+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tammy Abraham: England prepared to walk off over racist abuse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tammy Abraham: England prepared to walk off over racist abuse

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49980927

I agree something needs to be done, some fans can take too far but let’s not get over confident and walk off at the slightest remark.

Tbh I don’t know why some get upset over words, yes I know some go too far but why get upset over a moron with a few words ?

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Tbh I don’t know why some get upset over words, yes I know some go too far but why get upset over a moron with a few words ?
    With all due respect, that's because you've most likely lived a live of comparative privilege of not having to be subjected to abuse based on historic and brutal oppression of your ancestors. The why people get upset is simple: we're all human and we experience things a certain way. We cannot always simply rationalise those feelings away because someone happens to be a moron. If you can, good for you, but don't place unfair expectations on victims of abuse for not handling things the way you might think you would.

I'd say be thankful, as I am, that you don't know what it's like to have to experience that. Also try to be understanding and sympathetic to those that do sadly experience it.

Will walking off help,if who ever teams losing they will just chant to stop the game,carry on & don’t let the idiots win but like john2 says I’ve never been racially abused.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    With all due respect, that's because you've most likely lived a live of comparative privilege of not having to be subjected to abuse based on historic and brutal oppression of your ancestors. The why people get upset is simple: we're all human and we experience things a certain way. We cannot always simply rationalise those feelings away because someone happens to be a moron. If you can, good for you, but don't place unfair expectations on victims of abuse for not handling things the way you might think you would.

I'd say be thankful, as I am, that you don't know what it's like to have to experience that. Also try to be understanding and sympathetic to those that do sadly experience it.
    Have you anything to say about the link I’ve put on?

I had a few things to say about the content of your post, surely that's more relevant than responding to a third party article!?

In fact, you literally asked a question which I directly addressed. I despair.

I had a few things to say about the content of your post, surely that's more relevant than responding to a third party article!?

In fact, you literally asked a question which I directly addressed. I despair.
    Yes it’s obviously relevant to you because that’s what you wait for but the main point I put the thread up was about the link which include football which you clearly don’t come on here for.

Btw just because I’m the wrong colour does not mean I don’t understand abuse.

Have you never been racially abused John?

I got called a white ba$tard and a white honky quite a few times in my school days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Have you never been racially abused John?

I got called a white ba$tard and a white honky quite a few times in my school days.
    The key thing to consider, which some people seem bewilderingly ignorant towards, is context.

Some people make very offensive jokes with their friends about horrific subjects like, and forgive me, dead babies.

Sometimes people make these jokes and sometimes their friends find them funny. I'd personally not partake, but when done in a context of silliness between friends it is extraordinarily different to making the same joke to a friend who has recently suffered such a heartbreaking bereavement.

Surely with this example, you can see how context would make the same 'level' of comment extraordinarily different depending on the experience and history of the person experiencing it.

If white people had been systematically and violently oppressed, enslaved, trafficked by ancestors of someone who was now using the same racist language towards me in 2019, I might find that a very different context than a white person getting called a 'white *******'.

If people genuinely believe that getting called a 'white b*stard' is equally upsetting to them as it probably is to a historically oppressed people facing that equivalent language used towards their race... I think they're an ignorant, delicate snowflake with zero comprehension of context.

The Bulgarian FA have said that the idea of England players walking off is offensive.

Bit like Fritzel calling someone a bit handsy with their own daughter.

If white people had been systematically and violently oppressed, enslaved, trafficked by ancestors of someone who was now using the same racist language towards me in 2019, I might find that a very different context than a white person getting called a 'white *******'.
    Bulgarians enslaved and trafficked Africans? When was this?

And white people were trafficked and enslaved, the vast majority of them women, snatched from coastal villages to be used as *** slaves, have you never heard of the Barbary Slave Trade?

And aren't the grooming gangs just a modern version of that? Haven't those girls been trafficked and enslaved?

Many people of different races and religions have been slaves but you only concentrate on the European involvement in the transatlantic slave trade, you ignore the Africans who sold fellow Africans into slavery, you ignore the Arab slave trade that existed for many centuries and only relatively recently ended.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast