+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deal or No Deal

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I really really wish I shared your optimism.

Our economy will flourish.
    No problem at all with the Irish border.
    Foreigners will not be welcome...unless they are super skilled.
    We will do our own security.
    No problem with items such as medical supplies.
    We don't need farmers anyway. So 40% tariffs on sheep and even more on dairy doesn't matter, does it?
    We can import what the hell we like - even if the quality and safety standards are no as good as currently (foodstuffs etc)
    The EU will go bankrupt.
    British courts will rule on British laws. (Oh, hang on...)
    We don't need reciprocal free medical care when abroad, do we, we can buy medical insurance.
    Hooray! we will have to get one of those funky green card thingys and wait for customs checks when entering/leaving Europe.
    We can compete against the EU instead of collaborating with it.
    The collaboration between our various science projects is overrated.
    We will get our blue passport back.
    We wall be poorer, but I'll have a warm smug feeling in side once we leave.
    Our kids will be deprived of travel/working/living in Europe to a large extent but why on earth do they want to leave Britain in the first place?
    If the foreigners get nasty with the trade deals then we'll show 'em what the Bulldog spirit is all about. We lived through the Blitz don't you know?
    We will be able to buy bananas as bent as we wish.

What's not to like? Have I missed anything?
    Why are you so scared of us being Independant, I can’t understand it .

We are a proud nation and I’ve lost grandparents to being prisoners of war who fought for our independence to be free and you lot of remoaners want to give it all to Brussels and hitler in a skirt for nothing.

I wander if all the youth that is constantly on debate about how they have a right to stay and the country is robbing them of a future etc.

Not once did I see an interview that asked if their grandparents fought in two wars for our great country, maybe they d have a more balanced view if they were asked that.

I’m behind Boris whatever anyone says on Brexit I still think the Eu will collapse eventually as others will take our lead and decide they don’t need to contribute billions to Brussels fat cats.

It’s easy to point the finger at Boris but as I posted before he inherited the poison chalice as for 3.5 years we have weakened our position with Europe as they have laughed at our incompetence.

I think it’s shameful what has happend across our politicians , we simply don’t have anyone fit to run the country ( the nearest is Boris ).

People on here saying liberal will do this labour will do that , conservative will do the other.

Simply they should have delivered a Brexit with a deal and moved on instead they have made themselves a laughing stock and lost the faith of the people and our democratic system, along with the option of a leave deal.

None of the parties would have been able to deliver a leave brexit as they are two self obsessed about personal circumstance and career.

It’s pathetic

Well, Boris and his posh chums are still adamant that we will leave in three weeks time.

If it works out well I will celebrate and admit that I was wrong.

But if it all goes pear shaped for our country then will you admit that we made a monumental error?

More like, you will continue the blame game. But who would be left to blame this time?

Not the EU - it was our decision to leave, not theirs.
    Not the "experts" who have been constantly warning of the peril of a no deal.
    Not the Lib Dems who are striving to stop Brexit.

So who's fault would it be?

I've got my ammo ready.....

Well, Boris and his posh chums are still adamant that we will leave in three weeks time.

If it works out well I will celebrate and admit that I was wrong.

But if it all goes pear shaped for our country then will you admit that we made a monumental error?

More like, you will continue the blame game. But who would be left to blame this time?

Not the EU - it was our decision to leave, not theirs.
    Not the "experts" who have been constantly warning of the peril of a no deal.
    Not the Lib Dems who are striving to stop Brexit.

So who's fault would it be?

I've got my ammo ready.....
    The politicians will be to blame 59 because as I alluded to above , they have dodged and ducked and pointed fingers at everyone but themselves, ridiculous.

But really no one is to blame for Brexit are they as democratically we voted to leave and yet you and many others simply refuse to acknowledge that even though it was a people’s vote,
    It’s alright saying who’s fault will it be , who’s fault is it we are still where we are , trying to negotiate with people who are like you and have no interest unless it really suits them and their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    The politicians will be to blame 59 because as I alluded to above , they have dodged and ducked and pointed fingers at everyone but themselves, ridiculous.

But really no one is to blame for Brexit are they as democratically we voted to leave and yet you and many others simply refuse to acknowledge that even though it was a people’s vote,
    It’s alright saying who’s fault will it be , who’s fault is it we are still where we are , trying to negotiate with people who are like you and have no interest unless it really suits them and their needs.
    I'll highlight just one issue Army.

Are you happy for there to be a hard border on the Irish border? If not then what is your suggestion?

I don't know how old you are but if you were in the army a few years ago then you will be very well aware that this issue is critical.
    If we leave with no deal then a hard border is inevitable - no matter what Boris says.

There are too many people on both sides of the Irish border who will not tolerate a return to the "troubles".

Mark my words, a pragmatic solution will be found and I reckon the EU will be all the worse for it.

Are you happy for there to be a hard border on the Irish border? If not then what is your suggestion?

I don't know how old you are but if you were in the army a few years ago then you will be very well aware that this issue is critical.
    If we leave with no deal then a hard border is inevitable - no matter what Boris says.
    If I had the answer to that 59 we’d be sorted wouldn’t we, I’ve no doubt there will be a solution found so we don’t end up back to the dark days.

My thought is though is that the real reason everyone is kicking off , I know it’s a stumbling block but my point was for 3.5 years now we have known about the issue and our politicians would rather raise a public funded court case against the prime minister for 4 days of parliament closing.
    Whilst being idolised by the press and remoaners , big smiles and thumbs up for a court case eh and PR on tv about how they showed him who’s boss.

As you can probably tell I’m about sick to death of these people now , remoaners,false politicians, lies in the press

I mean as balanced people yourself included Boris knee squeeze incident that happend 20 years ago allegedly - is it relevant at all to his position - does he need that when he’s trying to do his best.

I can’t see it 59 losing the will to live with the whole charade that is Brexit and the complicit idiots who pretend to be for the people.

We need to come out and get on with it

This can’t go on any longer

You know regardless of who was - is in power we had 3 years to negotiate and come up with a solution , that’s all parties , and imo they should have done that for the good of the British people.

I’m pretty sure from a work perspective if I took 3 years to do something ( nothing actually except moan about others doing nothing ) I’d be sacked for incompetence.
    Just a thought , I’m sure that would happen my customers wouldn’t put up with that.

More Project Fear 59, you really have no shame have you, you really ought to know better. You are wrong as usual, there will not be a hard border in Ireland. I sometimes wonder if you are so deluded you really do believe the tripe you post, or are just posting this drivel as a bitter Remoaner. I've said many times that the Irish border is a confected problem designed to trap us in the EU, once we leave, if we ever do, the issue will be resolved quite quickly. Here is what a businessman whose company exports all over the world, including every EU country thinks about the issue.

"In all the discussion about the Irish border, most of us can end up feeling pretty bamboozled by the whole thing. However, there are some facts that are worth remembering which actually provide the keys to a future solution. Firstly, it is worth reminding ourselves of the present situation. The UK and Republic of Ireland have a Common Travel Area which means that there is completely free movement of people between the UK and the Republic. There are different currencies, VAT rates, agricultural support regimes and rates of Excise duty applicable on either side of the border. If a Northern Irish trader exports something to the Republic, they invoice it without VAT under the despatch code and will then show on their monthly sales list the value sold to that customer in the preceding month. The customer in the Republic will declare the import VAT at the applicable Irish rate on their VAT return for the period in question. This system is policed by the customs authorities on either side of the border and throughout the EU by random inspections and the analysis of submitted Sales Lists and “summary declaration” Intrastat reports. Interestingly, if the Guinness factory ships a consignment to a customer in Northern Ireland there is not only VAT but also Excise Duty to be paid in Northern Ireland. Excise Duty is not VAT and has VAT charged on it and it is applicable principally to alcohol, tobacco and fuel. This is not collected at the border, as in days of old, but from the customer after the consignment has been received. This is the culmination of a chain of steps that starts with the shipper advising the customs authorities in the Republic that the Guinness is being shipped and its destination. It relies on co-operation between customs authorities on both sides of the border but has been proven to work well. Enforcement takes places with spot checks by customs officials and trading standards inspectors as well as analysis of the traffic taking place as evidenced by the document trails. Fuel is another interesting one and shows how even with an open border at present, the authorities on both sides have been putting enormous efforts into controlling the illicit use of untaxed Agricultural Diesel. Many have witnessed officials from the Republic stopping cars to check that they are running on taxed fuel. The Prime Minister has proposed an elegant way of addressing problems raised by the EU and others in order to keep the border open and trade free. However, his plans are really not necessary as even in the event of a “No Deal” their concerns can easily be dealt with. Firstly the Common Travel Area predates our accession to the EU and therefore means than all non-trade traffic will continue to move back and forth without impediment. Stories of people who work on the opposite side of the border from where they live, being prevented from doing so, is therefore misplaced. Secondly, there is no – and I repeat no – requirement by the WTO, for either side to install any border infrastructure. What the WTO does require is that the law applicable to goods crossing the Northern Ireland border is the same as that applicable to goods crossing the UK border elsewhere. The problem therefore boils down to an accounting issue: how do we make certain that the relevant tariffs are paid and that the goods sold by Northern Irish businesses into the Republic and EU Single Market comply with its rules. The vast majority of the traders in question will have turnovers of more than £85,000 and therefore will be registered for VAT, subject to VAT rules and required to make monthly or quarterly VAT returns. As we saw above, we already have two very good systems for handling the collection of UK and Republic of Ireland Excise duties and accounting for the VAT on cross-border trade. These systems are entirely electronic, require no border infrastructure and are fully tried and tested. Therefore by making a few small changes to the Sales List and Intrastat supplementary declarations, it would be perfectly possible to collect any tariffs due. HMRC has already developed a system along these lines for importers to use in the event of a “No Deal” called TSP, Transitional Simplified Procedures. Making sure that goods entering the EU Single Market via the Republic meet the applicable standards and regulations of the Single Market is a bit of a non-issue. It is always up to an importer who seeks to sell goods in their market to make sure that those goods meet the requirements of the laws and standards of that market. When procuring goods, they will be aware of this and therefore require of the supplier to only supply the correct versions. At present this is policed by national authorities on the whole as a result of intelligence and away from borders. Trade is determined by supply and demand. Whether they are seen as hard or soft, open or shut, borders are simply one of a number of steps in the process of the willing seller supplying what the willing buyer wants. I strongly believe that if there were a will from the EU and Dublin to find a way to co-exist with an open border, then there are a number of ways – and the simplest are already being used at this moment by their own officials."

As someone said last week, can't remember who, 'Lock a dozen businessmen in a room for an afternoon, and this whole Brexit issue would be resolved'. Sadly though businessmen are excluded, we just have pathetic second-rate politicians, absolutely determined that we will never leave the EU, and what a sorry farce it is.
    Last edited by sinkov; 09-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    There are too many people on both sides of the Irish border who will not tolerate a return to the "troubles".

Mark my words, a pragmatic solution will be found and I reckon the EU will be all the worse for it.
    Of course it will BT, but Project Fear has to run, and run. Sad to see otherwise sensible people falling for such drivel.

Well, in three weeks time Project Fear will no longer exist - if Boris is as good as his word ()

And if things go well for us then I will admit that I was wring all along. I will be delighted because I want the best for my country.

But if things turn sour ten Project Fear will become Project Blame - but who would you blame?
    Will YOU admit that you got it wrong, or continue to blame the EU or the Lib Dems?

Not long to wait now....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)