the season (which would be daft as we are trying to get stability finally) that would be a huge own goal

We aren't going to win every league game, we will lose games, would anyone rather we had won 4 drew 4 and had 16 pts? We win most games and don't draw any these days

I think some fans just can't get out of the short term thinking, it's very frustrating, definitely have allowed previous years to cloud their judgement thinking the same happens again but it won't, this season is different, we will bounce back quickly
    We do have a good chance of winning the league, but Robbie’s persistence in changing the team, playing people out of their natural positions, and adopting negative tactics, means we are continually blowing chances to create a gap between ourselves and the nearest challengers. As others have said, and as someone who relies heavily on stats should know, history has proven we sh!t ourselves at Christmas time, so WE NEED to create that gap.
    Like many others have said, including myself, I don’t want Robbie to fail, but why does he keep making the same mistakes this season as he did last season? It’s his team now, so no excuses, and why hasn’t he provided adequate cover in key positions?? He’s inviting pressure upon himself.

Overall, we are in a decent position, but the result at Ayr, the performance against Arbroath, and the result at Alloa, reminds most fans how quickly that advantage can disappear, yet you just can’t see that risk, and continue to paint a rosy picture. I can assure you, we don’t want to be posting “told you so”, but if Robbie doesn’t change his tactics, he’ll simply be another in the long line of failing managers, and in my humble opinion, all because he is more frightened of losing, than winning games.

Arabest, and FTD!

Nobody has suggested that other teams will drop points down at Alloa yet, i wonder why?

head on the block after every defeat.

ridiculous.

18 from 24.
    72 from his 36 games in charge.

I wish he wasn’t so stubborn at times with team selection, but if we do punt him, it’s Lee McCulloch for a fortnight then a choice from your John Hughes & McIntyre types.

head on the block after every defeat
    I don’t think it’s because of a defeat which we all know is going to happen but more the manner of defeat.
    Haven’t seen anybody calling for his head.
    Neilson is also suffering from the weight of expectation that the supporters will put on the shoulders of any manager.
    And that will get greater as the season moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyFears2 View Post
    head on the block after every defeat.

ridiculous.

18 from 24.
    72 from his 36 games in charge.

I wish he wasn’t so stubborn at times with team selection, but if we do punt him, it’s Lee McCulloch for a fortnight then a choice from your John Hughes & McIntyre types.
    Agreed. Also, what, 12(?) of those games had to be negotiated with the schite that Laszlo left behind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Short term thinking? Seen as you are good at producing stats, for how many seasons out of the last 10 have we SHAT IT after Christmas? Despite so many changes,

Same heartless players,
    Same stubborn manager,
    Same unacceptable results,

So excuse me for feeling its gonna be the same old, same old!

Produce stats, no stats are produced by teams and their results on the park, and here are some with regards Neilson and us

Neilson league record so far
    Pld 36 W22 D6 L8 F59 A34 Pts 72
    Win% 61 ppg 2.0 gfpg 1.64 gapg 0.94

Since Jan window (his own team)
    Pld 22 W15 D2 L5 F40 A18 Pts 47
    Win% 68 ppg 2.14 gfpg 1.82 gapg 0.82

This season to date
    Pld 8 W6 D0 L2 F22 A8 Pts 18
    Win% 75 ppg 2.25 gfpg 2.75 gapg 1.0

Improvement in each area pretty much and just to compare games won, pts, win% and ppg to previous winners and runner up....

2013/14
    Dundee Won 21 (58.3%) Pts 69 (1.92)
    Accies Won 19 (52.8%) Pts 67 (1.86)
    2014/15
    Hearts Won 29 (80.6%) Pts 91 (2.53)
    Hibs Won 21 (58.3%) Pts 70 (1.94)
    2015/16
    Sevco Won 25 (69.4%) Pts 81 (2.25)
    Falkirk Won 19 (52.7%) Pts 70 (1.94)
    2016/17
    Hibs Won 19 (52.7%) Pts 71 (1.97)
    Falkirk Won 16 (44.4%) Pts 60 (1.67)
    2017/18
    St Mirren Won 23 (63.9%) Pts 74 (2.06)
    Livingston Won 17 (47.2%) Pts 62 (1.72)
    2018/19
    R County Won 21 (58.3%) Pts 71 (1.97)
    United Won 19 (52.7%) Pts 65 (1.81)

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    And I didn’t suggest getting rid of him either but I don’t thing he’s doing the job particularly well.
    You called him a charlatan. You want to keep a charlatan as manager?

Are you only judging Neilson on the good games. What about Ayr, Arbroath and Alloa.
    Were these performances not worthy of criticism.
    Definitely. It's not black and white, it's not all great or all ****e.

Don’t recall the Messiah being mentioned.
    Here you go....
    No doubt someone will produce statistics to prove Neilson is the messiah.

We should be top of the league with the squad we have.
    You've got me there - we ARE top of the league!

If you’re happy with him that’s fair enough. I don’t have a problem with you not agreeing with me.
    Neither do I, I like a debate. What's the point in sitting in an echo chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    You called him a charlatan. You want to keep a charlatan as manager?

Definitely. It's not black and white, it's not all great or all ****e.

Here you go....

You've got me there - we ARE top of the league!

Neither do I, I like a debate. What's the point in sitting in an echo chamber?
    Wish I knew how to cut and paste like your post. Would make life easier but too old to learn new tricks
    I did on a subsequent post say that charlatan was too strong a word. And it is but seemed a good idea at the time.
    I don’t have a lot of confidence in him but don’t think now would be the time to replace him.
    Ha ha you got me on the Messiah thing but to be fair I don’t always read what I write especially after a few refreshments.
    When I said we should be top of the league I was trying to emphasise that being there didn’t automatically mean the manager is doing a good job.
    And I do appreciate how stupid that can read because if we’re still there at the end of the season he’ll be a success.
    My concern is that he is still making the same ‘mistakes’ as last season and costing us points.
    We were always going to lose games but the performances in 3 of the last 4 games are a concern.
    But games like the Dundee and Morton paper over the cracks.
    I really hope to be proved wrong.
    And as you say debate is good.

Wish I knew how to cut and paste like your post. Would make life easier but too old to learn new tricks
    I did on a subsequent post say that charlatan was too strong a word. And it is but seemed a good idea at the time.
    I don’t have a lot of confidence in him but don’t think now would be the time to replace him.
    Ha ha you got me on the Messiah thing but to be fair I don’t always read what I write especially after a few refreshments.
    When I said we should be top of the league I was trying to emphasise that being there didn’t automatically mean the manager is doing a good job.
    And I do appreciate how stupid that can read because if we’re still there at the end of the season he’ll be a success.
    My concern is that he is still making the same ‘mistakes’ as last season and costing us points.
    We were always going to lose games but the performances in 3 of the last 4 games are a concern.
    But games like the Dundee and Morton paper over the cracks.
    I really hope to be proved wrong.
    And as you say debate is good.
    I hope so too!

I just get the fear when I consider the alternatives. We’re better than we were and, while there have been blips, I think we’ll continue to improve with some much needed patience and continuity.

Nobody has a crystal ball I suppose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)