+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belper FA Cup £10

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    John Anthony as well. Peter Burton was always 'Shonky'. Bobby Tait ran Arnold Sports for many years.

Joe Boucher was my first footballing hero. I went on a team coach to Frickley and was in total awe when we picked him up.

Spent many happy hours at Gedling Road - real shame when they moved the club out.
    Oh yes, John Anthony too. Joe Boucher I remember as a goal-scoring traditional centre forward and very prolific for Arnold. I recall Bobby Tait's sports shop opening as i think I was at the British School opposite at the time. There was a huge crowd in the street outside as I think three Forest players were at the opening. Maybe ian Storey-Moore was one of them i can't quite remember. Bobby went on to run the Flying Horse on High Street for some years then became a local councillor. I was going to use the name 'Shonky' for Pete Burton but didn't think anyone would remember it!

Roger Rann's books 'King Of The Recs!' and 'When Marys Were Kings!' are a great read for anyone with an interest in the Arnold team and the town generally. They tell how hard the club worked to build up the Gedling Road facilities from nothing, the teams having used to get changed down Hallam's Lane at the swimming baths.

I felt it was a great shame when they had to leave the town. Their new home's facilities are clearly much superior but it's difficult for people to visit a game unless they have a car. It was great when it was smack in the centre of the local community and you could walk through the market place and nip in the Friar Tuck for a quick pint before the game. Happy days.

Them Belper lads sold nearly 900 tictacs !!!

Tom Whewell
    @whewell_tom
    899 tickets have been sold for
    @BelperTownFC
    fa cup game against
    @Official_NCFC
    . COYN
    5:13 PM · Oct 12, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123