+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player ratings v Dagenham

Player ratings v Dagenham

Some good moments....some worrying moments and some frustrating moments. It was a tough game for Notts, one we would have comprehensively lost not long ago so it shows we are improving.

I'm glad we don't have to play them any time again soon as I thought they were the best side to visit the lane so far, kind of a mix between Solihull and Fylde....anyway,

Slocombe - Best game for Notts so far, a couple of ***** saves - 8

Brindley - Was close to MOTM for me, good defending, a few good crosses into the box, lots of energy - 8

Turner - Standard, what we've come to expect - 8

Rawlinson - This guy has taken his chance in the team really well and compliments turner well - 8

Bakayogo - Good in defence, not so good going forward with the lack of movement in front of him in midfield - 7

Enzio - One of his more complete games, worked hard, a couple of half chances and an assist - 7.5

Rose - If Doyle played this poorly on a regular basis then there'd be an uproar. Poor passing, no composure on the ball, little to no end product. The effort is always there though - 5.5

Booty - Too similar to Rose for them both to play in the same team I think. Well taken goal and got stuck in but his fitness is a concern - 6.5

Shields - Didn't do much to suggest he's going to be a regular in the team, he looks like an older version of Osbourne if he fails to bulk up a bit. Can't recall one moment that he looked dangerous - 5

Thomas - Frustrating night for him really. Plenty of endeavour but didn't have one sniff of goal and he was well marshalled by the Dagenham defence 6.5

Wootton - Another good target man display. Worked tirelessly and aggressively to make the ball stick up top. Badly let down by the midfield, again, until Doyle and Dennis came on. - 7.5

Doyle - Came on and the team looked more comfortable straight away. Great leadership skills on the pitch and started to hit the channels with passes instead of tip tapping himself into trouble. Must start next game - 7

Dennis - Must start from now on. Great goal but I think he does more for the team than he is given credit for....he can smell danger and gets into great positions. Must start next game now - 7.5

Ardley - Could see he was trying to keep possession early on but thankfully he saw that was going to be our downfall and went more direct after the break. Good substitutions at the right time swung it for us - 8

Unable to be at the game last night, and therefore your match ratings are very welcome.
    My only comment is that Radio Nottingham appeared to confirm your rating for Rose.

Cheers for the ratings. It's strange that Rose is struggling. Before the season started, I would have said he's one of our best and most reliable players.

Great to get another clean sheet at home, and also to win a game we clearly would have drawn or lost a month ago.

Onwards and upwards!

COYP

It is odd regarding Rose. I actually like him, he's always fully committed and doesn't go hiding if it's not going his way but I do wonder if the centre, or the role Ardley wants him to play actually suits him.

I'd quite like to see him on the right of the midfield where his passing doesn't have to be quite so intricate. He also has an explosive turn of speed and a mean cross in him so perhaps that wider role would suit his ample capabilities better.

Slocombe 8 - good distribution, crucial save to keep us ahead, didn't do a lot wrong.
    Brindley 8 - brilliant goal-saving block in the first half, always in the right place.
    Rawlinson 7 - solid performance, competed well.
    Turner 8* - won nearly everything in the air and on the ground. The organiser and leader we have been lacking at the back.
    Bakayogo 7 - did a good job on the left, could have been used more when he found space.
    Shields 5.5 - a few good moments but looks a bit lightweight.
    Rose 5.5 - covered the ground well but too many poor passes and too much dithering on the ball.
    Booty 6 - good free kick goal, could have done a bit more on the creative side.
    Enzio 6 - worked a few good shooting positions but didn't really trouble their keeper.
    Wootton 6.5 - good hold up play and always offerd a target, not much attacking threat.
    Thomas 5 - struggled to get involved, although to be fair he didn't get much service.

Doyle 6 - helped us keep possession late in the game.
    Dennis 8 - lively from the minute he came on, great finish to clinch the points.
    Bird 6 - did what he had to do in a back three.

Maybe a bit of a flattering scoreline but I think we just about shaded it. We are looking more solid at the back, but the slow build up to our attacking play means we struggle to create many chances. Fair play to Ardley, I'm still not convinced by him but his methods are gaining points at the moment, let's hope it continues.

The secret to any successful side is finding a way to win in evenly matched games, and we seem to have found a way to do that - at home, at least. Key to that is the clean sheets. Looks to me that we have a very good defence and attack for this level, which is masking the problems in midfield without the creativity and drive of JOB.

I think it might be worth moving Thomas out to the wing and starting Dennis alongside Wootton, with Tyson as the back-up on the bench. I like the idea of moving Rose to the right, but not sure if Booty and Doyle have the legs or physique to control the centre of the park.

The ratings so far do tend to reflect what I saw although I think Booty is not getting the full credit he desrves. I know at times he looks a bit unfit and cumbersome but he actually never stopped last night, even in the dying minutes he was throwing himself into challenges and even trying to take players on down the wing just to try and maintain possession. He's not as Dynamic as say JOB is but he can mix it at this level and does have a creative threat when looking to play in the forwards.

Slocombe, Turner, Rawlinson and Brindley are quite rightly rated highly for last night and how encouraging was it to see us change shape when we had to after Bakayogo was pulled off (calf injury) and replaced by Bird who looked like he had been playing all game.

Still a long way to go but the signs are there that we have a settled and effective defense at last, long may it continue.

p.s. I like Rose but his poor decision making and lack of urgency on the ball last night was very frustrating.

Rose kept playing himself into trouble and putting pressure on his team mates with poor passes, other than that he was fine, put in a few decent tackles and spread the ball out wide to Brindley a few times, people were moaning at Enzio to get out wide but him going inside meant Brindley was in acres of space time and time again in the first half and at one point both of our full backs had pushed right up and were level with our strikers.

Rose's problem is he's not as good at holding off players as he seems to think he is and ends up getting caught in possession, it's easy to say it from the stands but he just needs to do the simple thing quicker as he's not the kind of player to hold someone off and play his way out of trouble in a tight spot like we used to see Aborah and Boucaud do

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Slocombe 8 - good distribution, crucial save to keep us ahead, didn't do a lot wrong.
    Brindley 8 - brilliant goal-saving block in the first half, always in the right place.
    Rawlinson 7 - solid performance, competed well.
    Turner 8* - won nearly everything in the air and on the ground. The organiser and leader we have been lacking at the back.
    Bakayogo 7 - did a good job on the left, could have been used more when he found space.
    Shields 5.5 - a few good moments but looks a bit lightweight.
    Rose 5.5 - covered the ground well but too many poor passes and too much dithering on the ball.
    Booty 6 - good free kick goal, could have done a bit more on the creative side.
    Enzio 6 - worked a few good shooting positions but didn't really trouble their keeper.
    Wootton 6.5 - good hold up play and always offerd a target, not much attacking threat.
    Thomas 5 - struggled to get involved, although to be fair he didn't get much service.

Doyle 6 - helped us keep possession late in the game.
    Dennis 8 - lively from the minute he came on, great finish to clinch the points.
    Bird 6 - did what he had to do in a back three.

Maybe a bit of a flattering scoreline but I think we just about shaded it. We are looking more solid at the back, but the slow build up to our attacking play means we struggle to create many chances. Fair play to Ardley, I'm still not convinced by him but his methods are gaining points at the moment, let's hope it continues.
    Fully agree with those marks EP

Slocombe 7.5 good distribution, kicking better, couple of great saves but still punches too much for my liking
    Brindley 8.5 my MoM, tireless running down the swing, great crossing, tracked back, solid defensively, showed passion throughout.
    Rawlinson 7.5 solid no nonsense centre back.
    Turner 8 - does exactly what it says on the tin. Solid, commands area, gets rid of the ball quickly, aerially dominant.
    Bakayogo 7 - did a good job on the left, ran well tracked back well but end product a but lacking .
    Shields 6 - lightweight yes, short on fitness yes, but lots of efforts, some good passing and runs at defences.
    Rose 4.5 - terrible all night long, lightweight, dithered and got caught in possession, poor passing, looked completely out of sorts.
    Booty 6 - clever free kick. Dangerous around the area, good passing but looks short of match fitness.
    Enzio 7- worked tirelessly especially tracking back to support defence, couple of great crosses but let down too often with end product.
    Wootton 7 - At last the target man we needed. Wins almost every ball in the air. Good pace, strong in possession, never stops running.
    Thomas - 6.5 some said when we signed him because lazy. Every single time I watch him he covers every inch of grass.Always looking to get forward but not Afraid to drop back and support midfield.great energy, effort just lacks killer instinct in front of goal sometimes.

Doyle 6 - good organiser, strengthened a tired midfield but I'm yet to be convinced he is the answer.
    Dennis 8 - hungry fast goal poacher who looked very sharp and scored a fabulous goal off the post.lets see him start.
    Bird 6.5 shored up defence , no nonsense and for me a better longer throw than rose.

Ardley - 8.5 Tactically got it right tonight and also changed tact in second half when needed too. He encourages team throughout and gives strong direction. Hope he doesn't revert to type and pick Doyle without hesitation .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast