+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dario - Club Statement on Official Site

Dario - Club Statement on Official Site

Dario Gradi has decided that at 78 years of age he is to retire from the positions he currently holds at Crewe Alexandra Football Club.

He was the club’s most successful manager having won four promotions, most notably guiding the club into the second tier of English football in 1997 and again in 2003.

The club went on to play eight seasons in the EFL Championship under his tenure and a number of his former players went on to play at the highest level and represent their respective countries.

In total, the Milan-born Gradi, took charge of 1,359 Crewe Alexandra first-team matches.

In January 1998, Gradi was awarded the MBE for his services to football and he was awarded the PFA Merit Award in 2004. He was also honoured by the Football League in 2011 when awarded for his ‘Outstanding Contribution To League Football’.

Crewe Alexandra would like to thank Dario for his outstanding 36 years of service to the football club and are pleased to know that he would be happy to continue to assist the club’s senior coaching staff with his invaluable experience in the future.

When I saw the headline I thought this would be to say FA suspension over, but if he's happy to share experience with coaching staff in future, is there a link, as didn't think he was allowed to at the moment?

Anyway, thank you Dario!

It wouldn’t be the Crewe Alex that we know and love today had it not been for his vision, commitment and very hard work. Wishing him a long and happy retirement and let’s hope he’s allowed many happy returns to Gresty Road to check that his ideas are still bearing fruit..... very entertaining fruit at the moment too.

Absolute legend of a man...I wrote to him a few times as a kid and always got a personal reply from him! No wonder I'm a Crewe fanatic. So thankful for all he did for the club. Artell has said on a few occasions that he'd love to bend his ear so that suggests he wasn't allowed anything to do with the club during the suspension.

I was really sad to hear that he had resigned, no doubt a broken man.
    However, ending his official connection now means he can come and watch the team he saved and rebuilt to reach 11th in the second tier of English professional football.
    I hope he appears at Gresty Road soon so I can show my appreciation.

A Great manager and a Great guy. Thanks for all the wonderful memories and without him there would be no Crewe Alexandra.

Thanks Dario. You were responsible for the best moments in my football watching life. Going toe to toe with the teams in the Championship was unforgettable. If I can take one result to my dying bed it was winning at the clayheads new stadium. If you are allowed, please come back to Gresty Road. A lot of people would like to show their appreciation.

Why was he suspended for 3 years ?
    Why didn't he appeal his suspension ?
    And despite what he says he can't come back now he's retired because his ban hasn't been lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Harkin View Post
    Why was he suspended for 3 years ?
    Why didn't he appeal his suspension ?
    And despite what he says he can't come back now he's retired because his ban hasn't been lifted.
    He was banned because the allegations were made against CAFC, were to serious for the FA to ignore so as Dario who was still working was singled out by the FA, even though there is no evidence of any wrong doing. He cant appeal because of the criticism DG received after the enquiry at Chelsea. There was no evidence he did anything wrong but a Judge criticised him anyway, I think the judge did that to ensure that Dario would not be able to return to football. The only option would for Dario to appeal or take legal action against the FA, but it's unlikely, after he was criticised by a judge, that he would ever get a fair hearing, its politically expedient not to allow him back into football.

Its sad that a legend of Crewe has been hounded out of football, despite no evidence of wrongdoing and I wish him all the best, this club owes him so much, without him, the club wouldn't have survived, so its a sad end to an outstanding manager.

He can come and watch the Alex at any time. Why? Because he has not been found guilty of anything by anyone despite being hounded as a convenient scapegoat by certain media and an outrageous remark by a 'judge'. Plus of course, he was suspended from an active role in the club and now he is not employed by the club. Therefore he can come as a spectator.
    When he does I will certainly express my gratitude and appreciation for all the pleasure he has provided.

I think the football world in general would like to think that some kind of acknowledgement should be given towards all the lads who suffered at the hands of those employed at Crewe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast