+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absolutely over the moon. (my take on the game)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Absolutely over the moon. (my take on the game)

No, I'm not talking about top table sublime, I'm talking about a team that was picked to have a go at Man Utd and also keep its shape. It worked a treat.

One of the most enjoyable games I've seen in a long time, regardless of whether Man Utd were players amiss and having a bad spell. We were in the exact same boat, so there's no excuses on their part against our part.

Like chalk and cheese compared to the Leicester game.
    You could've forgive the players for being nervous at home after a terrible showing against Leicester and the potential of a Man Utd resurgence on the cards, likely thought of by a fair few people from both sets of fans...but I saw something out there last night.

I saw a team that not only went into the game with the right frame of mind, they also went in as a well drilled unit which is pretty impressive when you consider the change up.

The Longstaff's were fantastic in the centre of the field and equally both deserving of a man of the match...but Matty's debut and the confident display and cracking shot that clipped the bar, plus his confidently well taken goal set up by a very impressive calm and assured display by Willems, made him my favourite for it.

I have a feeling a fair few fans will play this one down. If so then fine with me because I absolutely enjoyed that game considering what's went on.
    I'm over the moon for Bruce because it's not been an easy transition for him but I think he's shown a lot of guts and proved he can actually manage and coach. It's about getting the right balance from what he has at his disposal.

He's found out that some of the players he has are way better than many give credit for, not only in skill but in determination and willingness to actually fit in.

Others need to get their confidence right (Almiron) and Joelinton just needs to find his way around to add in the extras I know he has in the tank. It's a definite learning curve for him in this league, as it is for a few others.

I thought it was a very solid team performance with some football that excited me.
    Alain Saint Maximin worked very well and was a box of tricks. Once he learns to release that ball at times he will cause all kinds of problems on the front foot as well as the problems he causes just going on his own skilful jaunts.

It's great to have a player like him as long as he doesn't become too individualistic. I think he'll be a massive hit if injuries permit, just like I think Willems is going to be in that same vein if injuries perm it.

Have we just unearthed our ideal midfield partnership? I hope so..but I do know it has to be managed carefully and not to be overcooked....but I absolutely loved those two lads...the longstaff's.
    I can't praise them highly enough.

Our backline were well drilled also. Schar did an amazing job and especially nicking that ball away from Rashford right in front of goal.
    Lascelles did a sterling job as did Clark.
    Yedlin also did well defending and also his pacey runs down the wing unsettling Man Utd just like Willems on the other side.

Carroll did a decent job when he came on in unsettling their defence and also defending set pieces.

A team full of energy, pace and overall bite. You can't ask for much more to be fair.

All in all we stopped Man Utd from getting into their stride for a large proportion of that game. The graft put in to do that naturally took its toll later on but the determination to keep going got us over the line in the end.

A well deserved 3 points and no luck about any of it overall.
    To go into the international break with that confidence booster can hopefully gee this squad up and get us into a shape where we can make a decent fist of it this season and be comfortable. Fingers crossed we inch forward.

To say I'm happy would be an understatement. I've got a right buzz about me and actually seeing those two lads give an interview just put the icing on my cake.

A really enjoyable football game. Well done to all.

Didn't watch it. Happy for Longstaff, not bothered about our club under Ashley anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Didn't watch it. Happy for Longstaff, not bothered about our club under Ashley anymore.
    You missed a treat,we all want Ashley out but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    You missed a treat,we all want Ashley out but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of cutting off my nose to spite my face.
    I might have missed a treat. I could also have missed another thumping. You never know with this team, and it's not Bruce I'm blaming for that. Although he doesn't seem to really know what he's doing.

Didn’t watch it but 31% at home to a very poor team says it all

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Didn’t watch it but 31% at home to a very poor team says it all
    Forget percentage any body can play passball without being a threat.The Toon could have been 3-0 up by half time and were much more threatening than Man U,far from saying it all 31 per cent said nothing and As for Matty Longstaffs goal it was a very well hit ball from a great counter attack from a Man U corner.Matty also hit the crossbar early on with De gear beaten and Almiron was put through twice and had two shots blocked.Late on Carrol headed over when his marker did well to put him off.

Forget percentage any body can play passball without being a threat.The Toon could have been 3-0 up by half time and were much more threatening than Man U,far from saying it all 31 per cent said nothing and As for Matty Longstaffs goal it was a very well hit ball from a great counter attack from a Man U corner.Matty also hit the crossbar early on with De gear beaten and Almiron was put through twice and had two shots blocked.Late on Carrol headed over when his marker did well to put him off.
    Agreed. Percentage means nothing if you're having a go and we were certainly having a go.

A fine win and the saint has to stay fit he was superb yesterday and Miggy had his best game of the season so far, a clean sheet is always a positive and it looks like we have a little gem in Longstaff. Typical we get a great win like this then our next game is away to chelsea but you never know. Still loads of hard work to do but least we could enjoy a good result.

You did see MacGuire´s open goal miss?

A very good 3 points (we´ll need them) but it was far from comfortable against the worst Man U side I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    You did see MacGuire´s open goal miss?

A very good 3 points (we´ll need them) but it was far from comfortable against the worst Man U side I have ever seen.
    Not the worst I have seen,before Ferguson they were very average and were relegated in the 70s.However I do agree they are not a top four side at the moment.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)