+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Boyd on Shankland or is it United!

Swansea were courting him before he signed for us and will still be watching him. I reckon there is a far higher chance of him heading to the championship than going to either of the glasgow clubs. The boy wants to play football and will not risk sitting on a bench somewhere. We must enjoy him whilst we can...because he won't be a United player for long.

When he signed I would have expected two seasons tops if we were promoted

Now I think 18 months tops if promoted

A year would be disappointing if promoted but understandable if not, either way he should not be going on the cheap and definitely should enjoy it while he is here

Quote Originally Posted by petermackie View Post
    No seethe here....another step closer to Ibrox😄

Still six two your stomach I see, splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Still six two your stomach I see, splendid.
    That must be your wittiest post ever😃

Seems like LS might miss a game for us due to "international duties" Totally happy for the guy........... but.......... I did mention this quite a while back and was genuinely concerned that international fixtures might have a slight impact on our season. Got no feedback whatsoever ..... hmmmmmmm

Need to get enough points on the board where things like loosing Shankland can be mitigated. Louis needs to step up to the plate as well and i wonder if there will be some experimenting over the coming weeks.

I doubt Shanks is going anywhere until this season is over at least.

Providing we get promoted, I think he'll be with us until Jan 2021 window. But hopefully longer. He frequently mentions proving himself in the Premier league, and I think he wants to be playing regularly. That makes me think he has got his head screwed on and will look carefully at his options before any move.

Seems to be happy at United just now so long may that continue.

Dundee United supremo Tony Asghar insists they won’t sell star striker Lawrence Shankland – no matter what any club might offer during the January transfer window.

Shankland has been in sensational scoring form for United since joining from Ayr United back in the summer and has already bagged 15 goals for Robbie Neilson’s Championship leaders as they pursue a Premiership return this season.

The 24-year-old fans’ favourite added yet further stock to his growing reputation last week by netting in his full Scotland debut in their 6-0 Euro 2020 qualifying win over San Marino at Hampden.

And sporting director Asghar, who on Monday announced Neilson’s contract extension as well as assistant head coaches Lee McCulloch and Gordon Forrest until 2022, has warned clubs not to even waste their time trying to lure Shankland elsewhere in the New Year.

Asghar said: ‘Lawrence was a target for us all last season. Robbie and I spoke about him and it took a lot of time and a lot of phone calls to get him.

“Lawrence has committed to three years. This club has a history of selling players at the wrong time.

“My job is to get the best value for the club – and the best value for the club is to go on and get promotion over and above any money from a transfer fee.

“The owners have invested a lot of money. They’re craving success. If you weigh a transfer fee up against success on the pitch, they’ll take success on the pitch every time.

“I don’t think there’s any price you could name for us to sell him and then not give ourselves the best chance of promotion.

“I’m sure Lawrence would say the same thing. He’s a great boy. Other clubs had a chance to take him six months ago and never took it – he understands that.

“He’s committed to the cause here. By seeing the coaching staff all signing new deals now, it will show him that we’re all in this for the long-term.

“Some clubs can find themselves in the position where they have to sell their top assets, but we are not in that position.

“The owners were clear when Lawrence arrived in the summer. He’s a key part of what we’re trying to do, so I don’t expect any chats like this come January.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...undee-20644136

Quote Originally Posted by psych View Post

“Lawrence has committed to three years. This club has a history of selling players at the wrong time.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...undee-20644136
    This.

This one simple statement in itself indicates that before buying the Club that they listened and that they get it. They know the grubby, greedy reasons for where the Club currently finds itself and repeating that makes no sense whatsoever.

Ultimately I can't see anything other than him ending up at Sevco... but hopefully not for a good while yet

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)